Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJohnP
Why?
Male User Gallery
I must be a Newb.
    #9790546 - 02/13/09 01:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

... As for flame sterilization of the needle, do you guys ever have the problem of having your needle melt off where it is connected to the syringe? I knew something wasn't right when the needle started turning red and it started droooping over... How do you expect to get the needle red hot, without it melting the plastic that holds it there!?! you just flame sterilize the TIP of the needle?

It almost happened to me but it re-solidified after a little while and it still worked... :undecided:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheDoorMouse
Stranger
Male

Loc: Everywhere all at once
Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: JohnP]
    #9790574 - 02/13/09 01:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just get or make a glovebox, i haven't flame sterilized once, just used rubbing alcohol inside the sterile box and never had a problem

--------------------
"Look down on me you will see a Fool.... Look up at me and you will see Your Lord... Look straight at me you will see Yourself."
- Charles Manson

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
    #9790586 - 02/13/09 01:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You don't have to get the needle that hot. I don't use a needle. Agar is the way to go. Start with a print, spread some spores and you can start it from there. This also helps you to identify any contams that might be in the agar. Isolate and your off to the races.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9790591 - 02/13/09 01:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

skatardude10 said:
How do you expect to get the needle red hot, without it melting the plastic that holds it there!?!

Don't get the flame close to the plastic. Hold the tip of the needle into the flame until it's red hot. You are using a long needle, aren't you? (this hobby pretty much requires it to be long) Also use a hot heat source, like an alcohol lamp.

Starrider, agar is much nicer if you are very careful and sterile. I'd recommend needles for an easy starting place.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: Shroominit]
    #9790780 - 02/13/09 02:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yea your over heating your needles if you are melting your syringe. I've had some of my 60cc needles get pretty hot but not any of my 10CC syringes. What you need to do is heat only the tip (last 1/2" or so of it) to be red hot, and not the base of the needle.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineJohnP
Why?
Male User Gallery
Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9790951 - 02/13/09 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the help. From now on I will only flame sterilize the tip of the needle, and will cool it with rubbing alcohol swabs.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9790961 - 02/13/09 03:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

skatardude10 said:
thanks for the help. From now on I will only flame sterilize the tip of the needle, and will cool it with rubbing alcohol swabs.

Don't cool it with anything. Stick it in the jar while it's red hot (right when you take it out of the flame).

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: Shroominit]
    #9791056 - 02/13/09 03:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

dont do that either
flame the needle,squirt a drop thru the hot needle
this will cool it down,then knock up your jars

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL/MO/FL/TX/HI/OR
Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9791102 - 02/13/09 03:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

stick the needle into your arm THEN stick it into the jars

DUH

fuckin newbs

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: just me]
    #9791125 - 02/13/09 03:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

make sure you get some blood in there too

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9791341 - 02/13/09 04:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

smart asses.

Cooling with the alcohol swab is normal practice and not a contaminant risk. The purpose of flame sterilization is to prevent contams from being in the needle.
Also if you get an injector port (or use a silicone one) for spawn you won't want to be sticking a flaming hot needle into it.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

InvisibleFizikz
Not a real person
 User Gallery

#9791449 - 02/13/09 04:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the needle comes sterile to begin with, it safe for one jar or whatever your doing with it, and all you need is rubbing alcohol, no flame at all if your do WBS, cuz its just going through polyfill and tyvek.

Offlinewillowmp
Medical Psychedelic Mushrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: Fizikz]
    #9791488 - 02/13/09 04:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

what type of lighter do you use to flame it cause i use a torch lighter therefore i can heat my 18 gauge needle red hot a little more then halfway and it has never melted.

if you use a torch the heat is more intense for a shorter duration, therefore it would prob prevent melting.

and flame sterilization is good to practice as it sterilizes the inside of the needle as well...

--------------------
"Fuck it too much Im outta wittbhjkhbhkjsrglhkrgl g I DEE JEUD."
-Because it made sense on xanax and booze...

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: willowmp]
    #9791538 - 02/13/09 05:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I do it the way I detailed and I use a candle so... it can't necessarily be that more than how far he's sterilizing up. Also you should heat the needle in the point of the flame where the blue aspect of the flame becomes red. It is the point where it will heat things up the fastest.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineMr. Kaya
Stranger

#9791780 - 02/13/09 05:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I always thought you were supposed to wave the flame back and forth across the needle for maybe 5 sec, think of it like drying a blunt after rolling it.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: I must be a Newb. [Re: Mr. Kaya]
    #9792009 - 02/13/09 06:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yea well trust me dude, this technique precedes my knowledge in mycology greatly and I know what I'm talking about here. The fastest and most localized heating will be from heating the metal tip red hot by putting it firmly in the area of the flame where the blue flame turns to the red (or rather yellow as it appears in the area of the flame where you do this). I learned this from an expert at hot knifing from a gas source and it is solid information on how to heat things up.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinewillowmp
Male User Gallery

#9792080 - 02/13/09 07:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i'll be more specific on how i flame my needle as i just did it

1. Take cover off

2. Take lighter and using the hottest part of the torch i go back and forth until i get it red hot

3. immediately fold an alcohol soaked pad over it to cool and keep sterilized

4. use a flowing motion to remove needle from pad and insert into tyvek in one shot, using the pad as a cover. kinda like they do when you give blood.

5. repeat
hasn't failed me yet.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9792128 - 02/13/09 07:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: that's like how I do it then, sorry.
Yea for the OP though if he's having melting syringes it's likely he doesn't need to get the last 3/4" (assuming a length of 1 1/2 or so) of the syringe anyway. It's also possible he's heating it up way too much. I mean red hot is when it starts to look red not until the entire needle is red. I dono if that's the problem, I'm just saying. :shrug:

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinewillowmp
Male User Gallery

#9792259 - 02/13/09 07:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yep lol i could imagine that, hmm how red does it need to be? lol

i just barely get it red, it only goes red for a tiny amount of time.

--------------------

OfflineJohnP
Why?
Male User Gallery
    #9792273 - 02/13/09 07:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

lol, okay. Well this clears some things up. Ill just do whatever. I remember seeing images of needles that were BRIGHT red red hot... sooooo.... I tried to get mine bright red red hot and it started melting off.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag