Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >
InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9911808 - 03/04/09 04:58 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Oh man that's awesome!

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Jadian]
    #9911850 - 03/04/09 05:05 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
my Gillette razor lasts me about 40 shaves per blade cartridge,
I never use shaving cream, half the time I dry shave and I've
only cut myself shaving once including the times I've used a
straight razor and safety razor

You're part Native American though, correct?  You probably didn't even have to shave until you were 30 :tongue:

I :lol: at that.

Myself, I couldn't grow a decent beard if my life depended on it.  I didn't even start shaving until I was almost 20, and even then it wasn't really necessary.  Now, at 40, it takes several days before you can tell that I haven't shaved.  And I often go for more then a week before anyone really starts to notice that I'm getting scruffy.  Its kinda nice not having to shave all the time but I do wish I could grow a beard.  My scraggly goatee is the best I can do.  The good thing about it is that I've had the same electric razor for years and I've never had to replace the blades. :smirk:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Apollyphelion] * 1
    #9911852 - 03/04/09 05:05 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

lol

why do you guys shave?

but if i were to shave i would use a hot foam machine and a safety razor.

FUCK CARTRIDGE RAZORS

and fuck shaving for that matter.

the last time i shaved (voluntarily) was.........

NEVER!

its all about using a hairclipper without any attachment.

or an electric shaver with a "trimmer"

--------------------

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: scout24]
    #9911995 - 03/04/09 05:29 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

ive been using mach 3 since i first had facial hair. Im 21 now and have been looking for something better. I shave daily and the mach 3 just doesnt do a good job anymore. I thought about a straight razor but they cost 120$. I might have to try the DE razor....

thanks wiccan!

Offlinewalzmanm
Living, not merely existing
Male User Gallery

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9912122 - 03/04/09 05:49 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, I have thicker facial hair, and I have to shave every other day, or it starts looking scraggly. I might try a safety razor out.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Asante]
    #9912778 - 03/04/09 08:02 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Wow Wiccan, I realized that I'm a complete tard. I used to flip the bottom piece upside down when I put a new razor in sometimes. When I did do it right I realized that my razor curves in the middle of the blade when the thing is fully tightened. If I loosen it the head to make it flat the thing spins while I'm trying to shave... that ends up with blood. It definitely is a skill to be able to use those damned things. I'll figure it out some day.

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Gumby]
    #9912905 - 03/04/09 08:24 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Fuck, I used one of those 25 cent razors, just a touch up around the edges, and my moustache and stuff, and my godamn face is on fire.  I'm not saying it was a mistake to get them just yet, just that maybe next time I should use water and/or shaving cream instead of dry shaving it.

Oh and I knicked the corner of my nose, so I had a drop of blood hangin out when I went to go get some food just now, which I'm sure attracted all the fine women out there :rolleyes:

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Ferris]
    #9914539 - 03/05/09 12:34 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I need to give this a shot. I have got crazy thick hair, and a bunch on my neck too. I'm not saying I'm Grizzly Adams or anything, but I'm worse.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Gumby]
    #9915930 - 03/05/09 11:03 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

I realized that my razor curves in the middle of the blade when the thing is fully tightened. If I loosen it the head to make it flat the thing spins while I'm trying to shave..

Surely you're kidding :lol:

The blade needs to curve and the thing needs to be fully fastened. Watching YouTube tutorials pays in ways words cannot.

And polly.. provided you have the technique down, I hear nothing is as good for bodyshaving as a DE razor with a good blade.

I notice many posters here have moved away from multiblade cartridge razors, opting  for either electric, throwaway single bladers, DE razors or even straight razors.

Too damn expensive and irritating the skin.. I wonder if Gillette actually studies the market rather than milking the cartridge cow for every last penny people are willing to spend on it.

People may shy away from buying a Merkur 34C razor for its onetime $30 price tag, but you get a heavy duty shaving tool that will last you the rest of your life, and accepts $0.15 blades, at the cost of purchasing a Gillette Fusion with 8 blades.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (03/05/09 11:12 AM)

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Asante]
    #9915937 - 03/05/09 11:05 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I found body shaving with disposables to be futile.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #10099715 - 04/03/09 10:50 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Just got my Parker 91R in the mail...and all I can say is WOW!!

The "skill" was easier to pick up than I had anticipated, and wow is the shave nice! I got some Derby blades, and I also picked up a cheap brush and some Proraso shaving cream from the drug store (which I have actually been using for a week now with my old cartridge razor - couldn't wait for my DE razor to come in the mail!). I didn't get a close of a shave as I know I can get (having had a straight razor shave from the barber before) but even after having the razor for 5 minutes I was able to do a against-the-grain shave. I have NEVER been able to do an against the grain shave before.

I don't know why nobody from my generation shaves this way! Seriously! When did this lost art stop being handed down from father to son? Mine certainly didn't teach me...he had switched to cartridge razors by the time I was of shaving age.

Actually, I just asked him...and he never even used one!! I remember when I was little finding one in our bathroom, but apparently he just found it at his granmother's house and never actually used it! He's coming over tomorrow to see it and the results.

So I guess it's not just my generation. While I am sure almost no one learned from their fathers, I guess even our fathers didn't always learn from their dads! My gf's father uses a DE razor...but he is from Poland and so wasn't part of the whole western style upbringing.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineDrGuano
Male

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: unretarded]
    #10100001 - 04/03/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

unretarded said:
Remember all those stop bleed sticks and fancy round face patches you dont see that often...............people that had toilet paper stuck on 6 spots all over the face,remember dad yelling...MOTHER FUKER at the top of his lungs in the bathroom a 5:30 A.M.

Pepperidge Farms remembers

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: trendal]
    #10100076 - 04/03/09 12:05 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Aint it great? :yesnod:

A Parker 91R - yeah I got one too, its one of the best Parkers, looks cool but is highly aggressive, so takes more skill to wield than a Merkur 34C but will give you the closest shave in the least number of passes fast.
A very nice DE razor and Derby Extra's are a good load for them.

Quote:

don't know why nobody from my generation shaves this way! Seriously! When did this lost art stop being handed down from father to son?

QFFT !

It takes some skill to wield one well, and there is an element of risk to it, providing a challenge to an otherwise boring task. Its a cool tool to wield and it saves you a lot of $$ in the long run.

Within a month of every-other-day shaving, I had the technique down to haaving a full shave of

Walk into bathroom
Warm hot towels to soften the whiskers
Whipping up a lather with my brush
Lathering up
Shaving
Re-lathering
Second pass
Apply some lather here and there
Final touchups
Wash
Dry
Apply aftershave balm
Clean brush & razor & sink
Walk out of the bathroom cleanshaven

In under 10 minutes flat :rockon:

With the grain, against the grain, across the grain, following contours, buffing.. I havent had a nick in two months or so, and I never had a nick that wept. Next to no irritation compared with a cartridge. No ingrown hairs (razor bumps) and no hair pulling!

DE shaving is full of win.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (04/03/09 12:08 PM)

OfflineCokedUpHobit64
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #10100170 - 04/03/09 12:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The only question is: Can you use it for your pubes?

--------------------
So good to see you, I've missed you so much.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#10100247 - 04/03/09 12:50 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I actually didn't find the 91R to be that aggressive! Though, to be true, this is only my first time using a DE razor :smirk:

I think, after using the 91R, that the Merkur 34C wouldn't be aggressive enough! That was what I read, anyway.

As a side note...the ONLY place that I could find a DE razor offline, local, only had 2 razors for sale. One was a Merkur, though I don't know which, and cost $69! The other one cost a whopping $125...I didn't even see the name of that one!

I ended up getting mine online for $45 including 10 of the Derby blades, shipping, and taxes!

Luckily just about any drug store around here sells brushes and Proraso, as well as stocking Gillette blades (though not the razor...they looked at me like I was nuts when I asked). I'll probably stick with my online supplier for blades, as they are only $2.99 for 10 blades. The drug store charges almost twice as much for the same number!

Actually I just looked, and they have 100 packs of the Derby Extras for $19.95! That is incredibly cheap! Using my old cartridges it cost at the least $1/week and quite often it would cost $3/week. If I buy 100 blades it's only about $0.20/week! That's 1/5 to a 1/15 the cost!

I'm sold!

edit: I got mine from www.fendrihan.com if anybody is wondering. Canadian supplier.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Edited by trendal (04/03/09 12:51 PM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: trendal]
    #10101703 - 04/03/09 05:50 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I ended up getting mine online for $45 including 10 of the Derby blades, shipping, and taxes!

OUCH! You couldve gotten a Merkur 34C and 100 blades for that.

I'm sorry to say, the Parker 91R is a $5 razor retail in India.

I've seen Derby Extra blades shipped CONUS which you could get delivered for $16/100 (USD)

Me I have several hundred blades, it gets cheaper the more you order (30 CAD for 200 Derby's for instance) and you're going to use em anyway.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offline2Cents
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: scout24]
    #10101736 - 04/03/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

...listening.. I have a safety razor but iv never used it...I'll give it a try.

--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#10101777 - 04/03/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I just dug this thread up the other day. Give me the scoop ya'll, where do I buy, what do I buy, and so on?

Two questions? Why do you have to go over your face a 2nd time? I have CRAZY thick hair and I don't really have to pass over it twice. I am SO afraid of razor burn. My technique is down flat, and it's hard for me to make the jump. And, I use a GREAT natural shaving lotion, by far the best stuff I have ever used, do you all see any problems with using that?

Thanks, and man, I can't wait!

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#10102598 - 04/03/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I've seen Derby Extra blades shipped CONUS which you could get delivered for $16/100 (USD)

16 U.S. dollars = 19.6831989 Canadian dollars :wink:

The price difference just isn't that much. I was happy to be paying the 45 instead of 80 for one of the two models they had in store!

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#10102787 - 04/03/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Wiccan, what should I get, and where should I get it at. If I'm going to do this, I may as well load up. How long does your DE last you guys? I'm sure it was mentioned, but may as well as instead of digging :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order