Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTeamAmerica
 User Gallery

Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: purple_mule]
    #9802109 - 02/15/09 12:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeamAmerica
 User Gallery

Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: TeamAmerica]
    #9802112 - 02/15/09 12:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineTeamAmerica
 User Gallery

#9802115 - 02/15/09 12:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineTeamAmerica
 User Gallery

#9802122 - 02/15/09 12:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sometimes I think that our emotions are connected, that by going into despair, one can comeout more enlightened and happier than before, or more sensitive, more feeling, more understanding, more open to the cosmic giggle---

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: Poid]
    #9802420 - 02/15/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
:rolleyes:, let me just lay it out flat:

When I feel gloomy, it's a fundamental result of being aware of society (and by extension, humanity); I feel gloomy because there are people that actually follow society, people that are essentially mindless sheep. Sure, they have "souls", but the vast majority of them aren't strong enough to fight off society's influence; they are, in the most literal sense possible, lunatics.

I still love them, though...:heartpump:

We are all sheep, programmed to follow something. You can't escape cause and effect.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineMan in the Box
 User Gallery

#9802920 - 02/15/09 02:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

purple mule i know that emotion well it can be challenging sometimes though heh and frustrating but I think it makes you who you are. Though i cant think of much proof at the moment. I think i may also be tied with self preservation if that is an emotion, that an empathy are my two.

OfflineNexion
Seeker
Male

Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9802950 - 02/15/09 03:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
We are all sheep, programmed to follow something. You can't escape cause and effect.

Well said

And my contribution: I believe whatever emotion you give the most attention/power is the strongest. If you let love pour out from everything you do it's just as strong as letting hate or jealousy or grief pervade everything you do. (Assuming of course that sincerity is equally present.)

OfflineListless
Explorer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sweden
Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: Nexion]
    #9803407 - 02/15/09 04:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I believe the strongest emotion can be many things depending on what you've experienced and what you currently feel.

Another thought
Since emotions have different life lengths you can ask yourself if the strongest emotion is 1) the one that is the strongest in one given instance or 2) the sum of emotion over time.

Let's consider euphoria which is a very strong emotion indeed. Give that emotion an arbitrary value of 100 at its peak (I'm not saying you should assign numbers to feelings, I'm just doing it for the sake of argument). This feeling doesn't last. Say it origins from an orgasm, or from a drug. That's just minutes. Multiplying 100 with just a few minutes doesn't give you a very high number.

Then consider the feeling of security. The kind which comes from love and stability and give that a value of let's say 10. This feeling might last for months or years. Multiplying 10 with that amount of time greatly exceed the number derived from euphoria.

I don't really like describing emotions in numbers but I wanted to illustrate that an emotion that lasts for a while could be seen as a stronger emotion than one that is stronger a given instance but doesn't last very long.

Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned hunger or thirst ^^ Maybe it's too closely connected to fear of death.

Another way to look at it is to consider how the emotion influences your actions. The more actions an emotion influences the stronger it is. Feeling tired might not be strong enough to make you skip work one day, but being depressed might. I realize this is endlessly complicated as you never feel just one emotion at a time. Maybe it's more simple to look at what emotion overpowers the other emotions in a given instance. But that will just raise the question of how different emotions interact. Some might strengthen each other, some might just add up to each other etc. Maybe strong emotions might derive from combinations of other emotions building up a whole new level of emotions. Is there "atom" emotions?

Edited by Listless (02/15/09 04:51 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#9803489 - 02/15/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Poid said:

When I feel gloomy, it's a fundamental result of being aware of society (and by extension, humanity); I feel gloomy because there are people that actually follow society, people that are essentially mindless sheep. Sure, they have "souls", but the vast majority of them aren't strong enough to fight off society's influence; they are, in the most literal sense possible, lunatics.

it's a complex attitude
a mood is a complex attidue.
one can develop moods like artforms.
acting is an art. an art that becomes very real, or impossible to wave away.

emotions are definitely not moods or states of mind, but they can influence both.
if you allow the meanings of things to cross everything will also get muddled.

Mindstate is the reverberance of mind. (we here like to get extra reverberent, more layers, richer senses, extra dimensions, stopping or changing time etc. we play with the reverberance or stickyness or layeredness of mind)

Emotion is not a state of mind in that way, it is content:
it is memory or thought enriched with body feeling

Mood is a different kind of content - a persistent attitude or cultivated attitude.

and Attitude is a mask or routine that is learned and practiced till it becomes reflex.

The stream of consciousness is the meeting place of sensations and memory and it can be deflected by emotion or by drugs to a more reverberant movement.

Mood and attitude thoughts sensations and emotions are like the mental media that gets played in the stream of consciousness.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisibleamericalovesfear
MagentaPlacenta
Female User Gallery

Loc: that place
    #9804644 - 02/15/09 08:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the title to your post reminded me of the scene in donnie darko
Donnie: Life isn't that simple. I mean who cares if Ling Ling returns the wallet and keeps the money? It has nothing to do with either fear or love.
Kitty Farmer: Fear and love are the deepest of human emotions.
Donnie: Okay. But you're not listening to me. There are other things that need to be taken into account here. Like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else!
fuckass assfuck

but for me, my strongest emotion is empathy and being sensitive of all the emotions around me.  i used to not be able to leave my house because i thought i felt everyone's emotions all rolled into one.  it was horribly uncomfortable.

--------------------
Spiders on drugs

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9804676 - 02/15/09 09:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Fear.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineTeamAmerica
 User Gallery

Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9804789 - 02/15/09 09:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I remember a quote by H.P. Lovecraft it went something like...

"Fear is the oldest and strongest feeling of man, even more so, the fear of the unknown."

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9805088 - 02/15/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Quote:

Poid said:

I am not a sheep because I am not involuntarily under any person's control.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9805159 - 02/15/09 10:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

"emotions are definitely not moods..."

:what:

The words emotion and mood are practically synonymous to each other.

"...or states of mind, but they can influence both."

Define "states of mind", and then tell me how an emotion doesn't fit that definition.

Are you saying that states of mind don't influence emotions as well?

"...if you allow the meanings of things to cross everything will also get muddled."

That's why I allow myself to learn the true meanings of things.

"Emotion is not a state of mind in that way, it is content:
it is memory or thought enriched with body feeling
"

I'd say that it is a state of mind that causes an indicative corporeal reaction which further catalyzes both said state of mind and indicative corporeal reactions.

"Mood is a different kind of content - a persistent attitude or cultivated attitude."

When I say, "I am in a bad mood", I say it because I'm feeling emotionally vulnerable and I don't usually say exactly which emotion I'm feeling because it's not necessary; if I wanted to have an in depth conversation about how I'm feeling, then I would've explained it in such a way.

I think an attitude is created out of moods/emotions.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

Loc: Ry'leh
    #9805233 - 02/15/09 10:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Anger has always been my strongest emotion.  My thoughts come at me more clearly, my senses become heightened, and all other emotions can only be intellectualized.  I always thought it would be interesting to feel love this way, and I'm jealous of people who can, not because I hold love up as a 'better' emotion, just because I think it would be kinda interesting to feel that way.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#9806445 - 02/16/09 06:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Poid said:

That's why I allow myself to learn the true meanings of things.

I'd say that it (emotion) is a state of mind that causes an indicative corporeal reaction which further catalyzes both said state of mind and indicative corporeal reactions.

I described states of mind cleary above and in many previous postings:
it is how reverberent the mind is to any signals, i.e. the mind state is the propensity of mind to release signals quickly or slowly.
like going from gas to liquid to gel to solid metaphorically.
the more gelled states of mind enable dreams and other layered events like hallucinating, while the less gelled states of mind better enable day to day functioning.

attitude is created out of any routines, gestures, utterances, glances (pure personality habit items)

mood is a restricted bouquet of attitude. ("being vulnerable" is just one act or attitude - you can call the whole mood "emotional" but that label is an exaggeration, one does not hold an emotion as long as one can keep a mood referenced. tears will dry up, but a mood will stay on - still it can linger in such a way as to promote more of the same emotion at the earliest convenience - eg. more crying)

emotion is a kind of mind&body experiencing or memory event with pain or pleasure, like joyful laughing, or crying.

the relation of emotion to state of mind is that an emotion such as anger or love or fear or excitement will release chemicals that will cause a shift in the state of mind.

the state of mind remains a description of the mind's state, or mind's propensity to recirculate signals or just let them pass.

Note both happy and sad emotions can cause the same shift in mind state, or shift in degree of resonance, although the mental content will have different character.

it is a distinct and clear relationship emotion -> mind state shift.

a closer similarity can be found between emotion and attitude, although attitude is usually dry, no chemistry, while emotion with body memory and body feeling mixed in so strongly, produces endorphins or adrenaline etc; however both of these are short sequences of mental content, or mental media.

Mood is a much longer sequence. a full blown stage drama as opposed to a simple interchange or scene.

this kind of distinction of mental media, is like noticing the difference between a short and simple guitar riff and a whole symphonic movement that lasts half an hour.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what is the strongest emotion? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9810791 - 02/16/09 09:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I can play "People Are Strange" on the guitar! :yesnod:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order