Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

Loc: england
agar contamination questions (pic)
    #9819523 - 02/18/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so made up some petri dishes of some pearl oyster using PDYA a while ago.
first off it started taking fine, then got a white spot on the edge of the plate, where i didnt think that i had inoculated, then it went a little green, so i assumed it was some of that horrible trich stuff... but then i got loads of white, fluffy, mycelium-looking growth from a spot right next to it which ended up pretty much engulfing it a few days later...

the green bit that got covered over is on the blob more to the right, at the edge of the plate.
what i wanted to ask is what could be going on and are there white mycelium look-alike moulds that i have to watch out for?

sorry if im asking really obvious stuff, am quite new to this.

have kept the plate in a plastic bag away from any other plates for curiosity's sake...

any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: agar contamination questions (pic) [Re: klodeo]
    #9819671 - 02/18/09 12:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Man, are you sure that it "started off fine"? Because the blobby stuff I see to the left and which looks like someone spilled pudding is bacteria having a house party in your petri dish. There ain't anything healthy.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

Re: agar contamination questions (pic) [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9819793 - 02/18/09 12:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

think thats got to do with working inocculating it and working with it before it had set. was my first batch of agar plates ever and still sorting out my technique, but am pretty sure thats what that is... it stopped happening as soon as i started waiting for the agar to set before working with it

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9819825 - 02/18/09 12:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Healthy mycelium looks like that white fluff in the right corner, not like sperm. Don't squirt a lot  of spore solution into the petris. Shake up your syringe and just inoculate the dishes with a few tiny drops from it.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

#9819873 - 02/18/09 12:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

didnt use solution, i inocculated it with a piece of tissue.
getting slightly off topic anyway, what i want to know is whether that white stuff in the right is mycelium after all, since i didnt drop any of the mush there, and because it appeared after the green, so i assumed it was some sort of mould.
was just interested to know if there are any moulds which are white and fluffy that could maybe be confused with mycelium.
if not, then am assuming that the mycelium somehow got across the dish and fought an epic battle with the green gunk, getting the better of it at first.

just checked on it again since taking the picture, and ended up throwing it away cos the green stuff grew back through the white.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9820025 - 02/18/09 01:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I would say it is. Transfer parts of it into new dishes and do a few cleanup cycles. Once you only have clean mycelium left you are good to go.

--------------------

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

#9820155 - 02/18/09 02:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the help.
have already thrown the whole thing away since the green stuff grew back through the white, and i had other much healthier plates of the same stuff going with which to play with. was more just a matter of curiosity because the whole thing confused me quite a bit.

peace

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9820204 - 02/18/09 02:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That was a good idea. There was too much nasty in there.

--------------------

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #9820308 - 02/18/09 02:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hijack of sorts here,

But I have some whispy myc growing off tissue samples and they are from a wild clone. Look healthy, colonized half-dish, but now the hyphae are "reaching for the stars" so to speak. Now I know that cobweb does that...but there is 0 contam anywhere in the dish, except for the myc trying to grab onto the top of my lid. That sound familiar? Very fluffy myc off my tissue as well. Its from a wild P. ostreatus. I could try to get a pic but my camera is crap, I'd have to get a good pic later. I've done a transfer to see if its just myc or if I'm seeing things...but all 4 plates are identical that on the 4th or 5th day of growth the myc is starting to reach from the edges first.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

Re: agar contamination questions (pic) [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9820337 - 02/18/09 02:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i got same thing on quite a few of my healthy looking plates. i recon its just mycelium and its not a problem, but then im no expert...

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9820625 - 02/18/09 03:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The white fluffy stuff is good in this case. The stuff that looks like sperm pudding not so much. That's bacteria. And "green things" are also to be avoided.

--------------------

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9820704 - 02/18/09 03:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

But what of the mentioned issues in the last 2 posts?

--------------------

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

#9820802 - 02/18/09 03:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thinking of it, i remember reading a post a few days ago (sorry cant find it again) where somebody was saying that their lion's mane culture grew upwards to the point of pushing the lid off the dish, so dont think up-growth is anything to worry about..

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

#9820938 - 02/18/09 04:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

just found this on 'growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms' by paul stamets (in a bit where he's talking about different kinds of mycelium):

"Cottony: This type of mycelium is common with strains of oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus species), shaggy manes (Coprinus comatus), and hen of the woods (grifola frondosa). Looking like tufts of cotton, the mycelium is nearly as aerial in its growth as it is longitudinal. Cottony mycelium is commonly called "tomentose" by mycologists. When rhizomorphic mycelium degenerates with age, tomentose formations typically take over."

so cottony and up is good :smile:

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9821124 - 02/18/09 04:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you, I really should just sit down and re-read those books when I have a question. :P

--------------------

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

#9824492 - 02/19/09 02:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

no worries, ended up learning quite a bit flipping through it yesterday. good ol' stamets... :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom