Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShaw

Anyone use poultry incubators?
    #992071 - 10/25/02 08:08 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I've been having trouble keeping my incubator temp where i want it with an aquarium thurmometer. My friend has a poultry incubator likethis one

it has a backup thurmostat, humidity and air flow controlls and would fit alot of quart jars. I can't use it for my purposes, but does anyone use incubators like this one? I'm going to try to make one out of a plastic cooler with the internal parts of an old incubator i can probably have for free. I know it has a heating element and thurmostat, but nothing for humidity. I'm also not sure the thurmostat will be big enough, so there will be some tests involved.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: Anyone use poultry incubators? [Re: Shaw]
    #992082 - 10/25/02 08:21 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hey... problem with aquarium incubator is that there is little surface area for heat to diffuse... especially in a small jar... so... lets see.... maybe get one of those 3mil contractors trash bags or thicker... put bag in your current incubator.... get a plastic bottle with cap... cut bottem off.. you need the cap part.. then epoxy the bag opening to the bottle... this part would require you to tie it up and glue the hell out of it... we need no leaks.... put water inside the bad after glue is *cured* not dried... read directions on glue.... it should be water tight.... and since your not filling the bag.. there should be no pressure leaks.... and put enough water so that there are no isolated puddles... you want maximum surface area for heat to dissapate... .. if you know.. 3mil contractor bags are huge... so you probly have to cut it before you do the glueing.. or tie it up or something... then when everythign is set... tweak for best performance.... i would put the bag water to 27c.... the reason for bottle is so that the heater is not touching plastic bag... who knows how hot the surface of the heater may get....

i would say this is pretty cheat.. considering that you only need 1 garbage bag... some glue.. maybe 2 epoxy or something you can think of.. and of course you probly own the heater you allready have... ;]

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

InvisibleShaw

Re: Anyone use poultry incubators? [Re: tsimehc]
    #992084 - 10/25/02 08:25 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Instead if a contractor's bag, why not use a rubber hot water bottle. There about the right size and usually rectangular. I dunno if the heater touching the rubber/plastic would matter. Is it possible that the water would evaporate to cool the heater and cause the bag to explode?

--------------------

Offlinetsimehc
freak
    #992094 - 10/25/02 09:00 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

reason of using bags is because it can be used to line your current incubator with warm water....the water doesnt get hot enough to be vapor.. and your not filling the bag.. so there would be no fear of explosion... remember you not filling the area in your incubator.. but to increase surface area for heat to dissapate without takeing up alot of space...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Edited by tsimehc (10/25/02 09:01 AM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #992467 - 10/25/02 11:52 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Any old metal file cabinet w/drawers works well as a JAR incubator. They are cheap~~second hand, come in all sizes & all you have to do is place a heating pad ON LOW underneath it.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Anonymous

Re: Anyone use poultry incubators? [Re: SixTango]
    #992776 - 10/25/02 02:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I use a Hova-Bator Incubator it made for reptile eggs it works very will keeps the temp at what you set it for they run about $40.00. I used it for my JUngle carpet pythons when I had them I place it in the closet you can fit 12 or more 1/2 pint JAR in it. I used the tub for away but nothing comes close to this it's small and keeps the temp you set it at. germination starts by the second day by 7 days they are 100% on the 9th or 10th day I birth them or case them. I set it at 86 degrees the JAR just take off. Just a cheap easy way to incubate your jars. the dim. for the incubator are 18"X18"X7-1/2" great for small places.

Here a link for the incubators
Incubator

InvisibleShaw

Re: Anyone use poultry incubators? [Re: ]
    #993057 - 10/25/02 04:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That's what i have. The hova bator is styrofoam right? I was going to use it's componente in a plastic cooler so i could fit quart jars. Maybe i could make somw sort of lift for the lid to increase the hight.

--------------------

OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

#993305 - 10/25/02 06:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think you guys got the right idea about the egg incubators.

The piece of equipment that does most of the work in them is called a wafer thermostat. They can be had for around 20 bucks online.

They look like this.

The thermostat is basically two discs that look simalar to the top of a tin can. The disks are filled with a gas that expand and contract with fluctuations in temp.
Depending on witch one you get they have a range of 70 to 110F or 75 to 115F
With an accuracy of +/- 1 degree.

I gots me one. Ill let you all know when I get it going.

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

InvisibleShaw

#993451 - 10/25/02 07:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

do you know the range of degree in your reptile hovabator? I cannot get my poultry hovabator to go below 90.

Damn it. I had one of those but didn't know what it was. Maybe i can find the peices to it.

--------------------

Edited by Shaw (10/25/02 07:35 PM)

Anonymous

#993728 - 10/25/02 09:39 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I can get mine down too 74 with all the air holes open I have both one with/without the turbo fan,, The fan one I can get down in the low 70's the other will only get down too 82 or higher it's stays within 1 degree at all times I have cut my spore germination to complete colonization of the cake by almost a full week before with the tub I would have to wait 2-1/2 to 3 weeks now it down too 2 weeks or less most have full colonizied by day 8. I would invest in the waffle and put it a tub or just buy the complete incubator.

InvisibleShaw

#994671 - 10/26/02 12:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I looked around and i actually have 2 hova bators. One has the turbo fan. There old and the body on one is a bit smashed. I can't get either down to 86. They won't fit my quart jars anyways. I'm looking at having to replace the body with a cooler, and the thurmostat with a reptile one. I might as well get a heating cable that fits my new container, so if i just add a fan i have a completely new setup.

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

Re: Anyone use poultry incubators? [Re: HisStudent]
    #998785 - 10/27/02 11:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I've found a few places to buy wafer thermostats, but don't know how to set one up. If anyone knows how to do this, please pm me. I'm looking to set up a plywood incubator. I'm going to be using a small duct fan and a heating cable from a hovabator. I have the physical aspects worked out, but don't wanna start untill i have figured out what all i have to order for the thermostat, and how to hook it up.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals