Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV]
    #9909057 - 03/04/09 08:43 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

GT's note: This student had her career wrecked by bringing Aleve (basically Tylenol) to school, under their zero tolerance policy. Aleve is not even psychoactive.
------------
Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness
3 march 2009 - KVBC

They're not illegal, but prescription drugs can be deadly if they end up in the wrong hands. One CCSD student learned the hard way there is no tolerance when it comes to any type of drugs.

Theresa Davis laid it all out on her dining room table: college recruitment letters and a report card filled with A's and B's. It's hard to argue that her daughter, 16-year-old Elizabeth Davis, is not an all-around good student at Northwest Academy.

"(Recruitment letters) are what we get in the mail, two a day, from all the colleges that want her," says Davis. "All honors classes. She's in the medical program there. Well, she was in the medical program there."

The honor student was in the medical program - until she gave in to a little peer pressure.

"Pretty much because a boy asked her to," explains Davis.

Davis claims that a boy asked her daughter to bring the prescription drug Naproxen to school.

"It's Aleve," says her mother, "but because it's a prescription, she got in trouble for the umbrella of a controlled substance."

This lapse in judgment led Elizabeth to be expelled from Northwest Academy. Now, her mother says she's serving a "prison-like" punishment.

"Now she's at Peterson Behavioral School. My daughter has never had a behavioral problem. I can see that light in her eye dim a little bit every day. As her mom, it's heartbreaking because you want what's best for your kids. And right now, Peterson isn't the best."

Elizabeth had no idea bringing a few pills to school from her medicine cabinet at home would have such serious consequences, nor did she know the dangers. The Clark County School District has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to drugs, prescription or not.

When you look at the numbers, you can understand why that policy is in place. This academic year alone, school police have already made 365 drug-related arrests, many of them involving prescription drugs.

It's too late for Elizabeth; after she finishes the year at Peterson, she still will not be allowed to return to Northwest Academy, where she made that one mistake that could ultimately come at the cost of her academic career.

"Prescription drugs - it's real, it's a problem," agrees Davis. "We just wanted parents to communicate with their kids, talk with them about prescription pills."

Davis says the school found out about the pills when they ended up in the hands of another student. Students are allowed to bring medication to school if they can provide written permisson from a parent. The medication must also be kept in the original container with the student's name on it.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: Green_T]
    #9909562 - 03/04/09 10:49 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

Oh Zero Tolerance, how low won't you stoop?

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

Invisiblechef Jay
Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treasure Coast
Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: buddhabadger]
    #9910426 - 03/04/09 01:22 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

what a way to show the student that even the good kids get fuck for dumb shit, they say it will ruin her career but she is young and will still graduate high school with honor for another high school.  I still feel bad for her because this is a classic example of the zero tolerance rule being ridiculous and how there should always be exceptions where people are judged on individual actions with individual punishments.  Its like looking a pot head up for dealing when he had 2 grams in separate bags because he just bought 2 grams from his dealer.  Goes to jail for a year or less. but still goes to jail for 2 grams.

--------------------
Everything I say is a work of Fiction and should not be taken seriously

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: buddhabadger]
    #9910468 - 03/04/09 01:28 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Zero Tolerance - A Symptom of Zero Thinking

Offlinekimchi6
T-0420
Male User Gallery

Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9910518 - 03/04/09 01:38 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

someone call the cops, I have a headache:rolleyes:

--------------------
Render unto Cesar the things that are Cesar's, and unto God the things that are God's.

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: kimchi6]
    #9910602 - 03/04/09 01:53 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Clark County.  That's the problem.  Screw clark county, and davis county too.  Washoe county kinda sucks as well...

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9911017 - 03/04/09 02:55 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Zero Tolerance - A Symptom of Zero Thinking

Zero Tolerance - The Definition of Hate

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Loc: The West is the Best
Re: Student's expulsion increases prescription drug awareness [US NV] [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #9912088 - 03/04/09 05:44 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Having experienced something simular over a controlled substance I can understand the soul sucking, life destroying aspects of these laws.  Everyone gets indoctrinated about how bad drugs are and most people accept the laws and methods without a second thought.  But how much does the system destroy people's lives as much as some of the drugs sometimes do?  Drugs like meth, cocaine, heroin, not a couple of fucking Aleve. When will this change and become reasonable?

--------------------
finality [faɪˈnælɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the condition or quality of being final or settled; conclusiveness.
2. a final or conclusive act

Long live the Shroomery and I'm done with it.:toast:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom