Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Loc: north of the 49th
casings: still a bit confused...
    #9894049 - 03/02/09 01:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i've soaked up a lot of info about casings thanks to this forum and others, but i'm still confused about a few things:

1. whats the difference (if any,) between peat and coir? if i were to use coir, would i still need to use hydrated lime and/or oyster shells to adjust the pH? basically, i just like the fact that coir comes in nice little compact bricks. so can i use it as a substitute for the peat? what is your preference?

2. when spawning grain or PF cakes to a 50/50+ mix, can i mix the 50/50 (without the lime and oyster shells,) with the colonized substrate, then add another layer of pure 50/50+ on top... or should i put down a layer of 50/50 first, followed by the substrate all by itself, then the final layer of 50/50+? does it make a difference...?

3. once you have spawned your substrate, what is the best procedure for re-colonization thereafter? i see some people casing it once, then letting it incubate, patching if necessary, then placing it directly into the FC... while others, (unless i'm even more confused than i thought,) are casing it AGAIN, then letting THAT layer colonize too, and only then, after two layers of colonized casing, transferring it to the FC.
any thoughts?

i hope my questions were clear enough... thanks in advance for taking the time to help! you guys are great!

--------------------
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein     

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Edited by protestsong (03/02/09 01:32 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: protestsong]
    #9894069 - 03/02/09 01:25 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Your getting a little confused, you dont spawn to 50/50+ mix. Thats a casing layer and it should be spready ontop of your fully colinised substrate. You dont want to replace the peat with coir. Coir is good food for fungi, you want your casing layer non nuititritious.

If you like coir, you would be better of crumbling your cakes and mixing them with pasturised coir and fruiting uncased.

its definatly a better option than stgraight casing. cakes are best left as cakes unless there being spawned to bulk substrates.

Thres plenty of teks on oit

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9894237 - 03/02/09 01:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

i've soaked up a lot of info about casings

The word 'casings' does not exist in mycology. You'll hear new growers use it a lot around here, but it's incorrect and only serves to confuse other new growers. The word 'casing' is a verb, and refers to the act of placing a casing layer(noun) on top of colonized substrate.

You spawn your fully colonized cakes or grains to your bulk substrate material, cover with foil or some other cover to hold CO2 at high levels, but with a few small nail sized holes punched in it so 'some' of the gasses can escape.  When fully colonized, you can fruit it uncased by removing the foil cover to allow for a sudden drop in CO2 as fresh air is introduced, or you can apply a casing layer and wait for that to colonize before introducing to fruiting conditions.  Peat/verm with gypsum and lime is a good casing layer material should you decide to use one.  Coir is a bulk substrate material similar to manure or straw.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9894239 - 03/02/09 02:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

1. Peat has no nutrients coir does.

2.(put down a layer of 50/50 first, followed by the substrate all by itself, then the final layer of 50/50+)  This is the proper way to do a casing.

3. Forget about trying this for now and do some more reading on spawning to bulk.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: george castanza]
    #9894258 - 03/02/09 02:06 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The casing layer goes on top only.  Putting casing material on the bottom leads to bottom pinning where it's hard to harvest.  However, for cubes, a casing layer over bulk substrate is completely unnecessary.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Loc: north of the 49th
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9898161 - 03/02/09 07:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

thanks so much... apparently i was QUITE confused... really didn't help that "casing" is so often used as a noun. and all this time i thought coir was devoid of nutrients, just like peat, so couldn't be used as a bulk substrate.

so basically, if i DO use a bulk substrate like coir to spawn my grain or cakes to, i DON'T need to case it? what are the pros and cons of these two methods? (bulk sub vs. casing)

anyway, things are much clearer now. thanks so much for taking the time to help me out!

there will be much learning, and many more questions asked, but i really look forward to putting what i've learned into practice!

uhh... metaphorically, of course, since cultivating shrooms in canada is illegal :laugh:

--------------------
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein     

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Edited by protestsong (03/02/09 07:22 PM)

Offlinescottprotege
Stranger

Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: protestsong]
    #9898337 - 03/02/09 07:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The difference with bulk is going to be a little bit more time and effort invested with a much larger yield!

I just started myself, I started with casings and bulk both and I am very happy with them both, but I will be sticking with the poop/straw bulk do to the larger return, and potentialy more potent end product.

Offlineshroomyjames3395
happie newbie
Male

Loc: The Land of Mormons
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: scottprotege]
    #9898562 - 03/02/09 08:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Not to thread jack but what do you guys think about my casing? It's one pint of whole grain brown rice (amazon strain) cased with 50/50+. I incubated, then patched and fruited. It has been in the fruiting chamber for 2 weeks now. I have followed hyphae's casing tek to the T. There are no pins. I think those are hyphal knots all over but I'm not sure. It is starting to yellow (due to metabolites?) but it just doesn't want to pin. Any suggestions?

--------------------
:cool:shroomyjames3395

Invisiblegoldieman
On some other shit!

Loc: midwest
Re: caisngs: stlil a bit confused... [Re: scottprotege]
    #9898580 - 03/02/09 08:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i think the question to case or not to case depends upon your fruiting conditions. in greenhouses, i think casing helps to create that micro-climate at the substrates surface to trigger the fruiting process. in monotubs, i have noticed there doesnt seem to be much need for casing since the environment inside the tubs is pretty much stable. if you do decide to case your tubs/trays, make sure you check the ph. it needs to be between 7-8. peat easily contaminates at a lower ph. in my opinion, casing isn't worth it. i have ruined big projects when it came time for casing w/ peat. all that work to end up with trich is very discouraging. if i do case, i use a verm/coir mix, 80/20, w/ lime and whatever added. and i apply only a really thin layer so that the light gets down to the substrate.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder