Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Loc: Middle America
rye berry jars no white stuff?
    #985320 - 10/22/02 11:39 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

my friend just tried to grow mushrooms with rye berries and a little bit of flax seed. he used and average amount of water, all product were organic and he also has a pressure cooker. this was the first time he has not used verm and BRF but the results are not as good. does the myc look different in rye berries? does it take longer? I have not seen any real visible sign of growth what should I look for with rye and flax? my friend is not exactly a complete newbie he has been growing for a little over a year and has had decent success with verm and brf. any body want to respond?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: ehud] * 1
    #985417 - 10/23/02 12:09 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

A number of things could have gone wrong, and you provide very little useful information. I recommend simmering the grain for 30 minutes. Rinse the grain and then strain off the excess water -- I usually let it sit for another 30 minutes. Pack your jars, then PC for 1 hour @ 15 lbs. Innoculate like anything else.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #988082 - 10/23/02 10:39 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well I didn't rinse the grain off oops. I did pressure cook the jars and inoculate like normal. It seems like there is kind of a sticky substance in all the jars yet I dont believe it is contaminate. Maybe I used to much water? It just seems hard to believe that all 12 jars would not show even a speck of white just from a slight water problem or even that I didn't rinse the rye off. Im baffeled I got the syringe from PF and have never had problems. Basicaly there is moist rye and flax seed in 12 jars with perfectly good spores squirted in. And not shit going on! I will keep updated with the gooy substance, but I think it is just rye sticking together. Thanks for the advice though, I amy have to just go back to BRF/VERM.

p.s. I used 50/50 water rye

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: ehud]
    #988501 - 10/24/02 01:00 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: ]
    #992384 - 10/25/02 11:30 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ok went ahead and put several jars on my heater, should be able to get them up to temp.  Im up in PA and the temp is dropping fast here, I'll keep you all up to date.  So far still no sign (no cotam either).  Do I have to keep them as warm even after the myc starts to grow?  Thanks for the help guys  :cool:

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: ehud]
    #992758 - 10/25/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

What strain is it? PF, or something different?

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #992804 - 10/25/02 02:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yea it is PF in some jars and treasure coast in others

Edited by ehud (10/25/02 02:26 PM)

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
    #999597 - 10/28/02 10:00 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ok this is bull shit! I am not getting anything.  I put them near my heater to keep them at 85.  Still no sign.  I simmered the rye before I used it.  It was fully saturated and not at all dry with no excess water. Still no sign!  The spores should be perfect b/c i used a syringe that had given me success b4 just to see if it was the spores. STILL no sign.  I has been over a week  :confused: i am begining to think that shrooms just wont grow on rye or this fucked up health store sold me non-organic rye eventhough they were labled organicly growned? hmmm that is pretty shady but it is the only thing I can think of.  Has this ever happend to anybody? am I unlucky?  I wasted a syringe and a half on these jars now what.  Man should have just stuck to what works. 

Edited by ehud (10/28/02 10:02 AM)

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: ehud]
    #999685 - 10/28/02 10:31 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: matts]
    #999765 - 10/28/02 11:04 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

One uses rye and has very few problems with it. One has used many types of grain and rye seems to be the best as far as potency, speed of germination, and just kinda sexy. One thinks that you have way too much water. Smell the jars. If they smell like the worst stinky feet you ever had then you have fallen victim to bacteria. One has found the best way to do rye is to rinse it well, soak/simmer (either one is fine, it's just getting the right moisture balance) until the berries are swollen with water but not expliding with it. One tends to try to have just a bit too much water because One adds enough vermiculite to the berries to absorb any extra water. Enough verm is added to just lightly cover the rye. It works quite well and if the rye starts to need more moisture it will suck it up from the verm. The verm also helps it stay very shakable. One might suggest playing with a few cups of rye and just seeing at which point the rye berries start to bust open. Step back just a bit from that point with the moisture. Even a few busted ones are ok.

One has also noticed that bacteria tends to like things a bit warmer. Putting your jars on a heater does not seem like a good way to go. First, if the heater is saying it's like 85 then that is only the temp of the heater. It says nothing about the temp of the jar. Also, you could have a very hot bottom of a jar and that would kill the myc and help the bacteria. It is the suggestion of many that you should make yourself an incubator. Start surfing the second hand stores for a cooler. Then get yourself a fish tank heater and then look up the teks for incubators. They will keep your temps uniform. One seldom uses an incubator anymore since rye seems to do just fine without it. One gets 100% colinization in a week.

Hope that helps...

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Edited by upupup (10/28/02 11:12 AM)

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: upupup]
    #999848 - 10/28/02 11:45 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

stinkyness  :frown: boo hoo.  everything is stinky.  STINKY STINKY STINKY!  should one try it again? :ooo:  I did not use verm this time I will.  Thanks for the help

Edited by ehud (10/28/02 11:59 AM)

Offlineehud
Rocket Scientist
Re: rye berry jars no white stuff? [Re: upupup]
    #1019446 - 11/03/02 09:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

ok.  All I have to say is "shit". :frown: 
My buddy re-tried the rye berries.  She simmered the rye in water for about 30 min then drain off all the excess water.  Then added a little bit of vermiculite to lightly dust the rye.  The rye was Moist with vermiculite around it to hold in the moisture.  There was also more rye than vermiculite in the mixture I would say about 2 to 1.  Pressure cooked cooled yadda yadda yadda...  well at the same time she mixed up a little batch of BRF/VERM three cakes to be exact. 
I bet you can guess what happened six days later... BRF has nice little spots of myc in them.  Rye berries have NADDA!  I would have to say that given the 18 jars worth of trying with this rye there has to be somthing wrong.  All I can assume is that the rye has some sort of fungaside in it and that contrary to what the package says is in fact NOT  completly organic.  I GOT SCREWED! 
But what does one do now? take the bag back and be like "hey I tried to grow mushrooms with your rye and it didn't work." :mad:  The place is kinda of a small hippy shop with all kinds of quack herbs and fake medicine like seaweed and shit.  The rye package was held together with a twisty and only had the store's sticker on it with weight and price.

I dunno guys it really is a kick in the balls  I am not messing up, I have tried several combinations of water and verm with no luck.  I cant imagine the rye jars taking longer than the BRF jars.  Would they?  All I ever see is stories about rye jars that start to show within four days and completly colonise in a week and a half. 
what the fuck.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1019742 - 11/03/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't worked with rye, but I've done a couple of birdseed jars, and they take much longer to germinate than BRF cakes do. Just relax, and once they germinate you will see why everyone praises grain.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Michigan
    #1019849 - 11/04/02 12:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Quart Jars for Retards.
This tek has helped me a lot with grains.

--------------------
People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

Offlinekhines72
Stranger
Male

#11157337 - 09/30/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Can I first start off with this?  YOU ARE A IDIOT!! Im sick of hearing you first start off with "my friend did this" Then you slipped up & said "I did this" Now your back to "My buddy and she did this"... Just stop!! Its obvious you have 0 clue of what your doing, and even less of a clue of how to go about doing it. My 1st advice would be, to be very honest & exact about what "YOU" HAVE TRIED to use, and how "YOU" did it. I MEAN EXACT!! Thats the only way you will know how you messed up... My second advice would be, for you to just buy them from "real growers" that know what they are doing... This way your dumbass wont be in a cell, because of all the drawing attention to yourself cause your running around town like a idiot asking store vendors "why the stuff you bought at their store wont work to grow shrooms!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates