Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Lets talk reptiles!
    #9886935 - 02/28/09 09:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, Earlier this week i got a water dragon. My small 10 gallon aquarium quickly turned into a full blown 55 gallon with an amazing setup in a matter of days purely for this guy. I noticed a lot of other people on here had lizards as well but i didnt pay much attention cause i was never really interested until i came upon this guy. I traded a local guy on craigslist some car audio equipment for the tank and stand, it was used for a saltwater tank and was pretty damn nasty when i got it, but after a full day of scrubbing and setting everything up i think it looks awesome in my livingroom.Heres some pictures of my tank and some closeups of my newest family member.

Does anyone else have a waterdragon? He looks like he is browner than he was and i was getting kinda worried cause he is small and new to me but he has been eating fine and i just got all these good lights and stuff for him now so im hoping he likes his new home and brightens up.

Pictures(i bought my girlfriend that new nikon coolpix s60 for xmas so finally found a good use for those 10megapixels):

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

My Growlog with Redboy,Amazon,and Brazilian

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesam420
CertifiedReptilianOverlord
 User Gallery

Loc: Scotland
Re: Lets talk reptiles! [Re: xswaveyx]
    #9886942 - 02/28/09 09:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

primeval

--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

OfflineYour Destination
Stranger-than-you
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Lets talk reptiles! [Re: sam420]
    #9886951 - 02/28/09 09:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I fear reptiles.
Particularly our reptilian over-lords.

--------------------

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9886952 - 02/28/09 09:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sam420 said:
primeval

What?

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

Offlinesam420
CertifiedReptilianOverlord
 User Gallery

Loc: Scotland
    #9886968 - 02/28/09 09:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

xswaveyx said:
Quote:

sam420 said:
primeval

What?

i'm fucked ignore me :thumbup:

--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future

Offlineallhallows
4th dimensionexplorer
Male

Loc: NJ
    #9887029 - 02/28/09 09:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've had a shit ton of reptiles in my life. My favorite so far was my snapping turtle. I found him just breaking out of his egg, and I kept him until he out grew my 100 gallon tank. He was a beast that devoured 2 dozen gold fish in the matter of minutes.

I wish I can get another, but they get too big too fast.

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Re: Lets talk reptiles! [Re: allhallows]
    #9887140 - 02/28/09 09:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I saw other people on here talkin bout iquanas n whatnot, i assumed i would have more people in this topic. Im lookin for a good forum where people are knowledgeable with water dragons like mine.I think he is lookin kinda brown.

--------------------

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
    #9887170 - 02/28/09 09:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Dude I'm so jealous!

Reptiles and cats are my favorite groups of animals!

You deserve 5 shrooms!

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

Offlineboletusoftruth
Psychedelic Funk
Male

Loc: MASS
    #9887181 - 02/28/09 09:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

xswaveyx said:
I saw other people on here talkin bout iquanas n whatnot, i assumed i would have more people in this topic. Im lookin for a good forum where people are knowledgeable with water dragons like mine.I think he is lookin kinda brown.

Gumby knows his shit :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Re: Lets talk reptiles! [Re: hpi]
    #9887227 - 02/28/09 10:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hpi said:
Dude I'm so jealous!

Reptiles and cats are my favorite groups of animals!

You deserve 5 shrooms!

Awesome! haha thanks man

Quote:

boletusoftruth said:
Gumby knows his shit :thumbup:

yeahhh thats who was talkin about it last time! Where is his ass at...

--------------------

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9887312 - 02/28/09 10:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So...to anyone who owns these guys or any dragon... i mixed up some coir/verm and put it in a small dish inside my cage i have for crickets...i read that if you leave soil in there for 2-3 days that they will lay eggs, then i can cap it...and they will hatch. So i figuired they would love the coir and put some in today to try it.Would be cool if i could do that when my supply starts to get low so i dont have to keep buying them

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9887443 - 02/28/09 10:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Nice water dragon man. That's one that I've never kept before. We had a guy here about 6 years ago who had a big water dragon. I've always wanted to keep a plumed basilisk, which are very similar to the water dragons.

Some tips I can give you on these guys... You did a great job with getting a bunch of limbs for climbing. I'd definitely some more greenery to the tank, these guys come from jungles. Go for artificial plants. They don't have to be the ones from pet stores, you can get them at arts and crafts stores, just wash them first.

Another tip would be be get a bigger waterbowl. This guys spend a lot of time in water.

Also, keep an eye out for the guy rubbing his nose raw. I can't even tell you how notorious these guys are for doing that. This website recommends using an enclosure with nontransparent sides. I've had the same problem with retarded fish, so I spray painted the sides of the tank black (makes the colors stand out more anyway).

Lastly, I'd pick up some calcium dust or gutload for the crickets you're feeding him. These types of lizards tend to get calcium deficiencies which can cause deformities (happened to an iguana of mine).

You have any more pics of the dude's head from the side? I think I might see something funky going on with the scales near the back of his mouth.

You're gonna have a fun time with him though. Just make sure to handle it frequently so he doesn't claw and tail whip the shit out of you when you try to hold him. :thumbup::cool:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9887459 - 02/28/09 10:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I did the whole breeding crickets deal when I was keeping a tiny chameleon and some poison dart frogs that needed pinhead crickets. What I did was use moist peat moss. Then I got a bunch of mature crickets from the bait store and threw them in there. A few weeks later I had tiny ass 2mm long crickets.

BTW, the female crickets are the ones with that long black tail like thing. They use that thing to deposit their eggs in soil.

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Lets talk reptiles! [Re: Gumby]
    #9887492 - 02/28/09 10:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I used to let a 4 foot Iguana run lose in my house. I want a rattle snake so bad, luckily for me venomous snakes are legal in my state, I may actually just get one. Plenty of places to buy from on the net too, lol.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Lets talk reptiles! [Re: highdroponics]
    #9887630 - 02/28/09 11:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Granted, I've kept a venomous snake myself, but I'd say you're a fool to keep venomous snakes. I had a copperhead, which won't kill you in most cases. Even with a ton of experience in handling venomous snakes, most people who keep "hot" snakes end up getting bitten.

If you do decide to keep one, make sure that your local hospital has the type of antivenin needed to treat you, and get tested for horse allergies. Sounds weird I know, but antivenin is made in/by horses. Oh yeah, you'll need around $15,000 for the medical fees of treating a snake bite. And you might lose a limb, so when you get bitten pick the limb you use the least.

That said, there are some pretty cool rattlesnakes out there. My favorite American species is the pigmy rattler because of their coloration and small size. They also happen to be one of the most venomous rattlers.

There are a lot of venomous snakes that are a lot cooler in my opinion. They're also a lot more deadly.

Like these guys...

Horned viper:

Eyelash viper:

White-lipped tree viper:

Russell's viper:

Spectacle Cobra:

Albino monocled cobra:

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9887648 - 02/28/09 11:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Nice water dragon man. That's one that I've never kept before. We had a guy here about 6 years ago who had a big water dragon. I've always wanted to keep a plumed basilisk, which are very similar to the water dragons.

Some tips I can give you on these guys... You did a great job with getting a bunch of limbs for climbing. I'd definitely some more greenery to the tank, these guys come from jungles. Go for artificial plants. They don't have to be the ones from pet stores, you can get them at arts and crafts stores, just wash them first.

Another tip would be be get a bigger waterbowl. This guys spend a lot of time in water.

Also, keep an eye out for the guy rubbing his nose raw. I can't even tell you how notorious these guys are for doing that. This website recommends using an enclosure with nontransparent sides. I've had the same problem with retarded fish, so I spray painted the sides of the tank black (makes the colors stand out more anyway).

Lastly, I'd pick up some calcium dust or gutload for the crickets you're feeding him. These types of lizards tend to get calcium deficiencies which can cause deformities (happened to an iguana of mine).

You have any more pics of the dude's head from the side? I think I might see something funky going on with the scales near the back of his mouth.

You're gonna have a fun time with him though. Just make sure to handle it frequently so he doesn't claw and tail whip the shit out of you when you try to hold him. :thumbup::cool:

Id love to get him plants but didnt know what to get or where to get it.They would keep humidity up.I was going to get a fogger but if i can find some plants maybe they will be enough.We actually went out today and bought more stuff...a bigger water bowl(the picture of tank is from yesterday)...i also put a bubbler rock in the water dish to keep the water moving.Also bought treatment for his water.Then, i got the gel shit for the crickets so they dont need a sponge,it says its good for gutloading, i also have the calcium food in there for them to eat and gutload, and then i bought the powder today so i can powder them before i feed him.So... that parts covered.I read about them rubbing their nose raw, and saw him doing that in the smaller tank, but now that he is in a much bigger tank he seems to enjoy just relaxing and laying out instead of digging the shit out of a 10 gallon tank(all i had for 2 days). I was thinking of making the bottom 2" of the entire tank opaque, so he would get used to it being a wall and not need anything more than that...but i dont know what to use.I wanted something slightly transparent so it doesnt look stupid in the tank...since i think the tank is setup awesome right now.

Heres some pictures from the side, i also noticed that part of his jaw... it looks kinda bloody/scabby on the right side more then the left.I dont know what it is... but i can definently get a closeup picture of both sides tomorrow when he is awake.

--------------------

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9887669 - 02/28/09 11:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Oh and the branches inside of the terrarium are actually grape vines that have been sandblasted.... they look awesome.i have another big branch that splits both ways and takes up the other half of the tank but its too steep of an angle for him to even use it so i just left it out.I think the way i put all of them together is nice, i took that picture thismorning of him sitting ontop of the one log i laid down sideways, thats the closest spot he can get to his basking light, the end of that branch should be the hottest spot so im glad he likes it.

And i havent had any problems feeding him...other than the fact that i havent seen him eat unless i hand feed it to him myself.if i hold one out infront of him, he will wait until it kicks, then he will eat out of my hand.But if i just drop one in, he will just watch it until it eventually hides and doesnt appear again.I watched him jump off his branch after one thismorning,he dropped right down onto it but didnt catch it,and wasnt that determined to attack it, once it got away he kinda just let it go.

--------------------

Edited by xswaveyx (03/01/09 12:07 AM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9887797 - 03/01/09 12:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. If you want live plants that will keep the humidity up, check into getting a Pothos vine. They grow like crazy, are very hardy, and can be bought just about everywhere that sells plants.

Unfortunately my veterinary knowledge of reptiles isn't so great. I'd keep an eye on that lip. I've heard you can use neosporin on reptiles but I've never done it and wouldn't use it on a reptile's mouth. I would say have a vet look at it but finding herp vets can be tough and expensive. Maybe he just accidentally ate some bark and banged up his lip or something? :shrug:

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9887820 - 03/01/09 12:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I tried to handle him, he got pretty squirly when i finally got him off the ground cause hes so small and hard to pick up.Im not sure if he nabbed at me once or not, he moved like he did and i thought i felt a tug but just left him alone.His color is kinda scaring me, he should be more green than he is, although i hope with his new diet and smaller crickets he will look better. I want to be able to handle him, but dont really know how to approach him.He is so small and fragile and i get tense when i try to hold him cause im not sure if he wants me to or not.I dont want him to be scared of me.Is he just too small to understand?I think im gonna let him get used to his new environment for awhile and enjoy it then maybe he will come around after i hand feed him more.He seems to enjoy when i rub the back of his head and back,i have done that four or five times without spooking him.

Everyone says take him to the vet.But im just not down for that honestly.I dont think he will die from a lip injury? His nose looks like its fine to me, although i watched him on the glass a couple times.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9887845 - 03/01/09 12:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I'd give him a week or two to get settled in to the new home and then hold him. He's not gonna like it at first and he will squirm and try to get away, but he'll get used to it after a while. He may try to bite (if he does it won't hurt, he's small), scratch, and tail whip. Just keep holding him till he calms down. Obviously, use a little force possible and don't crab him by the tail :lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds