Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomSkin
Liberty or Death

Loc: Don't Tread on Me
My Bi-polar brother wants to dose...
    #992843 - 10/25/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

But he's worried it may fuck with his head a little, mainly because I read somewhere that manic depressive people should avoid psychedelics at all costs. He handles weed fine, been smokin for years. I was thinking about giving him 1 or 1.5 dried grams, and if he likes it, next time I'll give him more. That sound safe? I really don't wanna cause any problems with his mental health.

--------------------
---
Stay gold.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCryptic
WarpedCndn

Loc: Canada
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: ShroomSkin]
    #992984 - 10/25/02 03:37 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

BIG NO NO!

it wont kill him.. but he can get hardcore Worse with Depression, and will most likely have Horrible trip...

i highly suggest saying no

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

While the Trees Grow out of your Skin, Can i plant you so a forest will grow?
"When you want it, it goes away to Fast. Times you hate it always seem to last" - Marilyn Manson

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #994094 - 10/26/02 12:47 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Depends on his reasons for taking mushrooms in the first place. If it's just to get high then it's not really worth the risk. If it's a deep spiritual need and he's spent decades trying other things first then it could be worth it.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineMobMan
Stranger
    #994173 - 10/26/02 01:32 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

WRONG,
Im bi-polar and as long as hes not deppressed everthing will be fine if not better because pi-polars are naturally more creative. May be an enjoyable experience.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: Xlea321]
    #994179 - 10/26/02 01:37 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i agree with alex. if it's just out of curiosity or to get fucked up, i would avoid it at all costs. if it's spiritual or something,start low and be very,very careful.watch for signs of mania the day after.if he goes manic or something,never let him trip again. also,he should never combine lithium with psychedelics if he's on it.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflinePenguin
You can't be me I'm a Rockstar

Loc: On the Arctic ice shelf.
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: monoamine]
    #994380 - 10/26/02 05:53 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I dont know if this helps, but afriend of mine comes from home where his mother is bi-polar and she is also an alcoholic. This is not pretty  :shocked:when she is drunk...

Give it a try. Stranger things have happened.

--------------------
The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: MobMan]
    #994398 - 10/26/02 06:49 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"bipolars are naturally more creative"...um, no? No need in being just as guilty of spreading disinformation as the DEA.

--------------------

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: chunder]
    #994561 - 10/26/02 10:50 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

"bipolars are naturally more creative"...um, no? No need in being just as guilty of spreading disinformation as the DEA.

Chunder ~
Perhaps it would be wise for you to know (definitively) what
you speak of, prior to making such a comment. It appears you need to
follow your own advice.

The internet is a wonderful tool. The world is literally at one's fingertips. If
you were to use just one of the many search functions available, researched
Bipolar Disorder (aka Manic Depression), you would find there is a VERY
strong link regarding said mental disorder and creativity.

The following is one of many articles regarding this very subject:

Creative Mind Shares Traits with Mentally Ill
By Alison McCook Reuters May 29, 2002

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The wildly creative genius often walks a fine line, as many of humankind's greatest minds have edged into the darkness of mental illness. Now a new study shows that creative people tend to share more personality traits with the mentally ill than they do with the middle-of-the-road masses.

This finding suggests that both creativity and manic depression, also called bipolar disorder, may share some of the same genetic underpinnings, Connie M. Strong of Stanford University in California told Reuters Health.

"Both bipolar disorder and creativity probably are genetically driven, and may be related to the same set of genetic predispositions," she suggested.

Strong and her co-author Dr. Terence A. Ketter measured creativity and personality traits in 48 patients with bipolar disorder, 25 patients with depression, 32 graduate students pursuing creative disciplines and 47 healthy people pursuing a relatively uncreative path in life.

Bipolar disorder is marked by extreme mood swings from euphoria and excessive energy to severe depression and hopelessness. These drastic swings can damage the person's relationships and affect their work, and sometimes lead to suicide. Depression is sometimes called a "unipolar" condition in that it is only one half of the equation that makes up bipolar disorder.

Strong and Ketter found that both creative students and those with bipolar disorders shared several personality traits. Such individuals were more open, and more neurotic and moody than the other study participants, according to findings presented at the American Psychiatric Association's annual meeting held in Philadelphia.

People with neuroticism tend to have more anxiety, lower self-esteem and lower tolerance for stress than other individuals, and they may feel alienated, victimized and resentful, the researchers note.

In an interview with Reuters Health, Strong explained that openness is a trait associated with a willingness to embrace new experiences, as well as being imaginative, curious and unconventional. These traits are often found in creative people, she added.

Because similar traits are found in those with bipolar disorder it might indicate that both creativity and the mental illness stem from a similar genetic predisposition.

"It makes sense that they are two potential outcomes of a shared predisposition," she said.

Indeed, previous studies have shown that there is a much higher rate of bipolar disorder in creative individuals than those in the general population.

Strong said that people with bipolar disorder might also have creative tendencies because they see the world in two ways, with the same surroundings appearing differently to them depending on whether they are feeling manic or depressed.

This "double view" of the world could allow manic depressive patients to be more open, she noted, one of the hallmark traits of creativity.

The bipolar patients that participated in Strong's study appeared to be many times as creative as patients with depression, and showed even higher levels of creativity relative to those without mental illness. In fact, creativity among treated bipolar patients matched that seen in the graduate students pursuing creative degrees.

Strong added that it was important to note that bipolar disorder patients showed high creativity despite the fact that they were being treated for their condition. Many patients are afraid to take medication for their disorder out of fear that it will impair their creativity, but these findings seem to suggest otherwise, Strong said.

In reply to:

If it's just to get high then it's not really worth the risk.

Cannot agree more with Alex123. Life itself is a miracle. Why risk damaging
the experience of life for a high?

In reply to:

start low and be very,very careful.watch for signs of mania the day after.

If your brother insists on an experience, moderation would be key, as
Grandmasterfat has stated. Likewise, the danger lies in the days and weeks
to follow the experience (in a Bipolar individual). Because the serotonin
levels in the brain are manipulated in the mushroom experience, the stage
could be effectively set for a manic episode to follow.

I personally would not risk the health of anybody other than myself! Good luck
to you. Research the topic further before attempting something that could
possibly be detrimental to your brother's health.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Offlinepezbomb
exploding pez

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: Peaceful_Nomad]
    #994592 - 10/26/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

My mom is a bipolar alcoholic too. Things are definitely not pretty when she drinks. About a month ago she drank draino while drunk and was in intensive care at the hospital for two days. Then in the hospital for 4 more. They had to cut a hugeass hole in her throat so she could even breath. She started drinking again last week.  :confused: What the fuck is she thinking? :frown: 

--------------------
-------
The golden age was the age when gold didn't reign.

OfflineMobMan
Stranger
    #995825 - 10/26/02 11:13 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for you great post Peaceful_Nomad, and chunder please make sure you know what you are talking about before you start calling people liers.

Also it is my understanding that shrooms do not directly harm anyone with a mental illness but that the drug puts them into a world that they may not be able to handle. And after the trip it may change there thinking far more drasticly than somone without a mental disorder, if its for the better or for the worse. Also that a bad trip (just like ANY extremely tramatic event) may bring out a borderline mental illness. Please correct me if im wrong.

Honestly I suggest you give him the shrooms and watch him sober, you need to be the judge. Because honestly if he wants to try them that bad hes going to do it if you give it to him or not (they arn't that hard to find). Just start low.

Hope it works out

OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Loc: London UK
    #996919 - 10/27/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

NO.  Others may disagree but I live with my bi polar wife (she's a rapid cycler) and needs lots of drugs to control it.  From anti psychotics to Lithium.  If your bro takes any medication for his illness DON'T let him touch a shroom it can have VERY BAD :mad: effects and totally fuck him up :frown: 

--------------------
What a terrible thing to lay on somebody with a head full of acid

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: ItsAllGood]
    #996996 - 10/27/02 01:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i took shrooms while they had me on prozac (and i hear any anti-depressant will do the same) and it was totally whacked-out dude.......

I would not recommend it at ALL for one who's bi-polar.. and if its going to happen no matter what, its best to stop all medication for at least a couple weeks, which can be a bad idea to begin with...

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
just my opinion..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMobMan
Stranger
    #997223 - 10/27/02 03:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well my condition is so mild i never had to take meds for it, you might want to take there advise. My so called "highs and lows" are not noticable but for sone reason my doctor insists im bi-polar, granted bi-polars come in many different forms

Invisiblebrowho4d
The Brody Who?What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Incoherent
    #997396 - 10/27/02 05:12 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

yes let him decide for himself and tell him about the depth of reality he will feel from them and make sure that the fact that the world is evil and cruel is no big suprise to him and sit him in a corner with lights music
Remove any chances of the news popping up on the tv and he will be O.K. 
Double Garentie :laugh: :shocked: 

--------------------
THIS PROCEDURE HAS NOT BEEN VALIDATED FOR STERILITY HOWEVER THOUGH IT HAS BEEN SPRAYED WITH DUSTER.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: My Bi-polar brother wants to dose... [Re: browho4d]
    #1005822 - 10/30/02 10:30 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i dunno man. my brother was also bipolar and it was a pretty bad situation, first because the doctors didnt realise he was bipolar and not just depressed so the ygave him anti depressents which realy blasted him to the moon.. then he mixed his antidepressents with mush.. ZOOM. he was gone for months at some i dunno mental hospital type place. on the one hand im sure it was a scary ass experience, on the other hand he says hed do the same thing again if he had the chance to live it over. he says he gained a lot of insight iinto life, and yeah, bi polars are definetly more creative (often) when he was in there he filled probably a hundred journals of really intense poetry and paintings, his room was full of totally warped collages, sculptures, everything, some of it is sheer genius and it still trips me out to read the shit when im high or sober. but i dunno, make sure hes not gonna be under the influence of medication for sure, and over all id say dont do it. just because he can handle pot.. well theres really no comparison at all. a bad mush trip can leave a mentally healthy person depressed.. so why take the risk?

OfflineTeTr0
Mmmmmmmmmm

Loc: Right here, where I belon...
    #1006316 - 10/30/02 12:14 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I am bi-polar as well & I tripped before, but had a bad trip.  I thought that the chemical imbalance in my brain had something to do with it so I put a post about it a while ago.  Everyone that wrote back told me to take a smaller dose next time & see if that helps.  Also, to do things while I am tripping, like listen to music, go outside, have someone with me that I trust & be in a comfortable setting.

I know that with me, I don't take any kind of medication for it, but if he does you might want to find out if that will aftect the trip at all first. 

I would suggest that if he really does want to try that he is ready for it & understand what he is going to do (reading stuff in here & whatnot) so that if his trip does start to go bad he can get back on track & have a good time.    :smile: 

--------------------
I know what you want, I can give it to you.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale