Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Loc: North Alabama
Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies?
    #9921613 - 03/06/09 08:26 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

I get a kick out of movies that portray Alabama as everyone having a blue-tick hound on the front porch and driving an antique pick-up with a gun rack.

It is this way in Forrest Gump, Crazy in Alabama, Sweet Home Alabama, My Cousin Vinny, etc.

It is probably true about the rural areas, but Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Tuscaloosa, and Auburn are actually really cool towns.

Don't alot of you folks have rednecks in the rural areas?

I would be interested in anyone's experience with their local rednecks.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has been to Alabama and thinks it is more hicks per capita than other states.

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #9921689 - 03/06/09 08:45 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
I get a kick out of movies that portray Alabama as everyone having a blue-tick hound on the front porch and driving an antique pick-up with a gun rack.

You mean thats not how it is?

In general, I think "red states" and or midwestern areas have more "hicks" and "rednecks" than coastal areas.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #9921738 - 03/06/09 09:00 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

given that I'm about 5 minutes from alabama and in a rural area,
I suspect there may be a couple of rednecks here

Quote:

they've all been fairly pleasant

keep in mind that the term redneck wasnt all that derogatory, it
was a term referring to farmers, they kept their eyes to the
dirt exposing the back of their neck to the sun, I guess all in
all I'm a redneck since I am a farmer

OfflineMello KittyS
Beautiful Burnout
Female User Gallery

Loc: Sanriotown, Harmonyland
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: badchad]
    #9921743 - 03/06/09 09:02 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

i never judge a place by a photo or a story, i have learned in life that the only way to truely know the feel of a place is to physically GO there.

it is this mentality that keeps me travelling and anywhere, i'll go anywhere atleast once. more people would travel to more places if they also thought this way.

honestly i have heard horrible things from everyone i have talked too that have gone to Alabama, and whats weird is they all say the same things which are basically the main stereotypes.

a friend of mine brought back a Canjo and that was quite cool, we learned to play a bunch of songs on it and he mixed them into his amBient works.

anyway sorry i went off on a tangent, my point is ... i still wish to visit Alabama regardless of what i hear.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Mello Kitty]
    #9921749 - 03/06/09 09:03 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Rednecks make me lawl - but they're good people.  Nothin quite like southern hospitality.

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: badchad]
    #9921789 - 03/06/09 09:12 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

You mean thats not how it is?

In general, I think "red states" and or midwestern areas have more "hicks" and "rednecks" than coastal areas.

Yes, probably so.  I live in Huntsville which is 50% engineers not native to Alabama, so it is quite different from the stereotypical image of the South.  Most people don't even have an accent.

Like I said though, outside of the major cities it is like 99% Evangelical-Republicans.  We have alot of dry counties in Alabama.  Have you ever even heard of a dry county?  That means no alcohol sales.  People can buy alcohol outside of the counties and take it home, but it has to be in the trunk.  You could get arrested for having an unopened bottle of wine in a grocery bag in your backseat.

But in Huntsville, I can go to the Hookah Lounge and drink beer, wine, kratom infusions, smoke Salvia and Spice Gold and watch dirty movies all in one excellent public place!  :borfase:  It's quite different from county to county.

--------------------

InvisibleSvampViking
Går med pumor
Male

#9921809 - 03/06/09 09:19 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

Quote:

I heard the term came from West Virginian miners.  It used to be that the mining companies would fight against unionization, those who supported unionization showed their support by wearing red bandanas around their necks.

--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

Everything is everything, and everything is becoming itself.

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#9921837 - 03/06/09 09:25 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

Quote:

I like your perspective on this.  Do you find that alot of rednecks, though they may be nice folks, really have an unexcusable tendency to degrade the view of blacks as a whole?  I work in the construction field as an electrician (just an office asshole now) and I was always on the lookout for someone who has an accent that was not a racist, but I haven't found one yet!

--------------------

OfflineShroomerSharp
Bow to no one
Male

#9921858 - 03/06/09 09:35 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

everybody is racist at some point or another so everyone is a racist. but i do agree the rednecks n hillbillies around here are all extremely racist.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#9921868 - 03/06/09 09:38 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
I like your perspective on this.  Do you find that alot of rednecks, though they may be nice folks, really have an unexcusable tendency to degrade the view of blacks as a whole?

honestly, there seems to be far less racism from both blacks and
whites out here, I believe it lends it's self to many things
some of which is that small town 'everyone knows everyone else'
and acceptance within the community, historically the area I'm
is has apparently been an oddity because there's many documents
that make reference to the blacks and indians in this area as
being well respected by the whites, one black family in
particular, free men prior to the civil war, owned a great deal
of land and several businesses

this was never a 'sundown' town

Quote:

I was always on the lookout for someone who has an accent that was not a racist, but I haven't found one yet!

I think maybe you look to find the racism, I've encountered more
racists in the large cities than I have in the rural areas, at
least until I've been up north... the racism I see in atlanta
comes more from blacks than whites, in the suburbs it's more
from whites, in both instances it tends to be those under 35
that really carry on the most, over 50 I rarely see it

but I'm also not looking for racists

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9921972 - 03/06/09 10:06 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

I would say that most everyone I have confronted on their racism has been under 35, like you say.  And maybe I have been guilty of "looking for racists," but I really feel as if I stick my neck out alot, by speaking out against prejudice comments made by whites when no blacks are present.

As far as black people being racist, for the most part I don't feel that it is as offensive, seeing as how they are the group that has the history of being oppressed.

Example: I have heard white people say that blacks are racist because the NAACP is only out to advance blacks, and complain about what would be said if white people wanted to have an organization for the advancement of whites.  This is obviosly ridiculous, because of the fact that the reason African-Americans started the NAACP is because of their oppression by whites.

I have also heard alot of chatter about racism not being a problem in America, because we now have a black president.  But I don't see how having a black president is supposed to balance the tipping scale.  The racial disparities for people in prison for drug crimes is appalling.  I believe the majority of the reason for the disparities is racial profiling by redneck cops, who just happen to search alot more black peoples cars for drugs that whites.

So you really don't hear alot af white people complaining about black people?  I don't know how many co-workers I have heard make insinuations about how Barack Obama being in office is going to result in a disasterous event with welfare policy.  Ignorance abounds!

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#9922003 - 03/06/09 10:15 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

As far as black people being racist, for the most part I don't feel that it is as offensive, seeing as how they are the group that has the history of being oppressed.

Give me a break... that so ignorant its shocking.  Lose the white guilt man.

InvisibleGeomancer
Seeker of Wisdom
Loc: the shadows of your mind
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: DieCommie]
    #9922033 - 03/06/09 10:24 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

SvampViking said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

Quote:

I heard the term came from West Virginian miners.  It used to be that the mining companies would fight against unionization, those who supported unionization showed their support by wearing red bandanas around their necks.

Yeah, I had always heard something like that as well.  I also remember seeing a thing on history channel or A&E or one of those channels a while back that also had said the same thing.

--------------------
:stoneowl:                                                                                                :watchingyou:                                                                                                :stoneowl:

Offlineflip3084
greenteajunkie4life
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North Augusta, SC
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Geomancer]
    #9922035 - 03/06/09 10:24 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Yes

--------------------

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: DieCommie]
    #9922042 - 03/06/09 10:25 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
Quote:

Give me a break... that so ignorant its shocking.  Lose the white guilt man.

It is shocking to suggest that white racism has had a more negative effect than black racism in this country?  How so?

You are going to have to elaborate if want to offer a remote fraction of a valid point. 

I don't see what is so ignorant about that comment. 

What is a decent example of black racism, in your opinion?

I gave a few examples of white racism that I have encountered.

--------------------

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

#9922059 - 03/06/09 10:32 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

the stereotype probably has to do with alabamas history of being one of the fiercest resistors of integration/civil rights and racist members of the state government

--------------------

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: 2859558484]
    #9922151 - 03/06/09 10:50 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

wowitch17 said:
the stereotype probably has to do with alabamas history of being one of the fiercest resistors of integration/civil rights and racist members of the state government

I agree.  Mississippi, too.  For some reason, Mississippi just doesn't have the punchline appeal, though.

Typically, movies making innocent fun of Southerners are set in Alabama and dramatic movies about the beginning of the civil rights era are set in Mississippi.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: 2859558484]
    #9922276 - 03/06/09 11:16 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

you may have a lot more to learn about history, there is no
single group that has been oppressed, blacks oppressed blacks,
whites have oppressed whites, each has oppressed the other and
everyone has oppressed other races of people, if you wish to
toss religion into the mix then you're talking the same game
with new names... the japanese invaded china and killed and
oppressed millions, the chinese have done the same

to say blacks are entitled to be racists, that in it's self is racism

Quote:

Example: I have heard white people say that blacks are racist because the NAACP is only out to advance blacks, and complain about what would be said if white people wanted to have an organization for the advancement of whites.  This is obviosly ridiculous, because of the fact that the reason African-Americans started the NAACP is because of their oppression by whites.

are they wrong? is it wrong for the blacks to now oppress whites
through legislation preventing all white organizations, why is
there no eskimo history month, no indian television station, no
national association of white peoples... could it be because
some jokers have decided that discrimination against whites is
now acceptable?  the way I see things, discrimination is
discrimination regardless of who is on the receiving end

Quote:

I have also heard alot of chatter about racism not being a problem in America, because we now have a black president.  But I don't see how having a black president is supposed to balance the tipping scale.  The racial disparities for people in prison for drug crimes is appalling.

do you believe that blacks are unjustly accused, prosecuted or
convicted of crimes? is it possible that many of these hispanics
and african americans are actually innocent? are we expected to
believe that the judicial system is prejudiced and that many of
these convicts didnt have prior offenses or just try playing the
race card in court and having that affect their sentence, I know
if I were a judge the last thing I want to hear is 'this is
societies fault, may ancestors were slaves so now I hold up
liquor stores for my compensation'... excuses arent a suitable
defense nor do they display remorse for having comitted a crime

there's far too many blacks in positions of power, far too many
successful blacks, men and women that have graduated college,
earned degrees in many professions, these people are doctors,
lawyers, politicians, one even made it to the presidency, how is
it possible that they can claim this bias against them?

Quote:

I believe the majority of the reason for the disparities is racial profiling by redneck cops, who just happen to search alot more black peoples cars for drugs that whites.

I'd be all for that except for one things, modern cultural
stereo types, in the city of atlanta there are more black
officers than white, still more blacks are arrested for drugs,
I'm of the belief that music is a defining factor, take a loot
at whom many of these kids idolize, rappers that claim that
being gangsters and thugs is a righteous lifestyle, that dealing
drugs and drive by shootings are the way things should be
handled in the black community... hell, ask yourself, just how
many white gangs are there in america

Quote:

So you really don't hear alot af white people complaining about black people?  I don't know how many co-workers I have heard make insinuations about how Barack Obama being in office is going to result in a disasterous event with welfare policy.  Ignorance abounds!

I hear lots of complaints about barack, in fact if you look at
my sig, you'll see I'm no big fan and do a bit of bitching about
him myself, you'll be happy to know I'd bitch about any
president regardless of color, I did about carter and I was just
a kid, I did about reagan and nothing had changed, same with
both the bushs, and clinton... but I suppose that me disagreeing
wth a political goal of the new president makes me a racist
simply because he's black and I'm not, it surely couldnt be
because he's adopted bad policies and gone back on the most
important campaign promises he's made

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9922294 - 03/06/09 11:19 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Geomancer said:
Quote:

SvampViking said:

Yeah, I had always heard something like that as well.  I also remember seeing a thing on history channel or A&E or one of those channels a while back that also had said the same thing.

it was used in the US in the 1600s, before there were miners
in west virginia, before that it was in scotland, many that
opposed the church of england also wore the red cloth on their necks

because many of the settlers in the appalaichains were scottish
it was adopted during the miners strikes

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#9922499 - 03/06/09 12:01 PM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

single group that has been oppressed, blacks oppressed blacks,
whites have oppressed whites, each has oppressed the other and
everyone has oppressed other races of people, if you wish to
toss religion into the mix then you're talking the same game
with new names... the japanese invaded china and killed and
oppressed millions, the chinese have done the same

It is outside of the point to bring up the genocide in Rwanda, for example, of blacks oppressing blacks.  I thought we were discussing America, where whites have consistently oppressed blacks and blacks have absolutely not oppressed whites.

Quote:

are they wrong? is it wrong for the blacks to now oppress whites
through legislation preventing all white organizations, why is
there no eskimo history month, no indian television station, no
national association of white peoples... could it be because
some jokers have decided that discrimination against whites is
now acceptable?  the way I see things, discrimination is
discrimination regardless of who is on the receiving end

What legislation?  I didn't realize that blacks were collectively banding together as one, in an effort to create laws to keep the white man down.  If there was any need for white people to advance from oppression, then I am all for the NAAWP!  But in reality-land, Jim Crow Laws and public lynchings greatly outweigh the injustices of Black Entertainment Television and Black History Month.

Quote:

do you believe that blacks are unjustly accused, prosecuted or
convicted of crimes? is it possible that many of these hispanics
and african americans are actually innocent? are we expected to
believe that the judicial system is prejudiced and that many of
these convicts didnt have prior offenses or just try playing the
race card in court and having that affect their sentence, I know
if I were a judge the last thing I want to hear is 'this is
societies fault, may ancestors were slaves so now I hold up
liquor stores for my compensation'... excuses arent a suitable
defense nor do they display remorse for having comitted a crime

Yes we are to believe that the judicial system is prejudiced.  This is not just my opinion.  I will brush up on my history of irrelevent oppressions of random cultures, as you suggest, but you may want to brush up on your current events.  2008 saw the release of not one but three reports documenting in exhaustive detail how extremely skewed drug policing is in terms of the way it targets minorities. (Actually, one of the reports was released in December 2007, but whatever.)  The reports are Human Rights Watch: Targeting Blacks: Drug Law Enforcment and Race in the United States (May 2008), The Sentencing Project: Disparity by Geography: The War on Drugs in America's Cities (May 2008), and the Justice Policy Institute: The Vortex: The Concentrated Racial Impact of Drug Imprisonment and the Characteristics of Punitive Counties (December 2007).  These three reports all document one basic reality, which is that all people use drugs, no matter whether they are rich or poor, no matter what color their skin might be, and no matter what part of town they live in. Drug policing, drug arrests and drug prosecutions, however, focus overwhelmingly on street-level interdiction in poor, minority neighborhoods, where it takes the least work for cops to make busts. The result is nothing more and nothing less than what can be seen any day of the week by walking into any state's Superior Court and checking out who is on trial: it's overwhelmingly poor people and minorities. It's overwhelmingly the hapless and the helpless, people who are just being ground through the mill of of a dysfunctional system and don't have any way to break free.

edited for formatting

--------------------

Edited by Prisoner#1 (03/07/09 05:14 PM)

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#9922792 - 03/06/09 12:51 PM (15 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the majority of the reason for the disparities is racial profiling by redneck cops, who just happen to search alot more black peoples cars for drugs that whites.

I'd be all for that except for one things, modern cultural
stereo types, in the city of atlanta there are more black
officers than white, still more blacks are arrested for drugs,
I'm of the belief that music is a defining factor, take a loot
at whom many of these kids idolize, rappers that claim that
being gangsters and thugs is a righteous lifestyle, that dealing
drugs and drive by shootings are the way things should be
handled in the black community... hell, ask yourself, just how
many white gangs are there in america

While there may be more black cops than white cops in Atlanta where, like the rest of America, three times the amount of blacks are arrested for drug crimes than whites, people are ultimately prosecuted according to the federal guidelines created during the Reagan administration that include sentencing policies like the 100:1 ratio, where people caught with crack are penalized as if they were caught with 100 times the amount of powder cocaine.  Because of media sensationalism, the law for these sentencing guidelines was passed because of the legislators incorrect assumption that crack is 100 times more powerful than powder, and the results of this irresponsible measure have been devastating to the black community, where more of the cocaine arrests involve crack-cocaine.

Quote:

I hear lots of complaints about barack, in fact if you look at
my sig, you'll see I'm no big fan and do a bit of bitching about
him myself, you'll be happy to know I'd bitch about any
president regardless of color, I did about carter and I was just
a kid, I did about reagan and nothing had changed, same with
both the bushs, and clinton... but I suppose that me disagreeing
wth a political goal of the new president makes me a racist
simply because he's black and I'm not, it surely couldnt be
because he's adopted bad policies and gone back on the most
important campaign promises he's made

In no way have I suggested that you may be a racist for disagreeing with Barack Obama's policies.  Hell, I voted for him, but I don't agree with some of his policies.  I truly believe that you would not base your political views on race.  You are obviously quite knowledgable of the issues that are important to you.  My point is that there are alot of grumblings among whites that a black man in the white house will result in more handouts for blacks.  Surely, as an itelligent white man living in the South, you have heard white people, when out of audible range from black people, make racial generalizations like this that you find unfair.

edited for formatting

--------------------

Edited by Prisoner#1 (03/07/09 06:17 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#9929835 - 03/07/09 06:14 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
Quote:

single group that has been oppressed, blacks oppressed blacks...

It is outside of the point to bring up the genocide in Rwanda, for example, of blacks oppressing blacks.  I thought we were discussing America, where whites have consistently oppressed blacks and blacks have absolutely not oppressed whites.

I'm referring to the south, apparently you fail to realize there
were many blacks that owned slaves, many irish, indian and
chinese were slaves, some of those owned by black people, like I
said, brush up on that history because it may surprise you to
know that many of these slaves were treated quite well and didnt
want slavery to end, many fought along side the owners during
the civil war, I mean seriously, if I were being mistreated and
handed a gun, I believe the ones I'd shoot were my oppressors

whites are being oppressed and discriminated against every day
through legislation like affirmative action, many government
programs as well as private enterprise and non profit
organizations

Quote:

What legislation?  I didn't realize that blacks were collectively banding together as one, in an effort to create laws to keep the white man down.  If there was any need for white people to advance from oppression, then I am all for the NAAWP!  But in reality-land, Jim Crow Laws and public lynchings greatly outweigh the injustices of Black Entertainment Television and Black History Month.

should we go into gang violence, rape and murder? the current
laws regarding racial discrimination primarily favor the blacks,
in fact how many blacks are prosecuted for hate crimes, how much
legislation is being pushed to ban the words 'nigger' and
'nigga' but only when used by white people because when blacks
use it, it's a term of endearment... is there any legislation
being pushed to punish blacks for honky and cracka?

Quote:

Yes we are to believe that the judicial system is prejudiced.  This is not just my opinion.

mind backing that up with something other than a statement from
the prejudiced black leaders or simple statistics from the
prison system

Quote:

2008 saw the release of not one but three reports documenting in exhaustive detail how extremely skewed drug policing is in terms of the way it targets minorities.
(Actually, one of the reports was released in December 2007, but whatever.)

ask yourself a question, how many white drug dealers stand on
the side of the road trying to sell crack, coke or pot, I may
have seen 3 in my entire life while I've seen hundreds of blacks
in the projects doing that very thing, most whites I've known
that deal drugs do so from their home and in order to search
homes they need more than 'reasonable suspicion', selling on the
side of the road it takes nothing more than to see them approach
a car... so maybe in fact this study is biased because it doesnt
look at the circumstances under which the arrests were made

Quote:

The reports are Human Rights Watch: Targeting Blacks: Drug Law Enforcment and Race in the United States (May 2008)

yup... just as I suspected... nothing regarding the trials,
nothing about the means of conviction (bench trial, jury trial,
plea bargain, etc...) it's easy to make the claim that whitey is
out to screw the black man when you omit all the real evidence

Drug Offenses and Black Incarceration
Table 1: Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses as a Percentage of All Admissions, by Race and Gender, 2003 
Racial Composition of Drug Offender Admissions
Racial Disparities in Rates of Admission
Table 2: Number of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, by Race, 2003
Fig.2: Racial Composition of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, 2003
Table 3: Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, by Gender and Race, 2003
Fig.3: Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, by Race, 2003
Fig.4: Ratio of Black:White Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, 2003
Table 4: Ranking of States by Ratio of Black:White Prison Admission Rates for Drug Offenses, 2003 
Fig.5: Correlation of White and Black Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, 2003 
Race and Gender
Fig.6: Male Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, by Race, 2003
Fig.7: Female Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses, by Race, 2003
Table 5: Ratio of Black:White Rates of Prison Admissions for Drug Offenses by Gender, 2003

Quote:

These three reports all document one basic reality, which is that all people use drugs, no matter whether they are rich or poor, no matter what color their skin might be, and no matter what part of town they live in. Drug policing, drug arrests and drug prosecutions, however, focus overwhelmingly on street-level interdiction in poor, minority neighborhoods, where it takes the least work for cops to make busts.

how many people obtain their drugs from that road side dealer in
the million dollar neighborhoods, I'm sure if Country Club of
the South or St. Ives had 3 dozen dealers on the streets
soliciting every car that drove by most of the arrests would be
made there, fact of the matter is, these people make their own
problem and then try to convince us that they're innocent, that
the man set them up, that it's racial profiling, that they are
victims of society or what ever garbage they spew

Quote:

The result is nothing more and nothing less than what can be seen any day of the week by walking into any state's Superior Court and checking out who is on trial: it's overwhelmingly poor people and minorities.

couldnt possibly be that the poor commit more crimes than the
wealthy or the middle class, couldnt possible be that the guy
delivering drugs was a dumbass because he was thumpin his system
at 3am while smoking a blunt or that 'shifty' had 8 dubs and a
cookie in his pocket and decided to get in someones grill and
start flashing his gat

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#9929868 - 03/07/09 06:22 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

In no way have I suggested that you may be a racist for disagreeing with Barack Obama's policies.  Surely, as an itelligent white man living in the South, you have heard white people, when out of audible range from black people, make racial generalizations like this that you find unfair.

as an intelligent injun living in New Echota I have heard both
black and white talking about black people, in fact I see it
from the older blacks more than I do whites, much like you're
doing here in claiming that whites tend to be more racist,
you're doing a bit of racial profiling, by claiming that whites
are out to get the black man, you're profiling based on race,
this from my experience, is in fact racism

a black man said to me one day about a year ago "obama had my
vote until last night when he did that fist bump with his wife
in front of america" that same man pointed out to me that obama
is a racist, he then proved it

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9929998 - 03/07/09 06:56 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Offlinemarshalldylan1
Stranger

#9930166 - 03/07/09 07:25 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

I stayed in a hotel in Collinsville, Alabama after Bonnaroo. It was in the middle of nowhere. I went to the only gas station that was in that town, and asked if there was a movie theatre around, and they laughed at me.

My friend also for some reason ate a half sheet of acid while in the hotel. We went to pizza hut and left him there. We came back to find that he was gone. The freeway was right next to the hotel and we freaked out.

Then he came walking around the corner, saying he locked himself out, and that people were out to get him.

But yeah, in my opinion, Alabama sucks.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: marshalldylan1]
    #9930209 - 03/07/09 07:30 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

marshalldylan1 said:
I stayed in a hotel in Collinsville, Alabama after Bonnaroo. It was in the middle of nowhere. I went to the only gas station that was in that town, and asked if there was a movie theatre around, and they laughed at me.

there's a drive in movie between leesburg and centre, not too far from collinsville

OfflineKP123
strange
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #9930220 - 03/07/09 07:32 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

alabama?

--------------------
'I    am    like an      infant    which    has not  yet smiled'

Offlinemarshalldylan1
Stranger

#9930629 - 03/07/09 08:39 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

marshalldylan1 said:

there's a drive in movie between leesburg and centre, not too far from collinsville

That fat bitch lied to me!

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9930638 - 03/07/09 08:41 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

It is this way in Forrest Gump, Crazy in Alabama, Sweet Home Alabama, My Cousin Vinny, etc.

It is probably true about the rural areas, but Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Tuscaloosa, and Auburn are actually really cool towns.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has been to Alabama and thinks it is more hicks per capita than other states.

If you want to see California rednecks, watch The Grapes of Wrath, for starters.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: marshalldylan1]
    #9930679 - 03/07/09 08:50 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

marshalldylan1 said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

marshalldylan1 said:

That fat bitch lied to me!

it's true though, I pass it pretty regularly, only about 12
miles from collinsville, a short hop down 59 would have had you
at rainbow city and gadsden, a few movie houses out that way

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Ferris]
    #9930770 - 03/07/09 09:05 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Ferris said:

If you want to see California rednecks, watch The Grapes of Wrath, for starters.

or take a visit to Oroville, CA.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Rebirtha]
    #9930814 - 03/07/09 09:12 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Evan said:
Quote:

Ferris said:

or take a visit to Oroville, CA.

yankee rednecks in watertown or binghampton ny

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
    #9930901 - 03/07/09 09:29 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

I live in north idaho, within 10 miles of the former aryan nations headquarters...
needless to say there are countless rednecks.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisiblePhish_Dude
steppin' into yesterday
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: secret tweeker pad Flag
    #9930983 - 03/07/09 09:41 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Man its not just like that down south, northern MI is redneck as fuck but it has its own special flare to it at the same time.

--------------------

OfflineFunGuyFan
Stranger

Loc: Hack Hack Cough Cough
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #9931285 - 03/07/09 10:44 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

I live in the south and the city currently reside in I have observed more racism from the blacks than the whites. Given I do believe it goes both ways I just think the blacks are more angry and vocal about their opinions than the mighty whiteys in my city. Of course it would be in poor taste for the rich whiteys to voice their feelings about the other side. I get really sick of people trying to be PC when we are all guilty of preconceived notions about others. I find joy in the fact that we are all different and can laugh at  our versatility. It brings me joy to read www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com and realize just how white I am.

--------------------

"Don't touch me while your laughing maniacally"

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: FunGuyFan]
    #9932269 - 03/08/09 05:18 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

To the OP:

Dont forget about the movie EASY RIDER. I've had some bad run-ins with scary overall wearin, Primus - My Name Is Mudd, hicks, and Easy Rider pretty much scares the shit out of me.

I was on a canoe trip down in Southern Illinois during college and tripping on acid with some friends at night. We were too close to this scary little dead end shack area and bumped into some hicks having a fire at the corner of their field...they really wanted to beat the shit out of us (like 10 of them, 3 of us). It took one of the younger hicks and his wife to talk em down and basically let us go.

Fucked Up Experience man.

Have you ever noticed how many more curches there are in hick towns? Church per capita is rediculous.

--------------------

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Loc: australia
    #9932289 - 03/08/09 05:36 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

when i hear of alabama i think of 'banjos playing through the broken glass'
from the neil young song

Invisiblexdzt

#9932330 - 03/08/09 06:06 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

I've been to Alabama -- it's a lot worse than portrayed in films. It's full of miserable people leading shitty lives. Man, every time I visit the South, I get bummed out.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: xdzt]
    #9932347 - 03/08/09 06:28 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

:strokebeard:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9932375 - 03/08/09 06:48 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

:lol:
i was hoping it was the neil young song

youtube only has covers of it

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: filthee]
    #9932380 - 03/08/09 06:53 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

I'm way to classy for that :monopoly:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9932384 - 03/08/09 06:55 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

i just scraped my stem and its drying on the stove:lol:

i am smoking homegrown stovetop dried buds while i wait for the goodness tho

:bonghit:

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: filthee]
    #9932412 - 03/08/09 07:15 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

:snub:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

#9932452 - 03/08/09 07:41 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

am i on the wrong side of the tracks here or you?

:lol:

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #9932464 - 03/08/09 07:49 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

Not I :crazy2:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
    #9932595 - 03/08/09 09:02 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

OBAMALOL

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
    #9932768 - 03/08/09 10:07 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

There are white people in Alabama?  :shocked2:

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
    #9932783 - 03/08/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

...as an intelligent injun living in New Echota ...

Wow, that's only about 150 miles from where I live. We should hang out some time.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Do folks really think Alabama is how itis portrayed in movies? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #9932904 - 03/08/09 10:54 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

...as an intelligent injun living in New Echota ...

Wow, that's only about 150 miles from where I live. We should hang out some time.

I'm down... unoless you live in turtle town, then I'll just throw stuff at you

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck