Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCuriousDude88
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Newbie Needs Your Help
    #9859963 - 02/24/09 11:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So im a total newbie and here is my plan so far after doing some reading...still havent gotten it totally down but thats where you come in.

Gonna start off with Pf Tek in jars...once colonized (Im kinda wanting to 50 % colonize cuz im kinda in a hurry for this) I want to use my 55 gallon see through sterilite container as the fruiting chamber.

I need some help in figuring out what im gonna use as spawn substrate..I read some coir teks and that seems pretty good...what do I need to buy and does anyone have any thread suggestions that have good tips?

I want to do the 50/50 casing tek as well

I don't have very good ideas on the additives to add to the substrate/casing

im gonna have a ph tester from lowes, nothing electric just stick it in and take a reading after 60 seconds, what is the optimal ph???

I have a cool mist humidifier that I want to modify using a garden hose leading directly into the tub for added humidification,  sound good? Should I just leave this step out cuz I read that once a monotub is constructed there is no need for anything extra

Im sure im leaving something out,  anyone wanna point me in the right direction.  Im sick and its frustrating reading for hours with many questions and time is going by.  Just got my penis envy and its still sitting in the fridge in the syringe and I wanna do this within a few days.

I also need tips on materials and good stores to get them from...Lowes? Mayo?

Any help is appreciated and happy shrooming :thumbup:

--------------------
Anything I say is creatively and totally fictional.  :laugh: :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: CuriousDude88]
    #9860081 - 02/24/09 11:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

IF YOU CANNOT BE PATIENT THEN THIS HOBBY IS NOT FOR YOU.
You must colonize PF Tek cakes 100% and then wait a week or two, otherwise your wasting your time. The whole casing thing is a totally different tek unless your crumbling your cakes to make the casing which does produce a lesser yield compared to rye as spawn. I would just go with a straight PF TEK grow and get a hang of this, then move to the harder shit.PH does not matter for this stuff unless well, I have never had to account for pH except with rye but thats for a later discussion. Unless you have like 150 cakes, 55gal is a little to big. Watch the How to Grow Mushrooms Video on Youtubue with Rodger Rabbit and follow everything he does, you got way ahead of yourself, slow down.

--------------------

You will be missed

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
    #9860100 - 02/24/09 11:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

As said above you must have 100% colonization, no exceptions.
Crumbling cakes, adding to bulk substrate and casing them will only add more time, best to just fruit the cakes.

Search dunk and roll it will be best for you cakes.

Offlineatm11
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #9860105 - 02/24/09 11:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah u have to wait for 100% colonized no questions asked. and the youtube movies that - theshroomjew23- suggested is a legit movie, def worth of a watch.

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: atm11]
    #9860131 - 02/24/09 11:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Never mind youtube go straight  to the source MushroomVideos lots of info on the site to help you out from start to finish.

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: atm11]
    #9860133 - 02/24/09 11:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

5 posts away from 1000 mutha fuckas. I was just like you at one time CuriousDude88, but then I started actually growing them and using them and my whole view changed on life and shrooms. If you think being patient can't be fun then why would I stick around to get 1,000 posts or the people with like 25,000.

--------------------

You will be missed

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
    #9860187 - 02/24/09 11:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The fool speaks, the wise man listens.

Congratulations on you 1000 posts.

OfflineCuriousDude88
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: Icky]
    #9860261 - 02/25/09 12:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Alright thanks for the advice I will colonize 100% and just stick with fruiting the cakes by themselves...

If I do a liquid culture would this allow me to turn my 10 ml syringe into a bigger syringe in order to inoculate more jars...I was gonna start off with 6 or so but i'd like a better yield so i'd like to start off with more jars to begin with...

I guess this leads me to colonizing the jars fully before birthing them on lids, on a layer of perlite inside my 55 gal sterilite tub...

How much perlite should be used for this?

Also can I still incorporate the cool mist humidifier into this whole setup?

How long should I expect this to take from start to finish assuming I colonize 100% and do everything patiently?  How about the monotub tek?

Once again thanks for your help, happy shrooming :grin:

--------------------

OfflineCuriousDude88
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #9860277 - 02/25/09 12:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Also I made a big mistake on the sterilite tub size its 58 quarts, standard storage tub size...stupid me don't know where I got 55 gallons from thats insane :crazy2:

so 58 quarts!!!

sorry for the confusion

--------------------

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#9860334 - 02/25/09 12:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Just put like 4-5in of perlite on the bottom, you need like 2in around each cake so do the math. LC is a little tricky if you don't know what mycelium looks like up close. 1 syringe can make 10 jars, but you can also colonize a jar and then inject water into the jar and extract it, i.e simple LC but that will double your time. PM me and I will help you out.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9860840 - 02/25/09 03:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Dont bother with the LC right now, spores to LC are a crapshoot. You dont know what you have until you use your LC on substrate. Its annoying to waiste 2 weeks colinising an LC to find out its contaminated.

Concentrate on your cakes just now. For your terrarium, the pf tek videos that were linked show you everything from start to finish, including your terrariumd construction.

Dont bother with modifying a humidifier to pump in rh, which can burn out your humidifier. Perlite in a shotgun FC built as the tek shows will give you mid to upper 90% rh.

Remember that you can make your own spore prints, 1 cake can potentially produce many mushrooms and even just 1 print will make many syringes.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineBlazedChillin
Strange one
Male

Loc: The right side
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9860906 - 02/25/09 04:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

All those guys up there ^^^ know better than me. But if I were you I would start off with 8 pf jars and 2 LC's off of the syringe. That way IF the LC's work for you, you can start again if you screw up on the cakes.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: BlazedChillin]
    #9861576 - 02/25/09 09:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

^ Where do you get off recommending multispore LC:s for a newbie...

Learn printing, learn syringemaking, learn sterile procedure & LC cloning (preferably in that order) and you won't need to worry about "extending" your syringes ever again.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: BlazedChillin]
    #9861638 - 02/25/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BlazedChillin said:
All those guys up there ^^^ know better than me. But if I were you I would start off with 8 pf jars and 2 LC's off of the syringe. That way IF the LC's work for you, you can start again if you screw up on the cakes.

I actually agree with him, its so easy to make an LC why not take a shot and use a CC to make one? If it works, great, if not now you have more experience.

And veda it doesn't always take 2 weeks to find out if an LC is contamed. My first LC I ever did colonized and was ready to use in 4 days.

--------------------
If I had a shotgun, you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you.
Because the bars are always open, and the time is always right, and if God's good word goes unspoken the music goes all night.

OfflineCuriousDude88
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: NYGiants420]
    #9864127 - 02/25/09 04:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Appreciate the advice from you all.  I will stick to using a layer of perlite and no humidifier yet at this point. 

I'm gonna watch as many pf tek videos as I can tonite, research more of what materials I need, and get the show on the roll soon!!

Anyone suggest I do a grow log?  Would any of you all follow?

--------------------

OfflineBlazedChillin
Strange one
Male

Loc: The right side
Re: Newbie Needs Your Help [Re: dead]
    #9867801 - 02/26/09 04:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dead said:
^ Where do you get off recommending multispore LC:s for a newbie...

Learn printing, learn syringemaking, learn sterile procedure & LC cloning (preferably in that order) and you won't need to worry about "extending" your syringes ever again.

Its what I did on my first grow and I have 2 successful LC's in my fridge and 1 cake grow and a monotub all off of 1 syringe.

Like i said y'all know more than me but why not make it stretch if you can?

God people get soo pissy over stupid shit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate