Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuben
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

Strange dots.
    #9835301 - 02/20/09 07:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have been looking for two hours on shroomery thus far without seeing anything similar threds, anyhow I have some dark spots on the bottom of my jar and it make me afraid.

Pictures are not great I know, they are taken with my phone, but I try to explaind, they look like small bits, like small black sand grains on the bottom of the jar with bit of brown discoloration around them.

I saw those dots two days ago, they do not seem to grow, and jar does not smell, atleast I dont feel anything yet.

On one place where the spot is small, mycelium grew right over it, on another place where "grain" and brown discoloration is larger mycelium grew around it. Firs time i noticed those spots was when mycelium started spreading to the bottom.

Another thing that might be worth to mention is that I have no PC so i cooked them in regular saucepan for one hour, but this jar fell off my elevation above water and was cooked standing on the bottom.

This is my first try and thus far it doesnt look good =/

I had four jars, one was steralized in microwave oven, and nothing grows there, not even mold.

Second was enaculated by dropping spores (in case syringe was contaminated), and and nothing happened.

Third was enaculated with syringe i made from spore print but got contaminated with green mold over night, two weaks in and almoast fully colonized.

And this one also enaculated with home made syringe from spores is my last hope.

Is this contamination, or perhapps just burned vermiculite or something? An if it is contaminated can I cut the top off when the time comes or is there no hope for me?

Edited by Buben (02/20/09 08:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: Strange dots. [Re: Buben]
    #9836914 - 02/21/09 02:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've had those rust colored spots many of times never affected anything. dunno for sure if it was the same as ur spots but eh

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

OfflineBuben
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

Re: Strange dots. [Re: madwire3]
    #9848292 - 02/23/09 01:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks madwire3, hope that's what I have.

Uppdate 4 days later.

Dots did not got larger or increase in numbers, mycelium did grow over the brown discolloration around some dots but not over black dots themselves, and in one place where there are two black dots close to each other mycelium does not grow over the larger discoloration that is formed from dots being closer to each other.

Jar does not seem to smell.

I am leaning towards growing from this cake when it is doen, but I am still worried.

--------------------
My blog with thoughts I get.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drugs are paradoxical, you think you can solve all the worlds problems with philosophy, but if you drop a coin you will never fucking find it.

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9848318 - 02/23/09 01:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

when I had weird spots I fruited the cake into a two liter bottle to isolate it from the rest of my grow... did fine and didn't kill me

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Strange dots. [Re: madwire3]
    #9848381 - 02/23/09 02:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If they are rust coulor it may be metabolites. I had them in my agar. Except on shiitake mycelium it was dark red, almost blood coulored.

Black, I'm not so sure about.

OfflineBuben
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

Re: Strange dots. [Re: Shroominit]
    #9849308 - 02/23/09 10:21 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys, ye I think its ok, it certainly does not match any mold or bacterial infection that I red about. I will make a closer inspection when I take the cake out of the jar, try to remove one dot with a clean knife to see what is under, I estimate about 3-4 days untill it is fully collonized.

There is no risk of contamination to other jars because this is the only one I have, since one got green mold on it, nothing grows in the one i steralized in microwave oven, and the one I just dropped dry spores in did not start either... :frown:

--------------------

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drugs are paradoxical, you think you can solve all the worlds problems with philosophy, but if you drop a coin you will never fucking find it.

OfflineBuben
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

#9882565 - 02/28/09 06:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I figured that the black dots are probably burned vermiculite since the jar was standing directly on the bottom of the pot during steralization.

But sill three week later there are small patches about 3mm around two dots on which no mycelium grow. But neiter does thos patches get larger.

Question is now, is it possible to have bacterial infection (or any other contamination) that does not grow over time? And is it dangerous?

--------------------

OfflineBuben
Hobbyist
 User Gallery

#9890381 - 03/01/09 01:42 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

Mystery is now solved, today I took the cake out and thos black dots with bworown discoloration was burned vermiculite and rice flour since the cake was standing directly on the bottom of the pot.

It smells fresh mushrooms and there are healthy myselium all around.

Unfortunatly all good jars failed because I experimented and one fell to green mold, so this was the only sucsess in a straight jar (or thats what I thought, I noticed now the enge on the bottom of the jar was slightly wider =( ), so it took me 20 minutes to get the cake out :blush: I even tried to break the jar, but it was made of bullet proof glass or something and I had no hammer, so I used a knife to get the cake out by putting the knife between cake and glass and push so it got somewhat smaller...

Hope I did't harm mycelium too much in the process....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag