Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFreedomForAll
One Step Ahead
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Religion...
    #9890625 - 03/01/09 02:17 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Should I really explore religion at my college level? Is religion really something you have to choose early on? My dad pushes his ideals constantly on me, ever since I was little...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Religion... [Re: FreedomForAll]
    #9890682 - 03/01/09 02:26 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

FreedomForAll said:
Should I really explore religion at my college level?

Are you talking about religious studies?  If so, I'd highly recommend it.  Religion is a fascinating subject.  If you're talking about entering seminary or something like that, then that's a personal matter that depends on your beliefs.

Quote:

Is religion really something you have to choose early on?

Of course not.  I didn't find religion until a particularly powerful acid trip in my early 20's.

Quote:

My dad pushes his ideals constantly on me, ever since I was little...

That sucks.  There's no better way to sour someone on the idea of faith than to try and push your beliefs on them.  Real faith is not about coercion.

--------------------

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #9890690 - 03/01/09 02:27 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

You must carefully consider all possible faiths and denominations and select your choice. If you choose wrong, it's straight to the Lake of Fire for you, buddy!:mad:

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9890751 - 03/01/09 02:34 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Ask your self the question "Is this what i want to spend my time doing?"  Is this what your are truly fascinated by, and love to learn more about?  If so i say go for it, if not (self explanatory)

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #9890765 - 03/01/09 02:35 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

FreedomForAll said:
Is religion really something you have to choose early on?

do you even need religion, it's possible to have faith without it

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #9890784 - 03/01/09 02:37 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

FreedomForAll said:
Should I really explore religion at my college level? Is religion really something you have to choose early on? My dad pushes his ideals constantly on me, ever since I was little...

Why study myths at all? I mean I do like Lord Of the Rings and Greek Myths, and fairy tales as much as the next guy, but religion? Why bother?

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlineboletusoftruth
Psychedelic Funk
Male

Loc: MASS
Re: Religion... [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #9891142 - 03/01/09 03:39 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

To me all religion is false. Religion is an organized system created by humans, that  has more holes than Grade A Swiss cheese.

However before you start the flaming :flamethrow:

I realized a few months ago that just because religion is false, does NOT mean that there is no god, entity or something of that sort.

Take your pick.

--------------------

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Religion... [Re: boletusoftruth]
    #9892732 - 03/01/09 08:25 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

I understand that all atheists have been educated on all religious matters and have come to the conclusion that all are bullshit. The vast majority of the people on the planet are dumb and insecure so the believe in God to feel better about death.

Or maybe the atheists are the insecure ones with the "holier than thou" attitudes. Who aren't educated on the matter and do what their subconscious tells them to do. The same thing Satanist's are supposed to do.

Either way I find it annoying that any thread about religion or God can go about 2 hours before being bombarded by gun-ho atheists who are trying to push "Their UN-belief" on anyone who has questions regarding faith or religion.

To the OP, I have my own beliefs, but I am very fascinated by all religions. It doesn't hurt to learn something new. Just don't do it to make your father happy. He sounds like a catholic, IMO. If you have your goals in life for college and have time to take a religious course I say go for it.

If not you can always learn at you own level, and explore which religions or beliefs you choose.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
Re: Religion... [Re: sandman_130]
    #9892786 - 03/01/09 08:33 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Like the other posters before me, I also believe religion to be a hoax organization full of brainwashed people.  It is a corrupt way of manipulating people.  The bible had many authors, all of which were men who added their own personal beliefs to the bible, Jesus did not write the bible, so why follow the opinion of another man?  Also, you don't need religion to be a moralistic/good person.  There are too many inconsistancies (with the Jesus Bible) to believe any of it.
Take these contradicting statements straight from the bible:

GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day.

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.

GE 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created.

GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.

GE 1:28 God encourages reproduction.
LE 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

GE 1:31 God was pleased with his creation.
GE 6:5-6 God was not pleased with his creation.
(Note: That God should be displeased is inconsistent with the concept of omniscience.)

GE 2:4, 4:26, 12:8, 22:14-16, 26:25 God was already known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) much earlier than the time of Moses.
EX 6:2-3 God was first known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) at the time of the Egyptian Bondage, during the life of Moses.

GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.

GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

GE 4:4-5 God prefers Abel's offering and has no regard for Cain's.
2CH 19:7, AC 10:34, RO 2:11 God shows no partiality. He treats all alike.

GE 4:9 God asks Cain where his brother Able is.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden from his view.

GE 7:7 Noah and his clan enter the Ark.
GE 7:13 They enter the Ark (again?).

GE 11:7-9 God sows discord.
PR 6:16-19 God hates anyone who sows discord.

GE 11:9 At Babel, the Lord confused the language of the whole world.
1CO 14:33 Paul says that God is not the author of confusion.

GE 11:12 Arpachshad [Arphaxad] was the father of Shelah.
LK 3:35-36 Cainan was the father of Shelah. Arpachshad was the grandfather of Shelah.

GE 11:26 Terah was 70 years old when his son Abram was born.
GE 11:32 Terah was 205 years old when he died (making Abram 135 at the time).
GE 12:4, AC 7:4 Abram was 75 when he left Haran. This was after Terah died. Thus, Terah could have been no more than 145 when he died; or Abram was only 75 years old after he had lived 135 years.

GE 12:7, 17:1, 18:1, 26:2, 32:30, EX 3:16, 6:2-3, 24:9-11, 33:11, NU 12:7-8, 14:14, JB 42:5, AM 7:7-8, 9:1 God is seen.
EX 33:20, JN 1:18, 1JN 4:12 God is not seen. No one can see God's face and live. No one has ever seen him.

GE 10:5, 20, 31 There were many languages before the Tower of Babel.
GE 11:1 There was only one language before the Tower of Babel.

The list goes on and on and on...

Edited by AKSE (03/01/09 08:39 PM)

Offlinesandman_130
Male User Gallery

Re: Religion... [Re: AKSE]
    #9892855 - 03/01/09 08:41 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

You think God is going to explain the big bang theory to Mankind 5000 years ago??

How could their minds comprehend that? Let alone write it down.

You don't understand the following stories either....

God did that to Cain to test his judgement, anger, and what mankind is actually capable of.

God asked Cain to see if he would lie.

Yes many men wrote the Bible, and yes some are prophets. The bible isn't 100% accurate, their is no way it could be.

Their is truth to it, many authors wrote about Jesus, yet all his words and parables have the same feel to them.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
    #9892909 - 03/01/09 08:49 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

sandman_130 said:
You think God is going to explain the big bang theory to Mankind 5000 years ago??

How could their minds comprehend that? Let alone write it down.

You're right, maybe they needed some more time to evolve. :wink:

I see you could only try and rebut one of the many inconsistancies I posted.  I can post hundreds more if you'de like.

Right...so god didn't want to explain the big-bang theory...instead he thought it would be a better idea to make up a ficticious book full of inconsistancies.:rolleyes:  Anyways, Jesus was based from the god Horus, and many other gods that shared the same similarities, which all came from astrology...nothing more.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #9892924 - 03/01/09 08:52 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

The bottom of this debate is that Religions, major or otherwise, fulfill a need that people will always have: to understand the things that rationale hasn't explained yet. They are not absolute truth, and anyone that tells you they are is speaking for their own motives.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Offlinesandman_130
Male User Gallery

#9892954 - 03/01/09 08:55 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

lol your assuming I don't believe in evolution.

I don't believe God made man out of dirt, whats the fun in that? If I couldn't die and had to live forever I think evolution would be a great hobby.

Almost all religions are tied to eachother in one way or another, some with huge similarities like you mention.

But an atheist sees that as evidence that they are all just copying eachother.

I see it as evidence that their is only one true God, and this God has no true religion. Only many man-made ones trying to explain what little they actually know.

--------------------

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
    #9893112 - 03/01/09 09:14 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

NO NO and NO

Religion is fake, a great big fairytale to control suckers.

Go study the stars and the Universe.

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
    #9893123 - 03/01/09 09:15 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

sandman_130 said:
I understand that all atheists have been educated on all religious matters and have come to the conclusion that all are bullshit. The vast majority of the people on the planet are dumb and insecure so the believe in God to feel better about death.

Or maybe the atheists are the insecure ones with the "holier than thou" attitudes. Who aren't educated on the matter and do what their subconscious tells them to do. The same thing Satanist's are supposed to do.

Either way I find it annoying that any thread about religion or God can go about 2 hours before being bombarded by gun-ho atheists who are trying to push "Their UN-belief" on anyone who has questions regarding faith or religion.

To the OP, I have my own beliefs, but I am very fascinated by all religions. It doesn't hurt to learn something new. Just don't do it to make your father happy. He sounds like a catholic, IMO. If you have your goals in life for college and have time to take a religious course I say go for it.

If not you can always learn at you own level, and explore which religions or beliefs you choose.

That would be me.

--------------------

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Religion... [Re: lukeboots]
    #9893240 - 03/01/09 09:32 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

As seen in this thread, religion causes chaos where otherwise we would be peaceful.

Believe in god if you want to, but as far as i can tell no one is answering prayers.

I know there is a god, but I'm not fucked up enough to read the bible and then want to pray to and worship such a fucked up blood god like that.

God is great to me because god created everything, then let everything be to work itself out. When i die i am not worried because no matter what i am leading a good life. I do my damnedest to be excellent to everyone and everything. If living my life honest and good isn't good enough for god, then i don't want to have anything to do with a god like that.

I'll leave you with all of my favorite quotes. Oddly they are all by Robert Heinlein lol.

"Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."

"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child."

"I've never understood how God could expect His creatures to pick the one true religion by faith - it strikes me as a sloppy way to run a universe"

"The great trouble with religion - ANY religion - is that a religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence."

"History does not record anywhere or at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it."

-Robert Heinlein

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Religion... [Re: Kada]
    #9893286 - 03/01/09 09:40 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

The only thing that interests me about religion is the ritual and fellow believers.

For example Hindu mantras can really cheer me up and make me feel at peace. And I bet it would be fun as hell to have a Bar/Bat Mitzvah and chill out with family during Passover eating good leftover casseroles.

But to force an actual belief in that shit is a no-no. Unless you really feel that you believe in those things. Then that's fine but you need to feel an inspiration and not just "Oh I like this so maybe I should be this"

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Offline49colors
strangerthanyou
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Religion... [Re: PyroBurns]
    #9893296 - 03/01/09 09:43 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

religion is outside the heart

spirituality and knowledge lie inside.

not to say anything outside the heart isnt worthwile ...

--------------------
:My trade list:

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Religion... [Re: Kada]
    #9893595 - 03/01/09 10:19 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Kada said:
As seen in this thread, religion causes chaos where otherwise we would be peaceful.

Believe in god if you want to, but as far as i can tell no one is answering prayers.

I know there is a god, but I'm not fucked up enough to read the bible and then want to pray to and worship such a fucked up blood god like that.

God is great to me because god created everything, then let everything be to work itself out. When i die i am not worried because no matter what i am leading a good life. I do my damnedest to be excellent to everyone and everything. If living my life honest and good isn't good enough for god, then i don't want to have anything to do with a god like that.

I'll leave you with all of my favorite quotes. Oddly they are all by Robert Heinlein lol.

"Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."

"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child."

"I've never understood how God could expect His creatures to pick the one true religion by faith - it strikes me as a sloppy way to run a universe"

"The great trouble with religion - ANY religion - is that a religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence."

"History does not record anywhere or at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it."

-Robert Heinlein

good points / good quotes

by your definition (and by robert heinlein) i am a sinner. i personally believe that heaven and hell are mindstates, and that by sinning, you put yourself in a personal hell. the kingdom of god is on earth, and it is yours if you want it. as a sinner who has done horrible things, i love the christian idea of forgiveness. i hope others would forgive me for the shit i've done wrong in the past, just like i hope i would do for them. but i'm not really a "christian" by anyone's standards. whatever. religious ideas aren't all bad - organizing religion and using it to promote certain standards (moral/political/whatever - or to promote a product, or a personal/group gain, or as a reason to destroy/go to war/kill, etc) -- thats the bad part.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Religion... [Re: lukeboots]
    #9893700 - 03/01/09 10:31 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
Quote:

Kada said:

-Robert Heinlein

good points / good quotes

by your definition (and by robert heinlein) i am a sinner. i personally believe that heaven and hell are mindstates, and that by sinning, you put yourself in a personal hell. the kingdom of god is on earth, and it is yours if you want it. as a sinner who has done horrible things, i love the christian idea of forgiveness. i hope others would forgive me for the shit i've done wrong in the past, just like i hope i would do for them. but i'm not really a "christian" by anyone's standards. whatever. religious ideas aren't all bad - organizing religion and using it to promote certain standards (moral/political/whatever - or to promote a product, or a personal/group gain, or as a reason to destroy/go to war/kill, etc) -- thats the bad part.

I agree with everything you said as well

Everyone has hurt someone in their past weather intentional or not. It happens because we are not perfect. All you can do is learn from your mistakes and be the best person you can be now. If people in your past wont forgive you for something, it is still important that you forgive yourself.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom