Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKiada09
Stranger

A few questions before I make purchases
    #9861011 - 02/25/09 05:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with pre-sterlized substrate jars for the PF Tek? Just as a first time cost effective thing as opposed to forking out on everything straight off. With everything I was looking at for a full half-decent setup, it was going over £100 for all the little bits (aswell as big things, pressure cooker, humidifier etc.) - should I start small with these pre-sterilized jars and gradually build things up?

Also, can you reuse things?

Jars, Monotubs, Glove Boxes? If reusing jars is possible, thats another slight advantage of doing it this way first time.

Should you always have a humidifier in the room your innoculating to clean the air? (even if innocing in a sterile glove box?). The thing is, the only non-carpeted floor in the house (apart from the bathroom) is the kitchen (tiled) - but it has open carpeted stairs in aswell. How bad is this on a scale of 1-10?

I was thinking of doing the inoculation in the shaded corner under the stairs, would this be preferrable to using the breakfast bar bit that sticks out (bottom of the pic)? We also have a dog (whippet) is that going to be a big problem in terms of contamination? What would you suggest?

I realise to take it seriously Im going to need a pressure cooker, but itd make it easier on the pocket at the moment to skip that this time round. Also Im guessing if the jars are reusable, Ill need a pressure cooker to clean them anyways?

Does this pressure cooker look ok? click here

Does this humidifier look ok? click here

Where would you get a good alcohol lamp? Theres one for 25 euros on this sponsored site - would you get anything like it cheaper at say B&Q (UK) or what shops would sell them?

Sorry for all the inane questions, I just want to get this right (like everyone else!)

Thanks..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: Kiada09]
    #9861048 - 02/25/09 06:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The jars are reusable, and you dont need a pressure cooker for the PF Tek. In place of a pressure cooker, you can use a steaming pot with a tight lid, and steam the jars for 1.5 hours after you clean them, prepare the BRF mix, and fill the jars with the substrate. Although you could of course use the pressure cooker. You dont need to pressure cook the jars before you fill them. Just wash them out well.

You kitchen looks clean enough to utilize a glove box successfully. I think your breakfast bar would work well since it is further from all the cooking surfaces, where unwanted contams may grow.

Why do you need a humidifier if youre going for the PF tek? Just put about 4 or 5 inches of damp perlite in the bottom of your fruiting chamber. It will keep your humidity up well enough. You dont need a humidifier for inoculation anyways. The air that needs to be clean is the air inside your glovebox. You want still air in your glovebox, no air currents. I would clean the surrounding area with clorox and sanatize the air with lysol before doing inoculations just to be safe. And yes, gloveboxes, tubs, and jars are all useable.

Here is a great source for all your PF Tek questions. Follow the videos and you should succeed. If your using presterilized jars, then you can skip the beginning parts, but you will need them if you plan on reusing the jars. There are 4 videos.

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

Good luck!

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #9861058 - 02/25/09 06:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

For an alcohol lamp you can build one for like $1 :-D

Go buy a little jar of baby food and dump the food out and wash it out.
Alternative you can use any sort of little container, you can get creative. I used a jelly jar.

Poke a hole in the center of the jar and wad some paper towel in there or some old rag of some sort and pull up a little piece through the hole.

Then just fill it with alcohol, get de-natured alcohol solvent from a hardware store (paint section) it burns better then the medical stuff you get in the pharmacy.

As for your jars, I would recommend going with plastic. They're usually cheaper then glass and can cut a week or two off your colonization times.  Check the link in my signature for details.

The pressure cooker looks fine as far as I can tell and I don't know much about humidifiers but it looks good to me.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineMello KittyS
Beautiful Burnout
Female User Gallery

Loc: Sanriotown, Harmonyland
Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: Spongiform]
    #9861063 - 02/25/09 06:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

dont buy pre sterile, making the subs for the jars is much fun!

like baking a cake :heart:

--------------------

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
    #9861064 - 02/25/09 06:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

First off: don't buy pre-sterilized PF TEK jars. Go to store and buy a dozen wide mouth .5 pint (don't know your equivalent), Brown rice flour, and Vermiculite (fine grade-or order off the net). It will cost you $20US. You can boil sterilize them in any pot big enough to hold them. Yes, anything that you can sterilize you can reuse.
By a couple clear plastic totes/storage containers for your glove box and fruiting chamber (shotgun style for PF TEK)

Start there (+syinges) and work your way up. Get the hang of things and move on to more productive methods as your understanding increases.

Humidifiers don't clean the air, use a glove box.

My dogs are always at my feet, as long as GB is used should have no problems.

25euros for an alcohol lamp is ridiculous. Got mine for $6US.

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

OfflineKiada09
Stranger

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9861131 - 02/25/09 06:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks loads for the info - really appreciated. I'll no doubt have more questions in the near future, but this is fine for now cheers! :smile:

Offlinebrand0n
large jar mad man!!

#9861555 - 02/25/09 09:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

fuck buying jars, u can make them for far cheaper.
Buy a pressure cooker, best 40 bucks you'll spend.

--------------------
That did it! I am now the anti BRF CAKE! I have had enough! TO HELL WITH BRF! REAL MEN USE SEED! Go now brf younging. Get some seed. COME BACK A MAN!

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: brand0n]
    #9861594 - 02/25/09 09:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you plan on doing bigger grows, with say quart grain jars, I would suggest buying a larger pressure cooker if you dont want to have to do multiple sterilization cycles.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: iskinbash]
    #9861631 - 02/25/09 09:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure about conversions but wouldn't that make that pressure cooker like 18 bucks or something??

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: iskinbash]
    #9861633 - 02/25/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

All presterilized shit is just garbage. There's a thread or two a week about slow growth, no growth, contams, ect... because people bought their shit premade. If your going to do BRF cakes you can just steam them in a pot. You don't need a Pressure cooker. Also it's seriously only 3 ingredients water, verm, and BRF. That's it. This isn't rocket science or brain surgery. This is some easy shit to do.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

OfflineKiada09
Stranger

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9862011 - 02/25/09 11:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ahhh.. I was just worried about the jars and what type to get but I think they have some alright ones in the Range near me. They also sell Verm, Pert, plastic storage boxes, lamps/lights etc.. the question is, how many trips to the shop do I have to make to not make it look dodgy? haha. Think I'll get the brown rice flour off the internet.. unless its easier to crush up normal brown rice, and whether or not tesco has any.

So really - buying a cold mist humidifier just for the kitchen isnt worth it? it wont clean the air / filter it / be of any benefit at all? That takes down a bit of the cost..

Also I think i'd feel a bit 'safer' using a pressure cooker - even though its been stressed many times that you only need to boil / steam. And I mayaswell get one, specially if I want to progress onto more advanced things! But that one I linked as was said, might be a bit small.

Any of the UK heads about can link me to a decent pressure cooker available in the UK? I mean as much as I'd like to, I dont think its very economical importing an AA one from the US haha.

Thanks again for the replies..

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
    #9862039 - 02/25/09 11:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

One, for all we/they know you are growing button mushrooms or oysters. They won't ask if you don't talk about it. How often do you go to the store and the guy taking your money goes "So, watcha gonna do with...." To most people it'll look like your buying shit for a bunch of different things. Because, really, how many people know that it takes these items to grow mushrooms. Before you came upon this site or started investigating growing, did you have a clue as to what it would take to grow?????

Just go buy everything you can there, whatever you can't order it.

------
P.S. When you find a store that carries perlite, talk to someone that works there B/C:
here a 8 quart bag of perlite is like $5-$6 and a 4 cubic foot bag is only $15-$17, they can usually order it for you with no extra shipping costs.

If you don't act shady they won't think twice about the shit you buy.

Edited by fltdriver82 (02/25/09 11:25 AM)

OfflineDeviou5
Urban Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #9862103 - 02/25/09 11:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Kiada09 said:
crush up normal brown rice

That's what I do.  Works better than the store bought shit, IME.  Just buzz it up in a blender (my food processor didn't work very well, nor did my coffee grinder).

OfflineKiada09
Stranger

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: Deviou5]
    #9862548 - 02/25/09 12:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Do you need a prescription to buy rubbing alcohol in the UK? Theres 2 places where you dont seem to need to (maplin and mistral.ie) but everywhere like boots etc. says a prescription is required?

It works out around £15 inc delivery for 1 ltr when buying it online. Isnt that a bit steep?

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #9862576 - 02/25/09 12:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've heard of white vineger being used...

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineDeviou5
Urban Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: Spongiform]
    #9863169 - 02/25/09 02:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:

That looks a bit dodgy... I'm willing to go for it, however, I'm just a little curious to know if anyone has experienced one of those things blowing up before...?

Offlineinit
Golden Student
Female User Gallery

Loc: west coast
Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: Deviou5]
    #9863272 - 02/25/09 02:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Deviou5 said:
Quote:

Spongiform said:

That looks a bit dodgy... I'm willing to go for it, however, I'm just a little curious to know if anyone has experienced one of those things blowing up before...?

Haha I'd say that's a legitimate concern.. I'm not sure how much a youtube video will do to ease your concerns, but for what it's worth, I found this how-to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExzRDIqzxM
The poster says the chance of something exploding is "next to nothing." I'll probably give this technique a shot - up to you though :smile:

--------------------

OfflineKiada09
Stranger

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: init]
    #9863847 - 02/25/09 03:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for that youtube vid - really helpful - interesting. Shall definitly be doing an alcohol lamp that way!

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
    #9863925 - 02/25/09 03:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i didn't even consider making one! thanks

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

OfflineKiada09
Stranger

Re: A few questions before I make purchases [Re: tektonic]
    #9867708 - 02/26/09 03:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm so, with regards to preparing the jars.. you have the substrate, then the casing layer, then the lid with the 4 holes - and on top of that theres 2 layers of foil with no holes? theres no foil between the casing layer and the lid - just over the top of the lid? Then the foils removed to inoculate, then quickly replaced to incubate / let the jars colonize?

Also (reading the Psilocybin Mushroom Handbook) its best not to use perlite, and fruit right out of the jar? I understand this gives more shapely results, but is the yield as good? And there wouldnt be any need for perlite - but is this method more likely to go wrong?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate