Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinety.ler
Apprentice
Male
Best location for sterility in apartment?
    #9802809 - 02/15/09 04:33 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Hello,
Ive been looking into growing gourmet mushrooms, being that I used to grow psilos years ago using the pf tek and enjoyed the experience. First off, are there any gourmets that you would suggest to begin with, preferably ones that fruit in the 75-80 degree range.  It sounds like Oysters might  be a good starting point.

I have a one bedroom apartment, and as far as a sterile location for cultivation (agar culture and inoculation) I am not really sure, it seems pretty hopeless.  It was easy in a house because the air could be turned off, but I have no control over that.  It sounds dirty but the bathroom seems like the only option.  Im unsure.

???

Thanks for your help.
Tyler

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleimnotthere

Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: ty.ler]
    #9802845 - 02/15/09 04:41 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

make a glovebox.  Location of that doesn't really matter, just not too close to any circulating air. Even the cleanest part of your house is thick with contaminating spores, so work like agar and inoculations must be performed in a still air glove box.  You don't even need to really attach gloves.  Mine is just simply a clear tub with 2 arm holes cut in.  I just wear latex gloves and keep the tub clean with soap and water - don't attempt to sterilize it, cause it will never be.

And be careful with alcohol and flames in the box, I've been having some wild flameups from alcohol on my gloves and burning my tools with a lighter.  Do this part out of the box if you want to keep your arm hair.:eek:

Lions Mane and Oysters are some of the easier ones to start with.  I like Reishi as well.  Check out my gallery for some pics I've posted.

Good luck:thumbup:

Invisibleimnotthere

Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: imnotthere]
    #9802860 - 02/15/09 04:44 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Don't do any mycology work in the bathroom.  Unless you want to grow feces.  :cuteshit:

Make your glovebox portable, and just do it on a desk or something.  I need to post some pics of my glovebox - it is simple and effective.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

#9802900 - 02/15/09 04:52 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Also, don't do it in your microwave, that seems to be a common mistake..

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Invisibleimnotthere

Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: neopet nub]
    #9802925 - 02/15/09 04:57 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

the oven is a common mistake, I've never heard of in the microwave, but definitely don't do it in either place.  No fancy filters or anything - you want STILL air, in the box.  This or an expensive Laminar Flowhood will give great results if used in combination with clean methods, quick meticulous work, and generous amounts of alcohol.... but again, be careful when flame sterilizing tools...  OUTSIDE the box.

Glovebox on a desk or table FTW:thumbup:

I have a very good success rate doing this, and hardly even get contaminated dishes, let alone grain jars.

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #9803035 - 02/15/09 05:24 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

I've done GTG, LC, Syringes...all in a glovebox. Now I go flowhood..but before that, I operated very well in a simply still air box. Regular rubber gloves on my hands...nothing fancy. Started with attached gloves to the fittings, then dropped those and used shoulder long gloves...dropped those, now its a a couple of holes in the side of a big tub, a pair of gloves, a burner and copious amounts of alcohol.

Be careful though...alcohol burns faster then you think.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9803170 - 02/15/09 05:49 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

I have seen a tek for a glove box made out of an aquarium, OP do you have one?

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: neopet nub]
    #9803302 - 02/15/09 06:15 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

that would be akward to use, but you could easily just tip the aquarium on its side, and design a custom lid for it with arm holes.

a good old plastic tub works great.

Invisibleimnotthere

Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9803477 - 02/15/09 06:56 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

very nice CptnGarden, what are the pieces inside the holes, and what are their purpose?  Just comfort I assume.  Here is mine, simply and effective.  The only one I've ever built.

And when I need more vertical room for grain to grain transfers or sawdust block inoculations, I add the second tub...

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#9803860 - 02/15/09 08:22 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

they are 4" ABS closet flanges, they are the ring under your toilet in which the toilet bolts to, and which is bolted to the floor. yes they are there for comfort from the sharp plastic, they are smooth inside.

i had originally designed it so gloves would be attached on the inside to the piece of closet flange thats hanging in there, but the movement is very limited with the gloves locked in place and i much prefer being able to move around more since im usually working with lots of stuff, and this glovebox was designed for more workspace.
whats more space worth if you cant reach it? :lol:

91% isopropyl and latex gloves work great.

OfflineJonat
Stranger
Re: Best location for sterility in apartment? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9807514 - 02/16/09 01:28 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

CptnGarden said:
they are 4" ABS closet flanges, they are the ring under your toilet in which the toilet bolts to, and which is bolted to the floor. yes they are there for comfort from the sharp plastic, they are smooth inside.

Nice - I use something similar that I found in the plastic pipe section of the home improvement store, but it isn't flanged. Yours looks better (though a simple pipe section works 100%).

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms