Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinemathewww
Lurker.
Male

Loc: Seattle, Cascadia.
Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana.
    #9919584 - 03/05/09 08:36 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

This has got to be the funniest article I've read on marijuana prevention.

http://www2.morganton.com/content/2009/mar/05/why-christians-should-oppose-use-marijuana/lifestyles/

By Mike Thompson | Truth or Consequences - The News Herald
Published: March 5, 2009

Two recent stories in the news have triggered in me a desire to warn parents of the seriousness of marijuana use.
The first was the news that Michael Phelps was caught using a bong. Without question, Phelps became a national hero as he won gold medal after gold medal this past year in the summer Olympics.
Both adults and kids admired and respected his achievements. So, I was terribly disappointed to hear that he had engaged in such activities, but what bothered me even more was the relative lack of outrage concerning his behavior. Kellogg Co. stopped using Phelps in its advertising campaign, but Subway stuck to its man. This is sad.
I believe that our nation is moving dangerously close to the normalization of marijuana.
The second story supports my gut feeling. President Obama is very close to appointing Gil Kerlikowske as the new drug czar for the federal government. Kerlikowske is currently the chief of police in Seattle, Wash. In 2004, Seattle enacted a law placing marijuana use as the lowest priority of all possible legal violations.
Pot smoking became less of an issue than "jay walking." In addition, Seattle is known for its annual "Hempfest." During the "festivities," the police provide oversight, but are instructed to make no arrests for the use of marijuana.
Throughout my life I have consistently opposed marijuana. Although I have never personally smoked pot, various people whom I know and love most certainly have. I have witnessed its effects firsthand.
I have engaged in many a discussion with those who consider marijuana use not such a big deal. I have also talked with many parents about how to oppose marijuana. This brings me to my concern. Most parents fall back on one of two arguments.
First, they use a rationale that there are detrimental physical effects to smoking pot. I believe this has some reasonableness to it, but it is hard to argue this case when an increasing number of doctors consider marijuana's negative side effects to be less than other legal drugs of choice.
As a Christian, my opposition to marijuana must not be dependent upon the most recent medical opinion.
The second reason parents give to their children against marijuana use is that it is illegal. I am convinced we will not be able to use this argument much longer. Unfortunately, we are moving toward a day where marijuana will likely become legal. What will be our response to our kids when it does?
I oppose marijuana. I oppose its use, period. I do believe it has many negative physical effects, but I believe its spiritual effects are far more destructive.
My following comments as to the destructive effects of marijuana are not taken from studies. They come from my personal observations. I hope they will help parents educating their children about the evils of marijuana use.
First, any use of marijuana produces a high. Marijuana is not like alcohol in this sense. I am absolutely opposed to drunkenness. But I encourage parents to not fall into the trap of making a comparison where limited use of marijuana seems acceptable. Any amount of marijuana produces a high and is therefore wrong.
Second, marijuana reduces a person's moral resolve. This effect occurs when a person is actually high. But it also occurs at other times when a person uses marijuana regularly.
As a Christian worker on college campuses and as a pastor, I have counseled many people dealing with other moral struggles from which they desire freedom.
Pot smokers often will be amazingly open and honest with me regarding their struggles. Initially, I was impressed with this vulnerability. But I was soon to discover that there was little actual improvement. I was trying to deal with some other moral issue, without first dealing with the use of marijuana. It didn't work.
Their moral resolve was inhibited. They could often see wrong in their life. They could recognize that it was evil, but they did not have sufficient remorse or the resulting inner resolve to actually overcome the evil.
On the other hand, if a person with whom I was helping to deal with some other moral evil was also willing to stop their use of marijuana, they repeatedly had greater resolve to deal with the initial moral evil.
Third, marijuana becomes an idol, replacing God in a person's life. This is the reason why godliness and marijuana use are incompatible. Some have tried to reason with me that this is only due to the false stigma against marijuana.
If we could remove the stigma, they say, then people could love God and love marijuana as well. I am not convinced, nor should you be. Marijuana use fits well with certain religions that worship the earth. Several pagan religions use marijuana to enhance their "spiritual experience." But this cannot be the case with Christianity.
The Christian life is not a denial of all pleasure, a point that those who use marijuana are quick to point out. But it does include spiritual discipline, clarity of thought and personal moral and spiritual resolve.
The Christian disciplines his body and keeps it under control (I Corinthians 9:27), so that he is able to set his mind on things above (Colossians 3:2). Marijuana use replaces godly zeal with the hedonistic love of pleasure.
And so, while Michael Phelps may be able to win a gold medal and smoke pot, and while our current president does not fully grasp the detrimental effects of marijuana use, you as a parent should continue to teach its evils.
I warn you to not slip in your resolve to oppose it. No, I beg you, for the sake of your kids, be strong in your opposition to marijuana.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: mathewww]
    #9919673 - 03/05/09 08:50 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

As one of the few resident Christians, I will say that there are a few good points, and a few short sided points in there.

I don't think his perspective should be mocked, but he misses the point of legalization completely. Not to mention the true benefits of MJ.

As as Christian, I am dumbfounded by the lack of love and respect for God's creation from many in the church.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

Loc: This Cannot Be Happening Flag
    #9919708 - 03/05/09 08:56 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Doesn't Christianity believe that God created Heaven and Earth and He created all creatures, plants, ...things (for the lack of a better word) to be used by man.  Because, well, man was created by God in God's image.

This article cites no real evidence (obvious to most shroomerites) It only cites the bible (greatest fairy tale aver told)

"The Christian life is not a denial of all pleasure, a point that those who use marijuana are quick to point out. But it does include spiritual discipline, clarity of thought and personal moral and spiritual resolve."
Can't one obtain both spiritual discipline and some sense of "moral resolve" while still smoking marajuana?? -- I know I can

I mean doesn't the philosopher Locke claim that the only thing that actually exists is GOD and everything we perceive (*edit* including ourselves) are just attributes of God?  Therefore Marajuana is an attribute (some 'revealing'/'enlightenment'/'part') of God --  which is expressed to us.

Flame me if I am wrong / or a drunken idiot (which I am right now)

Edited by bait_ (03/05/09 09:05 PM)

Offlinemarshalldylan1
Stranger

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: whattheheck]
    #9919721 - 03/05/09 08:58 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

She said so many fucked up statements I'm not going to even bother.

All I can say is, what a dumb bitch.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: bait_]
    #9919762 - 03/05/09 09:04 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

It's your opinion that the bible is the greatest fairy tale ever told, on the other hand, I too have severe issues (according to what I am SUPPOSED to believe) with some of it's reliability.

And looking at your signature I have to say this. The belief that we are God's children, and share a certain makeup with Him, does not make us weak. It's when we believe that God is "out there" that we give away any sense of our power, or freedom.

What cha drinking? I'm having a nice hefeweizen  or 5 myself :cheers:

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Offlineupinthetrees
.Ease through your Mind.
Male

Loc: P/N/W
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: marshalldylan1]
    #9919776 - 03/05/09 09:06 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

marshalldylan1 said:
She said so many fucked up statements I'm not going to even bother.

All I can say is, what a dumb bitch.

--------------------

I want to show you life for what it's worth, from beginning to end from when your life was first launched 'till when it descends back to earth. From pyramiding at it's peak 'till when it turns back into dirt..

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: marshalldylan1]
    #9919807 - 03/05/09 09:11 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Ehh, truth or consequences might as well be a part of mexico.  This is just for all the fanatics out there.  fuck em.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

#9919879 - 03/05/09 09:24 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Right now I am drinking Sierra Nevada IPA and Leinenkugel 1888 Bock.

Don't take my sig the wrong way.  I went through 1-12 grade in Roman Catholic schools and I believe I received one of the best educations, both religiously and academically, I could have.  However, after leaving (and after being turned onto psychedelics) I have decided not to waste my time on which religion is 'right'. 

The signature pretty much translates into (for me) 'the only thing I can TRULY put faith in is myself' -- Don't waste your time on Jesus, Jehovah, Mohammad, Buddha, etc...  -- Just lead a morally good life and you will get into heaven/reincarnated into something 'pure'/have 72 virgins waiting for you... whichever you chose it to be basically.

Also after taking psychedelics I TRULY believe that something created us, the world, MARIJUANA.

Edited by bait_ (03/05/09 09:25 PM)

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
    #9919925 - 03/05/09 09:33 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

mathewww said:

Throughout my life I have consistently opposed marijuana.

Ok. This is the starting point of Mike's argument. His logic is an amusing study piece, allowing us to come up with our own explanation for why he's dedicated his life to the cause.

Quote:

mathewww said:
Although I have never personally smoked pot...

Good start.....

Quote:

mathewww said:

...but it is hard to argue this case when an increasing number of doctors consider marijuana's negative side effects to be less than other legal drugs of choice.

I must say, I give Mike credit for including this. It show's he actually understands 'part' of the real world, and made his essay a little more bearable. 

Quote:

mathewww said:
...my opposition to marijuana must not be dependent upon the most recent medical opinion.

Um.. of course not... that would be silly.

Quote:

mathewww said:
I oppose marijuana. I oppose its use, period.

Ahh, this is the meat of the argument right here.
But, he really surprise slaps you in the face when he discloses this virtually indisputable fact:

Quote:

mathewww said:
Any amount of marijuana produces a high and is therefore wrong.

Wow. Betcha' can't argue with that?

He concludes with some solid "God will hate you, Save Teh Children" zingers and choice quotes from the only credible reference book in existence: the Bible.

Thank you, Mike, for this powerful piece on the evils of Marihuanha.

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
    #9919934 - 03/05/09 09:36 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

I was gonna write something...but
no....im not doing this....just no

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #9919949 - 03/05/09 09:40 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

My following comments as to the destructive effects of marijuana are not taken from studies. They come from my personal observations.

Then... um...

:whocares:

In all seriousness. Anyone can write anything about anything, and use this sentence. :shrug:

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #9919976 - 03/05/09 09:46 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

wow.  You sir have made the best argument all night.

Occam's Razor at its finest

Offlinewalzmanm
Living, not merely existing
Male User Gallery

#9920031 - 03/05/09 09:57 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Separation of church and state anyone?

--------------------

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: walzmanm]
    #9920041 - 03/05/09 09:59 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Every piece of United State's currency has 'In God We Trust'

Do you really think it exists now?

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#9920047 - 03/05/09 10:00 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

bait_ said:
Every piece of United State's currency has 'In God We Trust'

Do you really think it exists now?

Added in 1957 during the "red scare".

Communism = Atheist therefore Atheist = Bad!

:rolleyes:

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

#9920094 - 03/05/09 10:10 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Ahh but the motto first appeared on a coin in 1864 (true it was the civil war...) and also the term God (as in the God most Americans know. But not necesarily the true God) appeared on the declaration of indepencence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

Has never really been true separation.

Edited by bait_ (03/05/09 10:11 PM)

Offlinewalzmanm
Male User Gallery

#9920101 - 03/05/09 10:11 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

We've had separation of church and state, and I'm fairly certain that in the next 50 years, religion and politics will no longer mix. Some of our greatest presidents weren't at all religious: see Jefferson and Lincoln.

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#9920127 - 03/05/09 10:16 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

The motto should be "From many, one" and all the political hocus pocus in the world will not convince me otherwise.

Same bullshit politics, different bullshit plan.

God fearing morons raped America in 1956, just as their priests raped her sons. It's gone on for long enough. :shrug:

Invisiblebait_
AllSpice
I'm a teapot

#9920135 - 03/05/09 10:18 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Presidents don't run the country... The congress does.

http://friendlyatheist.com/2008/12/20/the-religious-makeup-of-the-111th-congress/ ; <--don't know

*edit*

That'll be the day when unaffiliated becomes the majority because that is when we will have true separation of church and state.

Offlinewalzmanm
Male User Gallery

#9920152 - 03/05/09 10:20 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

We're on our way. There has been a widespread drop in the number of Christians in our country and more and more people are falling under the "no religion" category. Political representation will slowly follow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Stark

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#9920186 - 03/05/09 10:24 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

walzmanm said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Stark

"In another debate, he called Congresswoman Nancy Johnson of Connecticut a "whore for the insurance industry" and suggested that her knowledge of health care came solely from "pillow talk" with her husband, a physician."

:lol:

That's probably true.

Offlinewalzmanm
Male User Gallery

#9920207 - 03/05/09 10:29 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

I didn't say he was a good example, just an example... :lol:

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#9920216 - 03/05/09 10:30 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

I'd vote for him. :shrug:

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

#9920249 - 03/05/09 10:35 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

bait_ said:
Doesn't Christianity believe that God created Heaven and Earth and He created all creatures, plants, ...things (for the lack of a better word) to be used by man.  Because, well, man was created by God in God's image.

The argument I've heard against this is that God created the earth and everything on it perfectly and then when humans sinned by eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (why any logical God would build a creation with a "FAIL" button installed is beyond me, but that's a whole different story), everything on earth was corrupted, and thus plants put out poisons, and things that will intoxicate and tempt us further. 

I don't really see how that would be possible, because that implies that a good chunk of the intelligent processes of nature are not actually natural, but rather a distortion of itself.  Marijuana producing THC and mushrooms producing psilocybin seems like quite a completely natural process that exists for a specific purpose based on  that organisms life cycle and environment.  It just seems like we're completely taking the messages that are being sent to us through creation and ignoring them based on our personal biases which have come about as a result of hundreds of years of fanatical ideology, rather than logical inquiry.

Offlinepsilyguy
 User Gallery

#9920306 - 03/05/09 10:46 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

whattheheck said:
I don't think his perspective should be mocked, but he misses the point of legalization completely. Not to mention the true benefits of MJ.

As as Christian, I am dumbfounded by the lack of love and respect for God's creation from many in the church.

:thumbup: for what you say

but still...

:smilingpuppy: at the article

Offlineheartofalion
dancing with the cosmos
 User Gallery

#9920352 - 03/05/09 10:53 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

whattheheck said:
As one of the few resident Christians, I will say that there are a few good points, and a few short sided points in there.

What good points does he make?

the bible never critisizes being high and cannabis plants were used to make the anointing oil all that they use to anoint the isrealites with. This is a just a biases bastard with unfounded assumptions based it blind semantics.

And that crap about the getting passed the "evil" in thier life. I bet the stoner doesnt stress as much and let the shit bother him as much, in fact i would put money on it.

oh whattheheck im not attacking you...just the article

--------------------

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #9920702 - 03/05/09 11:57 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

j0nnyb0y05 said:
I was gonna write something...but
no....im not doing this....just no

ditto

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

OfflineSunshineDaydream
Journeyman
Male User Gallery

Loc: OK Flag
    #9920737 - 03/06/09 12:06 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

i used to be a christian long, long ago. 

i have since become a spiritualist.

OfflineSmokealotapot
Smoking lots of pot

Loc: Dreamworld
    #9920982 - 03/06/09 01:03 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Damn what a boring person he must be. Will someone give this guy a joint? I'm exhausted with these people who portray MJ to be the devil plant. I mean, if doctors prescribe the damn thing, then how can people be so ignorant to the beneficial value that marijuana has?  :shake:

OfflineTheRage
Pinning Mycologist
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #9921008 - 03/06/09 01:15 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

bait_ said:

I mean doesn't the philosopher Locke claim that the only thing that actually exists is GOD and everything we perceive (*edit* including ourselves) are just attributes of God?

Just thought I would point out for those interested it was actually George Berkeley who believed that all that truly exists is god, and Locke disagreed with him (Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous.) Berkeley=Philonous Locke=Hylas.

:ilold: at the article. He is coming into his thought process pre-supposing that marijuana is bad. "I believe marijuana is bad. Marijuana causes a state of altered consciousness and diminishes one's moral resolve (and lets not state the "normal" moral resolve or how it is actually lessened.) Therefore Marijuana is bad."
I don't buy the argument, but it was a good effort.

--------------------
There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.
Aldous Huxley

Offlineboletusoftruth
Psychedelic Funk
Male

Loc: MASS
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: TheRage]
    #9924216 - 03/06/09 05:11 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

The Christian disciplines his body and keeps it under control (I Corinthians 9:27), so that he is able to set his mind on things above (Colossians 3:2). Marijuana use replaces godly zeal with the hedonistic love of pleasure.

Didn't the bible also say...

Quote:

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree, which bears fruit yielding seed. It will be your food.

:2cents:

--------------------

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunny Afternoon in
    #9924243 - 03/06/09 05:17 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

Stupid Christian Bitch said:

As a Christian, my opposition to marijuana must not be dependent upon the most recent medical opinion.

That just made me laugh :lol:

--------------------

Song of the week, click Huey:

Song of the week list in journal.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: Tedwilto]
    #9924272 - 03/06/09 05:22 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

No need to call this person names people. I'm sure all of us are, or have been at one time (for those who are now perfect) uneducated or just plain stupid about something. It doesn't do the cause any good when people act like 13 year olds on the playground.

These people know not of what they speak. To go along with it, the stoner lifestyle, especially to those who live squeaky clean lives, is really quite repulsive. Not everyone who smokes weed represents the cause as well as others.

With all the problems we as a nation and a people are facing, Christians wanting people to not get high seems rather trivial to me.

--------------------

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Loc: Flag
    #9924320 - 03/06/09 05:33 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

EDIT: never mind I was beat to it

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

Edited by UnholyChild666 (03/06/09 05:33 PM)

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: boletusoftruth]
    #9924325 - 03/06/09 05:34 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

boletusoftruth said:

Quote:

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree, which bears fruit yielding seed. It will be your food.

:2cents:

yep Genesis 1:29

--------------------

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#9924364 - 03/06/09 05:39 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Thats all well and good that the author of this article opposes marijuana use; (s)he shouldn't smoke pot then.

But nothing, including his (her) God gives him the right to force his opinions on other people.

If they disagree with drug use, they shouldn't use drugs.
End of story.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9924374 - 03/06/09 05:40 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

mathewww said:

http://www2.morganton.com/content/2009/mar/05/why-christians-should-oppose-use-marijuana/lifestyles/

Shit like that makes me soooooooo glad I'm a jew.

I can't wait for purim! :bonghit:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9924395 - 03/06/09 05:43 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Slightly off topic but...

"When the most rewarding and exhilarating interest becomes a fad, it's evocative qualities enjoyed by the few are diminished by mass acceptance" -Anton Lavey
:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
    #9924420 - 03/06/09 05:46 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

whattheheck said:

"When the most rewarding and exhilarating interest becomes a fad, it's evocative qualities enjoyed by the few are diminished by mass acceptance" -Anton Lavey

never heard it

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #9924444 - 03/06/09 05:49 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

I'd love to a Rastarian rebuttal to this article, complete with Bible quotes, such as:

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so." - Gen. 1:11

"Thou shalt eat the herb of the field." - Gen 3:18

"He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man." - Psalm 104:14

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: UnholyChild666]
    #9924470 - 03/06/09 05:53 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

UnholyChild666 said:
Quote:

whattheheck said:

never heard it

:confused:

Isn't that your signature?

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #9924480 - 03/06/09 05:54 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

sarcasm is tough huh:smirk:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
    #9924496 - 03/06/09 05:55 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
sarcasm is tough huh:smirk:

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#9924500 - 03/06/09 05:55 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Yeah, I was wondering what was up :lol:

--------------------

OfflineSbstratAlchemist
Enthusiast

#9925065 - 03/06/09 07:35 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Not all Christians are against marijuana, but those that are would love to make that the case.

I've had a priest tell me that as long as it doesn't interfere with your life, smoking is not sinful.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: SbstratAlchemist]
    #9925093 - 03/06/09 07:39 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Meanwhile a 9 year old girl who got raped by her stepfather is getting excommunicated for having the twins aborted.

As long as we're all on the same page.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why Christians should use Marijuana. [Re: whattheheck]
    #9925141 - 03/06/09 07:47 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

More importantly why should christians use marijuana?

Because it fuckin rocks, and enhances your overall enjoyment of life.!!!!:omgawesome: Jesus luvvvvvved ganja!

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineFuzedBox
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: FL
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: Silversoul]
    #9925189 - 03/06/09 07:54 PM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Those silly christians.

--------------------
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong”  -Voltaire

Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

#9926787 - 03/07/09 02:07 AM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Id love to smack the shit outta that dumbass. She is a great example of someone who really makes Christians look like idiots and hypocrites.

Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: erikm]
    #9926795 - 03/07/09 02:10 AM (15 years, 25 days ago)

Fuzedbox I had to use your signature. Its great, just PM me i guess if you dont want me using it

Offline4ohdmt
between reality and nonsense
 User Gallery
    #9926831 - 03/07/09 02:32 AM (15 years, 25 days ago)

I smoke cannabis and I really think it helps me. I used to be incredibly depressed and it was not good for me as a Christian and the antidepressants I got were far worse than whatever bad things THC could possibly do. I feel a lot kinder to others when I'm not hating myself.

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: 4ohdmt]
    #9927198 - 03/07/09 07:08 AM (15 years, 24 days ago)

That's another point.  Christians don't oppose the use of medication to treat illnesses, but anything that has been deemed "dangerous" by the state, regardless of what the medical research of the substance has found, they reject. (Ironically, in his time, Jesus was deemed dangerous by his state, and yet christians believe everything he said.)

Invisiblekergan
Male User Gallery

#9927698 - 03/07/09 11:11 AM (15 years, 24 days ago)

Edited by kergan (03/07/09 11:17 AM)

OfflineStrwbrryFldsFrvr
Stranger
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: Silversoul]
    #9948150 - 03/10/09 08:17 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Reasons I feel that Christians should NOT oppose MJ use:

I consider myself a believer in God as the bible lays is out. however, I am NOT of those crazy types that we see so much.  My parents are pretty fundamental about it, so I had to deal with it growing up.  What I found is that most people who call themselves christians are, in fact, not even close.  Most do not follow their own teachings.  In many cases, this is because they refuse to give up their holyer-than-thou attitudes and realize what it actually means to be a christian.  (i.e. - the Duggar family, I think you'll see what I mean if you look them up)

Which brings me too my first point.  THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND GOD, first and foremost.

Secondly, God directly gave everything on this earth to us.  The ONLY thing off-limits was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  Its entire purpose was to give us, as human beings, the free will to follow the Lord.

Now, a major argument against my last point is that we must treat our bodies as "temples."  However, what does this mean?  I take this as we are not to knowingly do things that will harm our bodies (in a nutshell)  So, IMO, the "bad" part of MJ use is the smoking aspect of it.  However, I have come to terms with this and justified it (which goes back to my first point).

To my main point:  MJ, I feel, can bring us closer to God.  This does not mean that MJ use is limited to those who are religious or for religious purposes.  This is coming from the religious side of the equation.

From the perspective of the person who is not religious I go back to my first point.  It is a personal choice to follow God, b/t you and Him, so if you choose not to follow Him, it is up to you.  The rules are the same though.

For the time being, make these assumptions even if you dont believe this:

God does exist and we are here because of Him as the Bible describes

This means that, my 2nd point is true.  Therefore, this earth and everything on it was still given to us as human beings, even to those who don't believe, so..... MJ usage is STILL ok.

So, how can MJ be bad.  It really can't. 

So, in conclusion, for those of you against MJ use.  that is your choice for yourself.  Another person's choices, on MJ or even in general, are between them and God.  Not you or anyone else, just the person making the choice and God. 

So, when I am attacked for my beliefs, I typically respond that since God  is, well, God, I answer to Him and noone else, and what I do is between me and Him.

Hopefully I put to words what I was feeling correctly.  After reading many of these posts it seems to me that most of you will agree with what I have said (or at least what I meant it to say if I was clear enough)  Please ask me if you have questions about what I actually meant and I will try to explain better.  I will try and sum this up though briefly.

The main thing I feel that should be taken out of this is:  Your relationship with God, whether you believe in Him or not, is between you and Him and noone else.  This means, it is noone else's business to tell you how you should conduct yourself other than God.  And from what I have found in the Bible, MJ is ours to do with as we please.

Sry for the length, I just thought this would be a God place to put this to type.

I will leave you with this.  I love the Lord, I also love what the Lord has given to me in the form of the Cannabis plant.  It has made my life more fulfilling and me a better person.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope I made sense...  Please let me know what you think... I hope this helped...

Edited by StrwbrryFldsFrvr (03/10/09 08:20 PM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#9948622 - 03/10/09 09:44 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

I just sent this to the author of the OP's article

"This is a comment in response to your comment @ morganton.com

You are an idiot.

Plain and simple

The bible plainly states the all seed bearing plants were put here for our use

Cannabis is one of the most useful plants known to man
People like you are the ones that are keeping this plant from being used to its fullest potential

read this

http://drugpolicycentral.com/bot/pg/cancer/THC_cancer_nov_2003.htm

and watch this

http://www.phoenixtearsmovie.com/

I'm not saying that marijuana should be given to our children
just like i don't think tobacco or alcohol should be given to our children

But to claim that marijuana has no benefits is born from ignorance.

Granted you have been fed this ignorance all your life and never questioned it.
I have some good advice for you....never trust the government.

NEVER

Do a little research of your own and you will find that our government is actually making money off of marijuana's illegality. Imprisoning people for harming no one and stripping our God given right to choose.

More money could be make from legalizing it and taxing it.
Less money would be spent on fighting a loosing battle
Less money would be spent on imprisoning innocent people.

Marijuana could easily bring this country back from the brink of economic failure.
There are literally thousands of products that can be made from the hemp plant
Things from paper to fuel to medicine.

Why would you condemn such a valuable plant?

Marijuana is far from the demon you make it out to be.

Educate yourself and get back to me."

I'm looking forward to hearing from this twat.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlinethirdtragedy
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
    #9948633 - 03/10/09 09:49 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

hmmm just reading the first couple of lines of that article got my blood boiling... time to smoke! :potleaf:

--------------------

Offlinethirdtragedy
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: planet earth
    #9948710 - 03/10/09 10:00 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Throughout my life I have consistently opposed marijuana. Although I have never personally smoked pot

don't knock something you personally haven't tried.

Quote:

I believe its spiritual effects are far more destructive.

typical point of view of someone who doesn't think any thing can be spiritual if it is not the same spirituality as them.

Quote:

Third, marijuana becomes an idol, replacing God in a person's life.

my "god" = :potleaf::hellfire:

this article is just too much for me. :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineNightTripper
Fly Agaric
Male User Gallery

#12130908 - 03/02/10 09:25 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

really man? really? i think that the idea of god is beyond our comprehension as humans and i think that pot allow us to escape the mind set thats forced on many (such as me; forced catholic since birth) that god is exactly as he is potrayed in the bible.
come on man  :facepalm3: 
i mean no offense in this post its just my opinion

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: NightTripper]
    #12130948 - 03/02/10 09:30 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

really dude...really?................ELEVEN MONTHS? im jk! i love opening new threads randomly  D : D

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Offlinebardleyrichard
My Keyboard Got Damaged
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Why Christians should oppose the use of Marijuana. [Re: NightTripper]
    #12131014 - 03/02/10 09:39 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

gj arguing with a year old thread
:congrats:

Edit: beat me to it

--------------------
I find myself yearning for clouds returning, all that the rain promises, and more...

Edited by bardleyrichard (03/02/10 09:40 PM)

OfflineSupreme Slammage
Time Traveler
Male

#12131180 - 03/02/10 10:01 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

mathewww said:

By Mike Thompson | Truth or Consequences - The News Herald
Published: March 5, 2009

Two recent stories in the news have triggered in me a desire to warn parents of the seriousness of marijuana use.
The first was the news that Michael Phelps was caught using a bong. Without question, Phelps became a national hero as he won gold medal after gold medal this past year in the summer Olympics.
Both adults and kids admired and respected his achievements. So, I was terribly disappointed to hear that he had engaged in such activities, but what bothered me even more was the relative lack of outrage concerning his behavior. Kellogg Co. stopped using Phelps in its advertising campaign, but Subway stuck to its man. This is sad.
I believe that our nation is moving dangerously close to the normalization of marijuana.
The second story supports my gut feeling. President Obama is very close to appointing Gil Kerlikowske as the new drug czar for the federal government. Kerlikowske is currently the chief of police in Seattle, Wash. In 2004, Seattle enacted a law placing marijuana use as the lowest priority of all possible legal violations.
Pot smoking became less of an issue than "jay walking." In addition, Seattle is known for its annual "Hempfest." During the "festivities," the police provide oversight, but are instructed to make no arrests for the use of marijuana.
Throughout my life I have consistently opposed marijuana. Although I have never personally smoked pot, various people whom I know and love most certainly have. I have witnessed its effects firsthand.
I have engaged in many a discussion with those who consider marijuana use not such a big deal. I have also talked with many parents about how to oppose marijuana. This brings me to my concern. Most parents fall back on one of two arguments.
First, they use a rationale that there are detrimental physical effects to smoking pot. I believe this has some reasonableness to it, but it is hard to argue this case when an increasing number of doctors consider marijuana's negative side effects to be less than other legal drugs of choice.
The second reason parents give to their children against marijuana use is that it is illegal. I am convinced we will not be able to use this argument much longer. Unfortunately, we are moving toward a day where marijuana will likely become legal. What will be our response to our kids when it does?
I oppose marijuana. I oppose its use, period. I do believe it has many negative physical effects, but I believe its spiritual effects are far more destructive.
My following comments as to the destructive effects of marijuana are not taken from studies. They come from my personal observations. I hope they will help parents educating their children about the evils of marijuana use.
First, any use of marijuana produces a high. Marijuana is not like alcohol in this sense. I am absolutely opposed to drunkenness. But I encourage parents to not fall into the trap of making a comparison where limited use of marijuana seems acceptable. Any amount of marijuana produces a high and is therefore wrong.
Second, marijuana reduces a person's moral resolve. This effect occurs when a person is actually high. But it also occurs at other times when a person uses marijuana regularly.
As a Christian worker on college campuses and as a pastor, I have counseled many people dealing with other moral struggles from which they desire freedom.
Pot smokers often will be amazingly open and honest with me regarding their struggles. Initially, I was impressed with this vulnerability. But I was soon to discover that there was little actual improvement. I was trying to deal with some other moral issue, without first dealing with the use of marijuana. It didn't work.
Their moral resolve was inhibited. They could often see wrong in their life. They could recognize that it was evil, but they did not have sufficient remorse or the resulting inner resolve to actually overcome the evil.
On the other hand, if a person with whom I was helping to deal with some other moral evil was also willing to stop their use of marijuana, they repeatedly had greater resolve to deal with the initial moral evil.
Third, marijuana becomes an idol, replacing God in a person's life. This is the reason why godliness and marijuana use are incompatible. Some have tried to reason with me that this is only due to the false stigma against marijuana.
If we could remove the stigma, they say, then people could love God and love marijuana as well. I am not convinced, nor should you be. Marijuana use fits well with certain religions that worship the earth. Several pagan religions use marijuana to enhance their "spiritual experience." But this cannot be the case with Christianity.
The Christian life is not a denial of all pleasure, a point that those who use marijuana are quick to point out. But it does include spiritual discipline, clarity of thought and personal moral and spiritual resolve.
And so, while Michael Phelps may be able to win a gold medal and smoke pot, and while our current president does not fully grasp the detrimental effects of marijuana use, you as a parent should continue to teach its evils.
I warn you to not slip in your resolve to oppose it. No, I beg you, for the sake of your kids, be strong in your opposition to marijuana.

Is this a joke?  :laugh2:

--------------------
Solar Layering METHOD!!!
TO INFINITY AND BEYOND

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck