Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeppy
Stranger

Loc: TX
BRF Cake Spacing
    #9920487 - 03/05/09 11:13 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Hi! Im starting my first grow in a few days (whenever everything arrives in the mail <_<), and I have a question about fruiting substrate cakes. I cleaned out a filing cabinet very well and found a plastic storage container that fits inside perfectly. Kind of a covert operation. I drilled holes and made a semi-automatic FEA system (mini fan with a timer). I have 6 1/2 pint substrate jars and Im wondering if the cakes need lots of space in between them. With my current setup i can only see them having an inch or two in between them.

Also, Im trying to decide whether to dunk and roll the cakes right out of the jar, or to wait until after the first flush. Im not sure which method will produce more/bigger fruits.

One more question! Anyone know of a good heating pad or heat source for incubation? Its only 6 jars this time but Ill probably try more after this grow, so I dont want to buy another heat source.

By the way I ordered B+ spores. Thanks!

--------------------
yo!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycoharry
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: Peppy]
    #9920568 - 03/05/09 11:27 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

dont use anything. room temp is fine

--------------------
we create realitys in our minds based on our own experiences, rather than fact. my experiences in life have been insane, so in reality i am in fact, INSANE...
-ME

Offlineem3r1c
Stranger

Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: mycoharry]
    #9920663 - 03/05/09 11:51 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

mycoharry said:
dont use anything. room temp is fine

is this true even if room temp is around 48 at night and 56 during the day (in my basement,) or 63 at night and 68 during the day? otherwise I was thinking a space heater on a timer might do the trick

--------------------

Everything I say is a lie, because I smoke to much weed not to be afraid

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: em3r1c]
    #9921314 - 03/06/09 05:11 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Space heater in the same room, NO pad for incubating-you'll double your contam rate by heating jars directly.

Each cake (while fruiting) needs 1-2" between edge of foil and next cake foil/wall. IF foil is used on well drain perlite*recommended method.

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

OfflineTaoMonk
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere On A Mountain
    #9921318 - 03/06/09 05:14 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

As to the incubation, it may be the only thing a newb like myself has any experience with.  Here's the setup I've seen that works the best:
Two plastic tubs, roughly the same size.  Put something on the inside of the bottom tub to support the top one (using glass tumblers in the corners does the trick.  Fill bottom tub with water and an adjustable temp aquarium heater (20 bucks for a big one at wal mart).  Put jars in top tub, and set the top tub on the tumblers (or bricks, or whatever).  Now you have a heating system that is dependent on wet heat, not dry heat.  Dry heat can dry out your mix, kill your substrate, etc.  Get a thermometer (digital or old school) and put it in with the jars to make sure you're maintaining ideal temps for incubation (80-85 degrees f), fiddle with your adjustable aquarium heater to get that temp, and you're ready to roll.  You can incubate at room temp, but myc apparently will grow faster (and hence, colonize your jars faster) at the slightly higher temps.  If you're incubating in a basement that cold, you definitely should get a setup like this.  heating pad = uncontrollable temps and dry heat.  Mushrooms, and the Tao, do not favor extremes.

--------------------
"The best people and mushrooms are like water.
Water is good; it benefits all things and does not compete with them.
It dwells in lowly places that all disdain.
This is why it is so near to Tao." ~ Lao Tzu

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: TaoMonk]
    #9921329 - 03/06/09 05:26 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Anything over 83F inhibits myc growth, 76F is the ideal temp that jars should be stored for colonization. Remember that the inside of your jars will always be a couple degrees warmer than it's habitat.

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9921341 - 03/06/09 05:39 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

yeah and having them exposed to light while colonizing means they will pin quicker when birthed. having them in a sealed box isnt good for them either, they need breathing space for gas exchange, also when u open a sealed incubator the change in pressure will cause air to rush out/in your jars.

IME heat coming from one direction ie below will drive moisture upwards and may stall the jars as the moisture content in the bottom can be damaged. so long as the room theyre in can be maintained round 76 id turn that tub in tub into 2 FCs :laugh:

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

Edited by DeadDog (03/06/09 05:41 AM)

Offlineem3r1c
Stranger

Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: DeadDog]
    #9921503 - 03/06/09 07:27 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

DeadDog said:
yeah and having them exposed to light while colonizing means they will pin quicker when birthed. having them in a sealed box isnt good for them either, they need breathing space for gas exchange, also when u open a sealed incubator the change in pressure will cause air to rush out/in your jars.

IME heat coming from one direction ie below will drive moisture upwards and may stall the jars as the moisture content in the bottom can be damaged. so long as the room theyre in can be maintained round 76 id turn that tub in tub into 2 FCs :laugh:

I actually had the same idea and I have to say it was not well received, I actually starting using more of the space inside my incubator and decided on a shotgun FC instead.
EDIT: well I didn't really read your post all the way through, nvm

--------------------

Everything I say is a lie, because I smoke to much weed not to be afraid

Edited by em3r1c (03/06/09 07:30 AM)

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

#9921746 - 03/06/09 09:02 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Peppy said:
Hi! Im starting my first grow in a few days (whenever everything arrives in the mail <_<), and I have a question about fruiting substrate cakes. I cleaned out a filing cabinet very well and found a plastic storage container that fits inside perfectly. Kind of a covert operation. I drilled holes and made a semi-automatic FEA system (mini fan with a timer). I have 6 1/2 pint substrate jars and Im wondering if the cakes need lots of space in between them. With my current setup i can only see them having an inch or two in between them.

Also, Im trying to decide whether to dunk and roll the cakes right out of the jar, or to wait until after the first flush. Im not sure which method will produce more/bigger fruits.

One more question! Anyone know of a good heating pad or heat source for incubation? Its only 6 jars this time but Ill probably try more after this grow, so I dont want to buy another heat source.

By the way I ordered B+ spores. Thanks!

1. An inch or two between the cakes is perfectly fine that's how I like my fruiting chamber. Also it is actually better that way because it creates more humidity since the cakes are close together and the moisture evaporates off of them creating an extremely humid micro-climate right around the substrate which is perfect for good pinsets.

2. YOU ABSOLUTELY WANT TO DUNK AND ROLL BEFORE THE FIRST FLUSH NO MATTER WHAT! It really improves performance and yields TEN FOLD. Also, wait a full week after full colonization to birth your cakes. Once you see that the surface is completely colonized just leave it in the jars for an extra full 7 days. This is really underestimated because even if you birth right away they take a week before they pin anyway! and in that time it looses more moisture and the number 1 reason for good yields is WATER.

3. Incubating just creates more problems than it helps. Keep the jars at room temp. As close to 75 degrees as possible is perfect for the entire PF-Tek process.

--------------------
If I had a shotgun, you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you.
Because the bars are always open, and the time is always right, and if God's good word goes unspoken the music goes all night.

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

Re: BRF Cake Spacing [Re: NYGiants420]
    #9921807 - 03/06/09 09:18 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

DeadDog said:
also when u open a sealed incubator the change in pressure will cause air to rush out/in your jars.

As long as you have the dry verm barrier no contams can get in or out of your jars, so if you sterilized your jars properly and are using a dry verm barrier (which everyone shoukd) the only other possible way it can get contaminated is when you inoculate because that is the only thing that breaks the verm barrier. After that you need not worry about contams. But yes you shouldn't have them in a sealed environment anyway because they need air.

Quote:

yeah and having them exposed to light while colonizing means they will pin quicker when birthed.

That is not true. The time that it takes to pin is on a lot of factors including genetics. Although light does not effect colonizing mycelium, leaving them in the dark the whole time makes the light pinning trigger more effective. You get the best pinsets when all pinning triggers are combined at once. So leaving them in the dark until they are ready to be placed in the fruiting chamber makes the light pinning trigger that much more effective since they have not been exposed to light. So you have cakes that have consolidated for 7 days after full colonization, dunked for at least 24 hours, combined with bright light, 95% humidity, routine fanning and mistings  and you are on your way to good cakes.

--------------------
If I had a shotgun, you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you.
Because the bars are always open, and the time is always right, and if God's good word goes unspoken the music goes all night.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags