Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedingodoodle
Stranger
anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise)
    #9917710 - 03/05/09 03:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

is there any ?substrate?? that is as easy to use as brf
i know that wbs requires ventilation while conolizing with tyvek or silicone....
but is there anything that is as good without added effort.  (i have a pc)
i want to keep it simple for first time.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycoharry
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: dingodoodle]
    #9917770 - 03/05/09 03:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you don't need tyvek for wbs. just keep you piece of tinfoil over the top

--------------------
we create realitys in our minds based on our own experiences, rather than fact. my experiences in life have been insane, so in reality i am in fact, INSANE...
-ME

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

Loc: This Cannot Be Happening Flag
Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: mycoharry]
    #9917811 - 03/05/09 03:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

grains are easier than the pf tek if you ask me.  and silicone is for self healing injection ports tyvek or polyfil (a bag costs $2) are used for gas exchange.

OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: bait_]
    #9917825 - 03/05/09 03:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yep go make some grain or WBS or corn substrate. Sterilize. Inoculate spores. Colonize. Then mix with straight verm to spawn. The easiest way.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: Carcass]
    #9918088 - 03/05/09 04:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

dont use verm as a substrate
it does not preform well at all
spawn your WBS to coir/verm/coffee

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9918194 - 03/05/09 04:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i did the pf tek first because thats what everyone says is the easiest but i disagree. wbs is just as easy if not easier plus the harvest from the wbs will yield more shrooms in less space since you'll be using a casing layer. i also don't like cakes because the shrooms usually grow from the sides of the cakes and i don't like them growing towards each other or towards the sides, i'd rather them all grow straight and you need to use a casing layer to do that. casing layers scared me at first but they're a breeze don't let them intimidate you.

InvisibleMr. Bojangles
Breathe In
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty
Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: DZ]
    #9918216 - 03/05/09 04:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It doesn't get much easier than grains spawned to a monotub full of poo

--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

OfflineStuckintheskY
For the most part

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: Mr. Bojangles]
    #9918261 - 03/05/09 05:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Coir is fairly simple to spawn to. PH is already spot on and it's usually pretty clean without many contams.

--------------------
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become. "

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: StuckintheskY]
    #9918328 - 03/05/09 05:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

When you use a bulk substrate such as coir you do not need casing layers. I use WBS and spawn it to coir/coffee/verm, which is easy enough and brings huge yields compared to cakes. I never case my substrates and they fruit just fine.

And besides,

Quote:

you don't need tyvek for wbs. just keep you piece of tinfoil over the top

BS. You definetely DO need SOME kind of filter for ANY grain jars. Be it tyvek, micropore, polyfill or filter discs. I have a tek in my journal for making nice lid filters. Injection ports are easy to make from silicone and are very useful, you don't need to open your jars before birthing. Unless you want to use wedges or do g2g:s...

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineDeviou5
Urban Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: dead]
    #9918395 - 03/05/09 05:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I went for a wander around my local bulk food store looking for something to use as substrate.  BRF is hard to find in my area, and I couldn't be arsed to grind the whole grains up in my blender.  Plus BR is pretty expensive around here.  Walking down one of the aisles, I hit upon something called "3-Grain Cereal."  There was also a five-grain version, but it was more expensive.  I think the iteration my store carries contains barley, wheat and flax seeds.  Definitely the latter two, the first I could be wrong about.  Anyways, the stuff was fantastic and colonized lickety-split.  I prepared my jars just the same as the PF BRF method.  I got enough for 36 half-pint jars for less than a fiver.

IMO if you want to experiment with different substrates a bulk food store is the way to go.  I wonder how jujubes would colonize...?

Offlinemycoharry
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: Deviou5]
    #9919537 - 03/05/09 08:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BS. You definitely DO need SOME kind of filter for ANY grain jars. Be it tyvek, micropore, polyfill or filter discs

thats bullshit,Ive done hundreds of wbs jars with nothing more that a few holes in the lid and a piece of foil over top and Ive never had a single contam as a result.

--------------------
we create realitys in our minds based on our own experiences, rather than fact. my experiences in life have been insane, so in reality i am in fact, INSANE...
-ME

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: mycoharry]
    #9921356 - 03/06/09 05:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mycoharry said:
Quote:

BS. You definitely DO need SOME kind of filter for ANY grain jars. Be it tyvek, micropore, polyfill or filter discs

thats bullshit,Ive done hundreds of wbs jars with nothing more that a few holes in the lid and a piece of foil over top and Ive never had a single contam as a result.

Well hooray for you. Just because you made it work doesn't mean it will work for everyone. When giving advice to newbies you should always recommend the safest, most reliable proven procedures. Nothing personal, if you can colonize WBS without filters and feel that it works for you then by all means keep doing it. But it's not a good thing to recommend to newbies.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near Chicago
    #9921583 - 03/06/09 08:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i did the pf tek first because thats what everyone says is the easiest but i disagree. wbs is just as easy if not easier plus the harvest from the wbs will yield more shrooms in less space since you'll be using a casing layer.

I personally don't think that grains are all that more complicated than brf cakes, but it's true that cakes require a lot less investment.  You don't need a pressure cooker, and you don't need to pasteurize a bulk, but... :shrug:

OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: kiyote]
    #9921758 - 03/06/09 09:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

if you have a PC just make grain substrate. then mix it with coir-vermiculate-coffee. it's almost easier than PF-TEK.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: anything as easy as brf (hassle/time wise) [Re: Carcass]
    #9923465 - 03/06/09 02:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Whole brown rice can be prepared without a PC. I'm currently experimenting on a mixture of WBR and WBS. I haven't decided what to inoculate it with yet.

--------------------

Links:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9923861 - 03/06/09 03:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mycoharry said:
Quote:

I've been doing this long enough to know better.  Grain jars need to be filtered.  Foil isn't a filter.  Nobody does that for long before it catches up on them.  Most only try it the first grow, and then when they see white, they think it was a success. Of course, they never come back a week later to report it all went green overnight.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate