Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

Loc: SW Connecticut
WTF... Help please? (Now w/ Pics!!!)
    #9825707 - 02/19/09 10:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So... I have 9 BRF jars that are taking their sweet ass time colonizing, and I checked them out this morning only to find that one of them, which is only about 75% has a blatant pin on the side of it.  It's about the size of my fingernail,but it's obviously a pin, and it popped up over night.  I'm not sure what to do about it, because won't it rot in there?  The myc seems seems to be having a hard time negotiating it's way around the verm that has fallen down the sides of the jars, in between the glass and the BRF.  I think this is why the jars are taking so long, and it's leading to parts of the jars having no, or very little myc, while other parts have it thick as hell (and even a pin!).  What to do what to do??

-  Urge

Edited by Urge2Herbal (02/19/09 06:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWelcometoreality
Stranger

Loc: Really cold
Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: Urge2Herbal]
    #9825737 - 02/19/09 10:53 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Two things would make your jars take a while to colonize would be:

A: You don't have enough gas exchange holes
B: That is a contam

Honestly most likely you have a contam. Toss out the jar with the pin on it since a sign of early pinning means a contam since it is only 75% colonized. Just cut your losses. You will do it either now or in a few weeks.

--------------------
Welcometoreality

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: Welcometoreality]
    #9825761 - 02/19/09 10:57 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Welcometoreality said:

Honestly most likely you have a contam. Toss out the jar with the pin on it since a sign of early pinning means a contam since it is only 75% colonized. Just cut your losses. You will do it either now or in a few weeks.

What he said is most likely correct. Post a pic and we can tell you what is going on. Don't throw anything out yet! Your jars might be fine for all we know.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/19/09 11:01 AM)

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: Welcometoreality]
    #9825765 - 02/19/09 10:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Welcometoreality said:

The first part about the the gas exchange was good, but the rest is garboooo.

Post some pics of ur jars. What are you using for a filter? Whats the date of inoculation? You could have just over or under saturated the verm and brown flower rice. It would equal to longer colonization times. Moisture content needs to be right on everytime.
For example if a human drinks too much water, they can die. If they dont drink enough they can die. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9825909 - 02/19/09 11:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'll get pics up tonight.  I bought them sterilized from a vendor (Boo, I know but my townhouse with 7 other boys is sooo disgusting, sterile is almost impossible) and inoculated them March 24th.  They have 4 holes in each lid, and I removed the micropore tape probably 2 weeks after inoculation.  I have almost no control over the temps and they fluctuate a crap load (it gets way too hot in our room, roommate leaves window open over night, etc...) so some of the jars literally just started growing and are maybe at 20%, also, I was so paranoid I only inoculated at one point in each 1/2pint with ≈1cc.  The jar that has a pin got inoculated in two places, and thus is way ahead of the others.  I am thinking of spawning it to bulk to let the other cakes catch up.  That way I can have 1 tray + 8 jars in my shotgun at once.  But maybe that's just crazy

Could I flip the jars over so that the verm doesn't collect between the glass and BRF?  If so, do I need to prop them on something so the holes aren't covered?

Edited by Urge2Herbal (02/19/09 11:32 AM)

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
    #9825937 - 02/19/09 11:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That sounds like a reasonable solution to you're problem you should always multispore when growing jars speeds up the process and doesn't allow time for contams along with other benefits....

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: electrics]
    #9825996 - 02/19/09 11:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Electrics, are you referring to the flip, or the bulk?

Offlineschutzemdown
Waste of Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Hoosier State Flag
    #9826019 - 02/19/09 11:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've had pins before 100% colonization. I birthed them and had no problems. If it's a large part on colonized cut it off and birth it. Or just wait longer... let shroom grow and then birth when it looks ripe. It will take a bit before mushie rots.

--------------------
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you drugs.

Try practicing safe sex and go fuck yourself!

AMU

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: schutzemdown]
    #9826197 - 02/19/09 12:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

temp fluctuation will slow everything down, just do what you can to stabilize the temps and it will be fine.  for now, it will be fine still, just slower.

I think it pinned because you removed your tape.  you need gas exchange not FAE.  4 holes in the lid coverd in micropore is giving it gas exchange and by taking the tape off you gave it a good shot of fresh air.  but dont worry.

I would put micropore back on and turn your jars over but try not do mess up the filter layer/verm layer.  I had to turn a couple of jars over so it could colonize the bottoms of the jar.  the cake stuck to the bottom not letting the myc colonize it but when I turned it over 4 days later it was done.

I left 1 cake whole in a shotgun FC to watch grow and keep my mind of my monotub which I crumbled all the rest of my cakes to coir/verm/coffee substrate on 2/3.  I cased it and its been in fruiting conds. since the 13th and it started pinning like mad yesterday.

my lone cake has lil 2" shroomies all over and more pins are still coming.

patience is key.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
    #9826200 - 02/19/09 12:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Urge2Herbal said:
inoculated them March 24th.

Okay since nobody else is saying anything
Almost a year to colonize?

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9826206 - 02/19/09 12:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah... I mean January 24th.  Oops

An I forgot to shake the syringe *Bangs head on table*

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #9826209 - 02/19/09 12:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fltdriver82 said:
Quote:

Urge2Herbal said:
inoculated them March 24th.

Okay since nobody else is saying anything
Almost a year to colonize?

:congrats:

could be a prob.  lol

most likely a type-o.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9826281 - 02/19/09 12:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was just wondering, I figured he meant Jan but wanted to check.

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

#9828465 - 02/19/09 06:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Here are the pictures!  In one you can see the pesky pin, in the next the part that isn't yet colonized, and in the last, the bottom of the jar.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9828615 - 02/19/09 06:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Just grow them in jar. That's what I'd do at this point. You can leave the top on or you can take them off when they get large enough (check with someone growing invitro to find out for sure I've never done it).  That larger pin in that first pic might grow into a large ass fruit thats a pretty big pin.

Your sub looks like you either put too much water in it or you packed it way too tight. Next time just follow RR's recipe to the letter (thats if you didn't) and all you need to do is place the sub in nice and easy. The way it falls off the spoon and fills the jar is an ample enough amount of BRF. There is no need to pack it down or shake the sub down (the later of the two is alright to do as long as you don't go too crazy with it). Those two things can majority stall BRF cakes. Thats what seems to happened in your case. It still might colonize though while its fruiting. That's why I'd just leave it in the jar. Thats just my opinion.

Based off the pics I see no contaminations that are noticeable. If it smells fine then most likely it is a healthy culture just not colonized 100%. My current monotub didn't colonize to 100% and it fruited too. So weird shit happens all the time. It also has no contams.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/19/09 06:55 PM)

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9828799 - 02/19/09 07:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Your sub looks like you either put too much water in it or you packed it way too tight. Next time just follow RR's recipe to the letter (thats if you didn't) and all you need to do is place the sub in nice and easy. The way it falls off the spoon and fills the jar is an ample enough amount of BRF. There is no need to pack it down or shake the sub down (the later of the two is alright to do as long as you don't go too crazy with it). Those two things can majority stall BRF cakes. Thats what seems to happened in your case. It still might colonize though while its fruiting. That's why I'd just leave it in the jar. Thats just my opinion.

Damn mycoluv.com!

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
    #9828861 - 02/19/09 07:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thats life grow on its fine better pin than contam!!

:smile:

Looks nice

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9828865 - 02/19/09 07:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Urge2Herbal said:
Quote:

Damn mycoluv.com!

Thats the main problem you bought premade jars. Those all fucking sucking. It's a waste of time and money bro. Threres a million threads here about people buying premade, jars, bags, and LCs. They all deal with stalled growth, contams, no growth, or just an overall shity ass made product. Next time just make your own shit. With premade jars you don't know when the jars were made, how they were made, what temps they were made at, how long they cooked, how they were stored, how the shipping conditions were (was it in a cold fucking truck or factory or was it in a hot ass distribution center for a couple of days). Bottom line just make your own shit.

1. It's easier than it looks.
2. It's cheaper than buying that shit premade.
3. You don't need a Pressure cooker for BRF cakes so theirs no excuse for not doing it on your own.

--------------------

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

#9828933 - 02/19/09 07:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'd LOVE to, but I live in a house with 7 other dudes, and filthy does not begin to describe it.  If I sprayed LC via an aerosol can around my apartment it would probably grow everywhere.  I was able to inoculate in my room which I could keep clean and have a chance at sterility, but doing anything on the stove, or anywhere communal would have required HOURS of cleaning.  We literally have 2 full size garbage bins overflowing onto the floor in the middle of the kitchen/living room.  But only a few more months till graduation!

Offlinepuckmonster
The Loooooone Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Texas
    #9828979 - 02/19/09 07:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

dude gross and i thought my kitchen was bad. Pay some freshman 20 bucks to clean it thats what i used to do.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9829312 - 02/19/09 08:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Urge2Herbal said:
I'd LOVE to, but I live in a house with 7 other dudes, and filthy does not begin to describe it.  If I sprayed LC via an aerosol can around my apartment it would probably grow everywhere.  I was able to inoculate in my room which I could keep clean and have a chance at sterility, but doing anything on the stove, or anywhere communal would have required HOURS of cleaning.  We literally have 2 full size garbage bins overflowing onto the floor in the middle of the kitchen/living room.  But only a few more months till graduation!

You know you don't need to be as clean as you think. Cook the jars in a large pot or a PC then take it into your room to cool or even let it cool in your filthy kitchen. Just don't open the pot there. The lid is enough of a barrier for germs. Also the inside of the pot should be pretty sterile from the cooking. If you have a PC (pressure cooker) then just cook your items in it and let it cool in the PC. That's a perfectly sealed, sterile, and pressurized environment. Damn near nothing will get in it if you don't open it or let out all the pressure.

--------------------

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
    #9829584 - 02/19/09 09:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

GLOVE BOX.

OfflineUrge2Herbal
Aspiring Nerd
Male

Re: WTF... Help please? [Re: PreparationH]
    #9830672 - 02/19/09 11:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck