Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecultibob
Male

Loc: Scotland
First Grow Rye Grain
    #9901858 - 03/03/09 06:29 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Hi I'm hoping this will be my first successful grow. I began trying to grow in October with the PF tek, with a spore syringe from redeyefrog, but after three weeks I had no results, then I played around with agar for two months but never got any growth. Then I went home over christmas and talked to a friend who told me I should squirt the spores directly on PCed rye grain so thats what I'm doing now...

First I soaked my grains, I used a coffee/water tek, but when I took a Ph reading on the coffee it came up 5.3 and I was worried about this so I did half just soaked in water at a Ph of 7.5. After a 48 hour soak the Ph on both was about 6.4, then I boiled them for 10 minutes and strained them and tried to release as much steam as possible.

These are the jars I used, each jar is half a pint.

These jars have single lids, so I drilled 3 holes in each and cut tyvek discs and pushed them in the lids.

These are the grains after they have been strained

These are the grains before I PCed at 15 psi for an hour and a half.

Here are the grains after I PCed them (sorry bout the crap pics)

I have a small PC so I had to do the jars 4 at a time and store them in this bin

I let the jars cool over night and in the morning I thoroughly cleaned my bathroom and inoculated the jars in my tub. Here is the set up in my bathroom.

Here are the jars after inoculation.

Right now I have the jars stored in a bin with a heat pad attached to the lid and covered with blankets. the temp reads 30 degrees C (86F). when the heating goes on some times it goes up to 33 degrees C (91.4F), is this ok?

A couple problems that I could uses help with:

(1) When I PCed the rye grains soaked in coffee, the water in the PC dried out and slightly burnt the jars for 5 minutes. I took the jars out and transferred them into new jars and added a bit of water and re-PCed them for an hour and a half. Are these jars fucked?

(2) As you can see in one of the pics I have taped over the holes on the lids, so now I think I am blocking gas exchange, I was thinking I might take the tape off after I see mycelium growth and put cotton in the holes or tape tyvek over the holes on the top of the lid. ANY suggestions on this would be very helpful, or if the tape over the holes is ok please tell me.

Cheers,
I'll keep updating as things progress

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineethicdrummer
Stranger
Male

Loc: USA, EARTH
Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: cultibob]
    #9901886 - 03/03/09 06:47 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

To me I see 2 problems there. 1st and foremost get that temp down, 86 is old news and way to hot your asking for contams. 70-75% (room temp is fine for incubation. The other thing is everyone will tell you that the bathroom and the kitchen are the 2 worste places for mycology because of all the airborn bacteria that lingers in them.

Offlineethicdrummer
Stranger
Male

Loc: USA, EARTH
Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: ethicdrummer]
    #9901891 - 03/03/09 06:52 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Oh yeah another thing. Did you buy your spores from a shroomery vendor this time? There's alot of shoddy vendors out there selling bunk spores so in the future always buy from a trusted vendor. Also the next time you attempt this you should really consider quart jars. Still all in all if your spores are healthy and you get those temps down, You should be OK. Good luck.

OfflineCarcass
Polarized
Male User Gallery

#9902163 - 03/03/09 08:50 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Dude i'm doing rye grains and i'm at the same process. waiting kernels to colonize. i'll follow your log. i wonder who will have more shrooms :p
here's my log:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9854164#9854164
got 6 jars. 3 of them are %20-30 colonized, the others are below %20.
Good luck to us!

OfflineStuckintheskY
For the most part

#9902176 - 03/03/09 08:53 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Just put them up on a shelf in a closet. An incubator is not needed, bad for air exchange and the temps get too high allowing certain contams to grab hold of the rye. Bathrooms are the worst places to inoculate jars. Especially a bathtub or anywhere near the floor. Make a glove box if you can, it will save you lots of trouble.

--------------------
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become. "

Offlinecultibob
Male

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: StuckintheskY]
    #9902516 - 03/03/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Cheers, yeah I made a glove box, but my buddy told me the bathroom was the way forward, I did cleanin it extremely well, but next grow ill do the glove box again. Wish I had a closet to turn into a lab, but the kitchen and bathroom are the only things I have so its gonna have to do. thanks about the temp, I'll def get that down..
Thanks for all the comments... and keep givin me input and any answers to the 2 questions would be helpful.

Offlinecultibob
Male

#9902538 - 03/03/09 10:17 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Oh yeah and I got my spores from spores101, so they should be good.
Cheers again

Offlinepuckmonster
The Loooooone Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Texas
    #9902611 - 03/03/09 10:30 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

cultibob said:
Oh yeah and I got my spores from spores101, so they should be good.
Cheers again

Actually do a search for spores 101 and you will literally find hundreds of posts about people getting screwed by them.

Use a sponsor they love us and if anything goes wrong they will hop right on it to make us happy.

Offlinecultibob
Male

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: puckmonster]
    #9946881 - 03/10/09 04:39 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Hey guys don't know if anyone is still reading my post, but I just had a look tonight at my jars and they have just started colonizing. It is an amazing feeling after trying so hard with agar and PF tek for like 6 months and now I got some mycelium... sorry for rambling, just I am really excited. Its been 8 day since inoculation. I will post some photos tomorrow. Any ideas when I should see full colonization? because I am going away in 2 weeks for 2 weeks... they are half pint jars if you haven't read my full post.
Cheers for all the help.

Offlinecultibob
Male

Mycelium Appears [Re: cultibob]
    #9950392 - 03/11/09 08:10 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Here are the pics taken today, March 11th, day 9.

I've not shaken them yet, seeing as everywhere I've read says wait till 25% colonized. From these photos does anyone believe I should shake them now?

Some are growing quicker than others, and my question about the coffee ones was solved, looks like they might even be growing quicker.

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Mycelium Appears [Re: cultibob]
    #9950420 - 03/11/09 08:19 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Itll prob take around 2 weeks to finish. Maybe a little less. You shouldnt shake yet. Give it to like 50%.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

OfflineTheMushMan
Stranger

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: puckmonster]
    #9950460 - 03/11/09 08:32 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

puckmonster said:

Actually do a search for spores 101 and you will literally find hundreds of posts about people getting screwed by them.

two things; one, i will absolutely back up puckmonster's quote here!  i just had a syringe of amazonians from them that everyone of the jars contamed.  i did a batch of creepers at the same time and everyone of them worked, so i know it was not my technique that caused the contam.  if you're in canada, use ralphsters.  spores101.ca sucks my balls.  secondly, you said that you had no results with pf cakes...no offense, but that's like the easiest way to grow and if you can't master that...well, maybe it's not quite time to move up the chain...just my opinion, hope you have better luck with your rye than your pf cakes.

--------------------
Any spore prints I send are intended for microscopic research ONLY.  Cultivation of magic mushrooms is illegal in most countries and nearly every state.  Anything you do with prints from me is your own business and your own responsibility.

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: TheMushMan]
    #9950479 - 03/11/09 08:37 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

You should really looki into quarts. More grain and more spawn with less jars.

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9950486 - 03/11/09 08:40 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

TheMushMan said:

you said that you had no results with pf cakes...no offense, but that's like the easiest way to grow and if you can't master that...well, maybe it's not quite time to move up the chain...just my opinion, hope you have better luck with your rye than your pf cakes.

Hey, hes obviously got it working now. His jars are colonizing. people can start with PF tek or grains, they are both pretty simple, just different ways of doing everything. Personally, i think people can learn more about the way mushrooms and myc grow by doing grains.

--------------------

OfflineTheMushMan
Stranger

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: iskinbash]
    #9950494 - 03/11/09 08:44 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

iskinbash said:
Personally, i think people can learn more about the way mushrooms and myc grow by doing grains.

interesting; in what way?

--------------------
Any spore prints I send are intended for microscopic research ONLY.  Cultivation of magic mushrooms is illegal in most countries and nearly every state.  Anything you do with prints from me is your own business and your own responsibility.

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9950512 - 03/11/09 08:52 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I guess it sort of depends on how you learn to do it, whether you just want to learn steps and follow those, or if you actually want to learn and implement the perameters needed for myc to grow and fruit. Grains helped me to learn what was actually needed for the myc, not just to memorize a recipe and steps and follow those. maybe it was because it is a little more difficult to get everything right with grains, therefore, at least for me, i was doing everything i could to understand why it needed what i was told it needed. I grew a lot in mycology when i moved to grains.

--------------------

OfflineTheMushMan
Stranger

#9950532 - 03/11/09 08:59 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

oh ic ic; yah, i'm new to this whole art and for the time being i'm just following the steps but i'd like to get into doing agar and shit like that.

--------------------

OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

#9950550 - 03/11/09 09:04 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I started off with grains, and when I finally decided to do some pf, I wasn't really impressed.

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: ChrisWho]
    #9950724 - 03/11/09 10:03 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah, if someone is confident they can do grains after researching what it takes, then i would really suggest skipping PF tek. if they arent so sure of themselves, then i would suggest starting off with the pf tek.

--------------------

OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

#9950742 - 03/11/09 10:08 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I got to watch someone use grains firsthand before my first grow, so that could be why I opted to skip pf.

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9950756 - 03/11/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah. i could see that being a really helpful thing to have experience showing you first hand.

--------------------

InvisibleDoodle
fuck off
Female

#9950759 - 03/11/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Grain are better in alot of peoples eye's but pf tek is perfect for people just starting out or low on budget and simply can or don't want to dive right in and buy a PC. In my eyes if you plan on growing then you really should invest in a PC but hey the pf tek is there until you do. and it does help you get your sterile techniques down pat. both have there pro's and cons but for more spawn and faster harvest grain is the way to go in my opinion. and if you got the funds for a PC there's no reason it cant be done for a first grow. many have done it.

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: Doodle]
    #9950876 - 03/11/09 10:39 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I started with the PF TEk as well. I wasn't that impressed with it either.

I quickly moved to grains. It seems to me that grains are a lot faster and more open to changing the ingredients around to produce a better mushroom.

Agar for me how I noc up my grain jars. I find it a lot easier this way.

When I did my first PF jar it took one month for the jar to be 100% colonized.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Offlinecultibob
Male

Re: First Grow Rye Grain [Re: Starrider]
    #9951939 - 03/11/09 02:06 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Cheers guys,
Yeah just thought I'd clear up somethings.. give a lil story, I got very interested in the idea of growing mushies after growing MJ last year. So I picked up the computer about 8 months ago did a bit a research found out about the PF tek and was interested. I live in both the UK and America, but at the moment mainly in the UK, because I was impatient I just got some spores off redeyefrog (a very poor site as I later found out). After 3 weeks there was no growth, so then I went to my Uni library found two of Paul S.'s books and did a good bit of reading. Then I got obsessed with Agar and trying to do everything from the ground up, well that was a bad idea, a bit too advanced and my environment was not sterile enough. Then Christmas came and I went back to the US and found out my cousin's boyfriend had grown, so I had a bunch of conversations with him... which led me down this road... So he sent me back to the UK with some of his spore syringes which he knew were safe and BAM here I am...
My thoughts are the PF tek sounds all well and good, but I think there is something that feels more natural when working with grain, and spawning it. I like the feeling of being more involved with my grow (and there is nothing wrong with the fact that this method will probably produce more mushies)

Sorry bout the long winded story...
Truely thanks for the encouragement and all the comments... fingers crossed hope everything goes to plan. :thumbup:

Offlinecultibob
Male

Update [Re: cultibob]
    #9984577 - 03/16/09 07:52 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

Day 15
Here are all the jars lined up in order of progress.

Here are jars 1 and 2

Here are jars 3 and 4

Here are jars 5 and 6

Here are jars 7, 8 and 9

Here are jars 10, 11 ND 12

Here are jars 13 and 14

It seems that 13 and 14 are not growing at all so i don't expect anything from them, but I am confused about the different growth paces of the jars. Will it be O.K. to leave the fully colonized jars alone, while the others continue to colonize? Are these jars stalled? should I shake any of the more colonized jars? or should I just leave everything for a week and not touch it?:confused::confused:

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Update [Re: cultibob]
    #9987123 - 03/17/09 06:41 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

Leave them for a little longer and watch them go. Remember that the only growth you see is the growth pressed against the side of the jar. A lot of the colonization is inside the grain and you cant see it. I would say give it a week, and if a few really dont show more growth, go ahead and give those ones a shake. And yes, youll be alright leaving the fully colonized jars alone for a little bit while your other ones catch up.

--------------------

InvisibleDoodle
fuck off
Female

Re: Update [Re: iskinbash]
    #9987900 - 03/17/09 11:04 AM (15 years, 5 days ago)

yeah Ive left fully colonized jars for up to two weeks while some slow goers were catching up.

Offlinecultibob
Male

Re: Update [Re: Doodle]
    #9997689 - 03/18/09 08:52 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

At the moment I'm thinking my jars might be drying out, I think some of the grains are not wet enough, so I shook 3 of the jars to see how they would react. I am leaving on friday afternoon to go away for 16 days so I am going to post some pictures tomorrow and if anyone can give me some advise on what I should do while I'm away that would be helpful... and also either confirm of deny whether the jars are too dry because of the heat.
Thanks I will update tomorrow.

OfflineStuckintheskY
For the most part

Re: Update [Re: cultibob]
    #9998653 - 03/18/09 11:47 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

I'm doing the same thing right now. On day 2 and no signs of growth. I hope it works out for the both of us. Good Luck bro:sunny:

--------------------
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become. "

Offlinecultibob
Male

problems with my mycelium on rye grain [Re: StuckintheskY]
    #10001847 - 03/19/09 03:00 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I am getting worried about my jars, but all of the mycelium seems to still be uncontaminated. But I think I might have kept my jars too close to one of my heaters and because of this I have dried the water out from some of the grains, which has left excess water in the jars... I'm not sure of this so if anyone could look at the pictures and tell me what they think is up, would appreciate that... and some of the grains seem to have some discoloration, which I fear might be contam, I tried to show this in the pictures... I am also leaving for 16 days so what should I do?  Oh and I shook up 3 of the jars to try to redistribute the moisture, bad idea or good idea?

Here is the bottom of one of the jars... there are drier and wetter parts of this jar, so is this contam or just moisture?

Is this a contam?

In this picture I tried to show what looks like drier grains to me... Am I correct in thinking this?

This is a picture trying to capture the drier grains next to the wetter ones

I shook this jar up last night... is this just over wetness or is this contam?

Here is a picture of some of the Mycelium.

Need help soon, please

OfflineStuckintheskY
For the most part

Re: problems with my mycelium on rye grain [Re: cultibob]
    #10001863 - 03/19/09 03:02 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Hard for me to tell lol since my jars haven't shown any signs of growth yet. Some look a little discoloured, I see why you are worried, we will have to wait for someone with experience to chime in on this one. This should help me out as well. :sunny:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale