Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Marijuana debate comes to U. Kentucky campus for the first time
    #9908311 - 03/04/09 01:42 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3821382

Marijuana, Weed, Green, Pot, Grass, Herb, Reefer, Chronic, Mary Jane, Ganja or Dope.

No matter what you call it, marijuana, or at least its legalization, is one of the most divisive issues facing the country today. Tuesday at 8 p.m. in Memorial Hall, the University of Kentucky Student Activities Board plans on bringing that discussion to campus as they present “Heads vs. Feds,” a legalization debate between Steve Hager, long-time editor of “High Times” magazine, and Bob Stutman, a former New York state Drug Enforcement Administration agent.

“Not since I’ve been (at UK) have we seen a debate on the legalization of marijuana,” said Alan Herbst, director of engaging issues for SAB.

Hager said that while his magazine does not get involved in any illegal activities, the magazine promotes the legalization of marijuana. Stutman, who worked in the DEA for 25 years, said he served the his last seven years as director of the New York state branch, the largest in the DEA’s office.

“I think (students) will be surprised at the stances both Steve and I take on a lot of issues,” Stutman said. “I think they will be surprised to learn that Steve and I are both personal friends, despite our disagreements.”

Stutman said he hopes students will hear a rational, intelligent presentation from both sides of the issue.

“Cannabis is not the benign drug that people think it is,” he said. “They are making decisions that have long-term consequences, and before they make those decisions, they should listen to all the facts.”

Hager said marijuana can help people eat and sleep better, heighten people’s visual and tactile sensitivity and lead to an increase in creative thoughts. He said the negative effects generally only come into play for people who are overusing the drug.

“Basically, the magic disappears and you can become depressed and withdrawn,” he said. “The solution is to stop abusing.”

While Hager said campaigns, such as “abovetheinfluence,” are a big part of the reason why legalization is taking so long, Stutman said some of the commercials are using misleading or wrong information.

“It’s important for people on both sides of the issue to be honest,” Stutman said.

Hager said students come away from the debate with an appreciation for the values of the counterculture.

“Hippie bigotry has flourished in the mass media, but hippies brought us the environmental movement, the midwife movement, organic food and lots of other great things,” he said. “We’ve already done great things for this country and we could do a lot better if we weren’t so persecuted through these laws.”

Despite his position on the drug’s legalization, Hager said he does not use marijuana in his home or in front of children.

“… But if I’m at a party like Michael Phelps was, and someone offers me a hit, odds are pretty good I’ll take it,” he said.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLegendary
Immortalized

Loc: Europa
Re: Marijuana debate comes to U. Kentucky campus for the first time [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #9908342 - 03/04/09 01:55 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

abovetheinfluence should be illegal

--------------------
Time is nothing, attitude is everything.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

Re: Marijuana debate comes to U. Kentucky campus for the first time [Re: Legendary]
    #9908627 - 03/04/09 05:51 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Legendary said:
nothing should be illegal

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
Re: Marijuana debate comes to U. Kentucky campus for the first time [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #9908709 - 03/04/09 06:34 AM (15 years, 28 days ago)

:thumbup:

haven't you heard? that the bird is the word?

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds