Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKilljoy
TheHyperdimensionalSlug

Who hears voices?!!?!?
    #9876351 - 02/27/09 11:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Serious question:

Who "hears voices" in their head that differ from the voice they would hear if they were to specifically imagine the same voice saying the same thing?

Hearing voices used to be classified as a diagnostic symptom of schizophrenia (because of some old school kook that just said so, even though his classification has been shown to be wrong) and it has remained in popular thought as a way to diagnose/spot a "crazy person", even though the modern diagnosis of schizophrenia requires additional symptoms, such as the inability to control one's actions, to actually label someone schizophrenic.

There's a tremendous quantity of artists that speak of "voices inside their heads" in their lyrics, poetry, etc...  and it always seems that they affect them as if it's something they can't control.

I would love to know if anyone else is endowed with this particular trait?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? [Re: Killjoy]
    #9876765 - 02/27/09 12:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sometimes (rarely) in the middle of the night when awake usually and as I am drifting off almost I will distinctly hear someone call out my name. Usually quite loud and then nothing. I always thought it was my personal demon that had invaded my bod as a young child and now makes almost everything go wrong.:shrug:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? [Re: Icelander]
    #9876888 - 02/27/09 12:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yea, its always someone calling me too.

Its hard to describe, but its happened when I am around people on a sort of unspoken level. What is weird about it (besides the obvious) is how this particularly reflects the situation. What I mean is, where some kind of "hello" would seem to properly fit, like when someone enters the room; on this unspoken level, I hear "my name...", like someone hailing me from a distance, or maybe "-my name?". I think its interesting to mark the difference, but what can you really think?

Well that's the phenomenon at least.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9877724 - 02/27/09 02:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sometimes when I'm righteously blazed I hear voices from Family Guy narrating things I'm reading or doing.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineBigJonMud

Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? [Re: deCypher]
    #9887843 - 03/01/09 12:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck yeah!
But if I don't like it, I turn them off.
I love it.  External, positive and negative hallucinations are also great.          Everyone has 'made' their keys appear as though they weren't on the coffee table when they really were.

Delusions of persecution however, can stay where they came from.:thumbdown:
'GRANDEUR', on the other hand.. :thumbup:

A dumbass will only diagnose another dumbass, when that dumbass is dysfunctional or dangerous.

We are all schizo- (every healthy mind contains 'parts')
Just gets messy when the 'part' holds more weight than the 'whole'.

But the good news is, that this only takes minutes these days, rather than years in psycho-the-rape-y

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? *DELETED* [Re: BigJonMud]
    #9888020 - 03/01/09 12:54 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Mufungo

Reason for deletion: ...

--------------------

OfflineBigJonMud

Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? [Re: Mufungo]
    #9888647 - 03/01/09 05:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

'Meta-model' me, mufungo? :wink:

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? [Re: BigJonMud]
    #9889400 - 03/01/09 10:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

what about voices that arent in your head?

unless your saying all voices other then human that are coming from out there would be included as 'in your head'?

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#9892082 - 03/01/09 06:39 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

I posted an article in here a few months ago from sciencedaily.com about caffeine intake increasing the potentiality of hallucinations. At the end of the article they said that under normal circumstances, something like 5% of the population hears voices. Also, don't confuse "hearing voices" with your internal dialogue. Everybody has "voices" in their head...if you sit down for 10 minutes and not think of anything in particular you will start hearing things in your head, which is your internal dialogue.

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: Who hears voices?!!?!? [Re: fazdazzle]
    #9892217 - 03/01/09 06:57 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

damn that is crazy about the caffeine but totally makes sense and is verifiable at least for me and at least at one point in time... good stuff tho thanks for the help

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #9901438 - 03/03/09 01:40 AM (15 years, 29 days ago)

One of my old high school friends used to hear a female demon who told him all kinds of crazy shit. Apparently, he summoned this demon by reading some sort of witchcraft spell or something. I haven't seen him in quite a while, but I hope he's doing fine; I'm not sure if he still hears this or any other voice.

I for one think that hearing voices is a magnificent human capability, though after seeing what it did to my friend, it can turn out to be quite bothersome and detrimental to one's well-being. I myself don't hear any voices other than my own internal dialogue, which is going through puberty right now, BTW. :smirk:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom