Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCyric
Master of Time and Space
Male

Loc: Outer Shpongolia
People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world
    #9909447 - 03/04/09 10:26 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I spend an awful lot of time driving and walking around the city I live in for my job.

Lately I've been actively observing people in general, and I've noticed a pattern here.

A great deal of people don't even seem to be aware of their immediate surroundings.

I wish I had a dollar for every idiot that jumps out in traffic, jay walking, and almost gets hit by a car just to cross the street.

If I had yet another dollar for each individual that isn't watching where they're going and I have to change my bearings drastically on the sidewalk to avoid a collision, I would be ridiculously wealthy at this point.

When I drive around, I see many perfectly clear examples of how these dolts herd themselves. If there's three lanes of traffic, and the two on the left are backed up to hell's half acre, why wouldn't you go into the third lane? There are the few that do jump into that lane and zip on down along with me, but why are so many complacent just sitting there like a bunch of retards? The whole point of vehicular transportation is to get in the car and get the fuck where you're going.

But it doesn't stop here. People often call me for help on my job for things they could very easily solve themselves, but they're just too goddamned stuck up to pick up a manual, look in the table of contents, and read about what they're trying to do.

The point is, especially today with the internet and all of the information on there, we have almost limitless access to anything we need or want to know, but people refuse to learn how to use a fucking search engine. Really, how hard is it to type in what you want in Google and do a bit of reading? How easy can it get? The answers to most of life's mysteries are right here in these magic boxes we call computers, a huge trove of knowledge and information, and there's a vast majority of people who just don't see it for what it is.

What the fuck is wrong with them?

I think that the World's issues are inadvertently caused by people who refuse to think, being manipulated by those who see the lack of thought.

I find it sad that we live in an information age and people just refuse to use what we have. It's like a divine gift that's being shat on, defiled. People seem to be getting dumber by the year, and now we've got this whole stupid 'ghetto' culture going on where white kids put on some baseball caps sideways and think they live on the wrong side of the tracks in Chicago or some shit, promoting violence and robbery and total disrespect towards their fellow human being.

How does any of this shit make any sense? Are people really too lazy to think? What do you guys think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Cyric]
    #9909702 - 03/04/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

See my latest thread. ("Are you a cow?")

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRecondicom
Power of four
 User Gallery

Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Cyric]
    #9910102 - 03/04/09 12:21 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

LOL. It is a conspiracy
Are these the questions you will ask all the time?  I mean, some people ask:  Genius, do you have an answer for me? Others ask: Idiot, do you have an answer for me? So… some questions are smart and some questions are idiocy. So… all it takes is to substitute Idiot for Genius. You could put this answer in the manual under “for idiots”  … Still… they could say Genius and then make a stupid question to get an idiot’s reaction or a puzzle look of pure idiocy… My advice to you is to practice the “look” so that people  ask smart questions… these way people will not bother you anymore because they will think that you are not a genius… You could only field questions from geekey people with the genius look in their eyes, LOL and making you sweat. That is in fact too bad because you will not have any free time to post. Being a genius is a much easier life.
      Really.  I found out that the cure is paperwork. People will became genius/idiots to skip paperwork… and putting down their signature is a Whwao. I will have two different forms. One for the question that start with genius and one for the question that start with idiot. Of course… skip paperwork as needed.

--------------------
Wave.
'And for this reason repentance (metanoia) is an elevating means. For he who feels impatience with the circunstances in which he finds himself, devises means of escape.
  Now the chief thing in purification is the will. For then both deeds and words lend a helping hand. But, when the will is absent, the whole purificatory discipline of initiation is...'

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Icelander]
    #9910342 - 03/04/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Just what I was thinking, too many "cows" in the field.

OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: C.M. Mann]
    #9910614 - 03/04/09 01:55 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

and now we've got this whole stupid 'ghetto' culture going on where white kids put on some baseball caps sideways

hey man, i do that sometimes to block the sun.

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: TameMe]
    #9910691 - 03/04/09 02:11 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I have noticed that in certain places in the US where people are very car-dependent
they walk differently than elsewhere. That is, they really don't have the hang of walking.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #9910858 - 03/04/09 02:36 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

:sheepie:

Some sheep never learn. But then again, some do. :yesnod2:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Lakefingers]
    #9911140 - 03/04/09 03:13 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

They sort of blubber along.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9912209 - 03/04/09 06:11 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Cyric said:

I think that the World's issues are inadvertently caused by people who refuse to think, being manipulated by those who see the lack of thought.

I find it sad that we live in an information age and people just refuse to use what we have. It's like a divine gift that's being shat on, defiled. People seem to be getting dumber by the year, and now we've got this whole stupid 'ghetto' culture going on where white kids put on some baseball caps sideways and think they live on the wrong side of the tracks in Chicago or some shit, promoting violence and robbery and total disrespect towards their fellow human being.

How does any of this shit make any sense? Are people really too lazy to think? What do you guys think?

Maybe the guy who stepped out into traffic was preoccupied with how dumb other people are.

Seems to me almost every human is wrapped up in their thoughts about 90-100% of the time.  Causes a lot of ugly behavior.  It's a good idea to get used to this fact and accept it.  People are not very good at paying attention in general.  We're just not that skilled yet.  So sue us.

For example, you obviously weren't still in your car when you posted this, but you were still preoccupied with it even though you were no longer driving.  What's wrong with you?  If you think everyone else is squandering a divine gift, are you sure you're not?  If those slow drivers decided to race home and make a rant on the Shroomery, would you approve of their behavior then?

It's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the world is fucked up because of how everybody else does things.  If only everyone was like me, the world would be perfect.

FWIW I think the world's problems are caused by people thinking too much, not too little.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Lakefingers]
    #9912234 - 03/04/09 06:17 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
I have noticed that in certain places in the US where people are very car-dependent
they walk differently than elsewhere. That is, they really don't have the hang of walking.

I remember reading that if humans ever settle on another planet with lower gravity (eg mars) then within a couple of generations our leg muscles would have changed/evolved radically as we simply wouldnt need so much muscle power to get around. I guess this is maybe already happening in the good old US of A

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Invisibleelbisivni
    #9913656 - 03/04/09 10:02 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

And I wonder why 4 cars on a 4 lane highway block up all 4 lanes by going the same speed..

Consolidate you stupid mother fuckers!

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#9914876 - 03/05/09 03:00 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Cyric said:
I spend an awful lot of time driving and walking around the city I live in for my job.

Lately I've been actively observing people in general, and I've noticed a pattern here.

A great deal of people don't even seem to be aware of their immediate surroundings.

I wish I had a dollar for every idiot that jumps out in traffic, jay walking, and almost gets hit by a car just to cross the street.

If I had yet another dollar for each individual that isn't watching where they're going and I have to change my bearings drastically on the sidewalk to avoid a collision, I would be ridiculously wealthy at this point.

When I drive around, I see many perfectly clear examples of how these dolts herd themselves. If there's three lanes of traffic, and the two on the left are backed up to hell's half acre, why wouldn't you go into the third lane? There are the few that do jump into that lane and zip on down along with me, but why are so many complacent just sitting there like a bunch of retards? The whole point of vehicular transportation is to get in the car and get the fuck where you're going.

But it doesn't stop here. People often call me for help on my job for things they could very easily solve themselves, but they're just too goddamned stuck up to pick up a manual, look in the table of contents, and read about what they're trying to do.

The point is, especially today with the internet and all of the information on there, we have almost limitless access to anything we need or want to know, but people refuse to learn how to use a fucking search engine. Really, how hard is it to type in what you want in Google and do a bit of reading? How easy can it get? The answers to most of life's mysteries are right here in these magic boxes we call computers, a huge trove of knowledge and information, and there's a vast majority of people who just don't see it for what it is.

What the fuck is wrong with them?

You seem to have the idea that humans are intelligent, considerate creatures, with equal mental abilities, .

If you scratch this weird concept (which could never be derived from experience)

and replace it with the notion that humans are selfish animals
with better (from a human perspective) mental abilities than the rest of the animal kingdom

then what you are seeing might make more sense.

people drive in the left lane because you need to be in that lane to overtake. it is the position of power, it is where they want to be.

People want to have power

when it comes to wearing strange clothes.. i find this pretty interesting. where people get their fashion sense from.

teens get a lot of their 'power' by simply opposing the expectatiosn of society (rebellion). Eg wearing a cap, which is the least formal hat, and to the side or back, which is the 'wrong' way to wear it. wearing baggy clothes that dont fit - is so different to wearing fitted clothes with buttons and shape. bling bling to show that you can acquire wealth.

so why do white kids like ghetto culture?

probably because there is no hardcore white culture

we have punks... but punks arent about hot chicks, so they dont quite take the market, and thus the only hardcore culture is black american

hispanics have a hardcore look..
i think its pretty cool actually

i think its considered a bit gay when on tv though.. there arent really any pop hispanics atm?

--------------------

OfflineOzekat
Cosmic Observer
Male

Loc: Kentucky
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9914887 - 03/05/09 03:13 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Walking is so underrated and under appreciated...I've been walking everywhere I need to go for my entire life, and it rules.  Walking is right, we are anatomically composed to walk.  It aligns your body in perfect balance, perfect heart rate and helps you digest food like nothing else.

It is so gentle, and if you walk half an hour a day I seriously doubt you will turn into a fat ass. 

It takes so little, but we're flooded with convenience and ease, comfort and false security.

Anyway shoes suck.  Walking barefoot is amazing! 

I gotta admit, walking alone on a cold city night is torture, if traffic is around anywhere.  They are like angry loud monsters with evil bright eyes growling all around you, waiting for you to make one wrong step so they can smash your sorry pedestrian ass to Canada...or somewhere.

--------------------
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.
- Chinese Proverb

:teleport:

:yinyang: Beauty & Simplicity

OfflineOzekat
Cosmic Observer
Male

Loc: Kentucky
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Ozekat]
    #9914891 - 03/05/09 03:16 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I also hate the term "Pedestrian".

"Look at those stupid fucking pedestrians, Harold!"

"Yeah those poor fucks need to get a job and buy a car!"

My GOD, even the whole stigma with getting a car and getting a life is ridiculous.

"Hey how you been, got a car yet?  What, what the hell man you're almost 21, you need to grow up and get A CAR."

fuck you

--------------------
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.
- Chinese Proverb

:teleport:

:yinyang: Beauty & Simplicity

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Ozekat]
    #9914956 - 03/05/09 04:40 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

i walk everywhere

but i wear shoes

there is too much shit on the ground to walk barefoot

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: Icelander]
    #9914973 - 03/05/09 04:57 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

That. But even in skinny people the pelvis just doesn't swing it...

OfflineCyric
Master of Time and Space
Male

Loc: Outer Shpongolia
Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9915207 - 03/05/09 07:16 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:

Seems to me almost every human is wrapped up in their thoughts about 90-100% of the time.  Causes a lot of ugly behavior.  It's a good idea to get used to this fact and accept it.  People are not very good at paying attention in general.  We're just not that skilled yet.  So sue us.

For example, you obviously weren't still in your car when you posted this, but you were still preoccupied with it even though you were no longer driving.  What's wrong with you?  If you think everyone else is squandering a divine gift, are you sure you're not?  If those slow drivers decided to race home and make a rant on the Shroomery, would you approve of their behavior then?

You speak as if though you're the prime representative of humanity. I highly doubt this is the case.

I would be happy to address your arguments, if they didn't include the straw-man technique. You're twisting my words around a little here, and I'm not going to carry on a debate where the concepts I've brought up are diluted in such a manner.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: People, "common" sense, humanity, and the state of affairs in the world [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9915473 - 03/05/09 09:02 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

We're just not that skilled yet.  So sue us.

What do you mean "yet"? We used to have those skills for survival purposes. We are not getting more skilled we are getting less and less IMO.

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#9917142 - 03/05/09 02:25 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

I think we're getting less skilled at being cavemen and more skilled at other stuff.  I know we disagree here.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#9917159 - 03/05/09 02:26 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Cyric said:

You speak as if though you're the prime representative of humanity. 

I thought the same thing about your post.  Weird.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds