Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Epigallo]
    #9866992 - 02/25/09 11:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bradley said:
How much can the ego really expand? I've never understood that term.

It can be more efficient at doing things, I suppose.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Poid]
    #9867010 - 02/25/09 11:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So you feel the path to becoming a wise man is to speak out of boredom?

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Icky]
    #9867027 - 02/25/09 11:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Are you saying that my contributions are largely pointless? Whether or not I'm bored is of no matter. :tongue:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
    #9867045 - 02/25/09 11:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I never once mentioned your contributions just ask for clarity on what you have contributed.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9867142 - 02/25/09 11:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You can find out for yourself. I have made a couple of serious posts/threads here, not that I've already "paid my dues", but it's not like I'm here just to mess around, either.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
    #9867196 - 02/26/09 12:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I just want to get this straight, you feel gaining knowledge is boring?

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9867370 - 02/26/09 12:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

When did I say I was bored? Does one seek entertainment only when they're bored?

And no.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #9867469 - 02/26/09 01:12 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
A lot of people find P&S boring now because of the abundance of rational skepticism

I wondered about that. I remember when there was very little rationality in this forum (when I first joined). Now it's much more sedate, though I've been having some very nice discussions here lately.

Every now and then we get someone new start stirring things up, which is always fun. Remember that guy who accused us of not having used mushrooms? Oh wait, he's still around :grin:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Edited by zouden (02/26/09 01:18 AM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: zouden]
    #9867482 - 02/26/09 01:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, there was much rationale behind that accusation! :shakefist:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: zouden]
    #9867485 - 02/26/09 01:23 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
A lot of people find P&S boring now because of the abundance of rational skepticism

Every now and then we get someone new start stirring things up, which is always fun. Remember that guy who accused us of not having used mushrooms? Oh wait, he's still around :grin:

Good times. :smirk:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#9867546 - 02/26/09 01:53 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bradley said:
Quote:

Rahz said:
I visit Steve Pavlinas site.

I read his stuff sometimes. His wife Erin, if a crook. She does "psychic readings" or something for like 800 bucks.

I guess that reflects on him... she better be really fuckin' good.

Either way, he's pretty intelligent, and seems to try to motivate people in meaningful ways.

There's a Buddhist temple near where I work. Wednesdays and Sundays, they have their Nissans, and Fords, and Toyotas in the parking lot. Little kids running around, older people walking calmly, bald heads and some robes going on. They have this concrete sculpture out front. From the road it looks like a blob of concrete but when you get close up, it's jagged mountains with these little 4 inch figurines of monks walking around. Inside through the glass doors is this ornate woodwork surrounding an alcove. To try and describe the woodwork would only do it injustice. It is one of the most artful, beautiful things I've ever seen aside from the female body. And in the center is the Buddha. They gather and do their thing and seem fairly happy about it. Not quite the image of a monk, walking on the lonely mountain. But I guess it's all there, if you look.

Family, and the mountain. Gurus aren't much help. People wanted to import the enlightenment, and a few gurus to take Jesus' place. They didn't exactly import the temples and monasteries.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #9870243 - 02/26/09 03:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The egoic perspective is the individual point of view, and one that values its experience as prior to, and more important than anyone else's. Therefore, the perspective is one-sidedly 'all about me,' even though there may well be awareness of everyone else around. There is a survival or 'reality principle' at bottom, but higher human development requires a transcendence of exclusive self-centeredness. The egoic-mind can attain to megalomania:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania ; which characterizes every tyrant, large or small, from a spoiled celebrity in the world of entertainment to a horrible dictator.

Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

Loc: Palnet Earth
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9870956 - 02/26/09 04:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
There used to be so many providing us with great entertainment and a plethora of books to make us feel left out of the cosmic game.

Have they all been replaced by fundies?

more like suppressed by fundies

--------------------
There is more joy in heaven over one of us perfected,
  than over ninety-nine naturally evolved angels.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: arainbow]
    #9873279 - 02/26/09 10:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The problem with gurus is that they are clearly in it for the money, or else they would band together and use tehir combined insight to surpass their individual limitations.

The world needs gurus, as mentors, but not as professionals

With the saturation of culture and ideas over the last 50 years, people have come to realise on the whole that there is no one 'correct' way to live life.. everyone has their own life with their own way of living. Gurus ride on the wave of optimisim which suggested that all of the answers were about to be found

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9874228 - 02/27/09 02:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

lol its been a while since i have seen one of my threads brought up

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9875352 - 02/27/09 09:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
The problem with gurus is that they are clearly in it for the money, or else they would band together and use tehir combined insight to surpass their individual limitations.

The world needs gurus, as mentors, but not as professionals

With the saturation of culture and ideas over the last 50 years, people have come to realise on the whole that there is no one 'correct' way to live life.. everyone has their own life with their own way of living. Gurus ride on the wave of optimisim which suggested that all of the answers were about to be found

Neat post.:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Icelander]
    #9876111 - 02/27/09 10:57 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

In this time of global economic crisis and depression, it is about time that a new wave of gurus arise from the ashes. I have my ochre robe (size: L) and beads on order. And I haven't shaved for a week. Now all I need is some remote community in the PNW...

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9876152 - 02/27/09 11:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I once had an opportunity to follow a guru.  There was some Natural Medicine Center in town that had free meditation nights.  I decided to check it out, and they all started talking about their guru, Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj.  I decided I didn't want to follow someone with that many syllables in their name.

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: What happened to all the gurus? [Re: Silversoul]
    #9876185 - 02/27/09 11:05 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I will just be called "Swam" or maybe just "S"...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder