Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesomefungi
Stranger
 User Gallery
how important genetics of shrooms in terms of generations??
    #9783737 - 02/12/09 08:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ok so ive got my first batch of shrooms grown, but due to what i can only assume to be an error on my part the majority have matured pretty small. ive been taking prints of almost every single one. but if i was to use these small mushie prints to innoc another cake is it an overwhelming chance that the new shrooms wil be small also or will it depend a lot on how they are nurtured??

e.g  my grandfathers tall, my dads not.  im taller than my dad and mum so their genes arnt really effecting me in that way..

is this the same for the shrooms?  i bought them from spores101 so can only hope that they were from good stock to begin with....

or should i dump the little ones and concentrate onthe larger shrooms from the same cakes (but still the same germinated spores????)

i dont like the idea of the spores going to waste from such magical little friends..

oh and the strains ban phang ka... other people have had this shroom grow very big indeed

please tell me what you think

cheers

--------------------
Rye O Rye  wont you grow for me???...????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: how important genetics of shrooms in terms of generations?? [Re: somefungi]
    #9783755 - 02/12/09 08:38 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Its a lot on how you nurture them. If you take a print from a small mushroom, you can still get some good sized fruits. The genes of the dropped spores are not that of the mushroom they came from. Youd want to clone if you were gonna try to make they same mushies, not take its spores.

Anyone, please correct me if im wrong.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Offlinesomefungi
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: how important genetics of shrooms in terms of generations?? [Re: iskinbash]
    #9783980 - 02/12/09 09:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

oh yeah,,, ok....

so next time i get a big one that i like the look of i should try and clone it by taking a cutting?

ill be interested to see how that works

--------------------

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9784016 - 02/12/09 09:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thats what they say. To clone youd take the live tissue and place it on agar to create a culture. maybe even do a few transfers to get the best results.

--------------------

Offlinesomefungi
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: how important genetics of shrooms in terms of generations?? [Re: iskinbash]
    #9784028 - 02/12/09 09:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i had myc colonizing my dry verm layer on top of one of my jars and i used this myc to innoc another brf jar. that jars now 70% done..  i hope without a contam but looks good so far

so i could use the cutting of a shroom to innoc another jar in the same way?

--------------------

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9784051 - 02/12/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You may be able to, but i dont think i would suggest it. It would prob work better in grain jars, but agar is the best way to isolate the strong myc.

--------------------

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9784062 - 02/12/09 09:59 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

somefungi said:
oh yeah,,, ok....

so next time i get a big one that i like the look of i should try and clone it by taking a cutting?

ill be interested to see how that works

Even a clone won't guarantee you will see the same type of growth. It just will give you a higher chance of seeing the kind of growth you want. It's better than growing off the spores as you can get big shrooms, little shrooms, deformed shrooms, no growth, ect...). I personally just use a cloned LC of my best mushrooms. I also have a multispore LC I've made for when I want to grow a different kind of mushrooms or see if I can get a larger sized mushroom out of a wild card of a genetic pool. With clones you also have a higher chance of NOT getting as many mutations and a higher chance of getting more fruit bodies. Also with clones and isolates you get a much more even growing cycle. My last Multispore monotub didn't stop fruiting for like a 2 week period because of some weird ass genetics at play. Also I've made multispore monotubs where nothing fruited at all. So by using clones and isolates (that you know work) you lower your chances of getting a defective end product.

To clone the easy way

To clone a fruit the easy way. You first make a liquid culture solution (honey and water cooked in a PC at 15 psi for 15 mins). You then take your best fruit body and clean the cutting area with rubbing alcohol on all sides. You then take a syringe with a sterilized needle and shove it in that area. Twist and remove. Then inject that fruit body in your LC solution and wait a couple of days to a week...and bam you have a perfect LC.

Some things to note is that the syringe+needle have been PCed for 15-20 mins at 15 PSI with water in it. This will sterilize the needle+syringe and the water contained in the syringe. If you don't do this and you use regular water to force the fruit sample out of the needle then you will just contaminate your LC. You can prep this needle+syringe for use when you are making your LC. I typically make 2 LC's so I can double my chance of success as LC's tend to contaminate very easy.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/12/09 10:04 AM)

Offlinesomefungi
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: how important genetics of shrooms in terms of generations?? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9785513 - 02/12/09 03:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

cheers, sounds good.

ive tried lc before with spores but have had limited success. but i was using steam sterilization. only got my pc today..

i need to try this idea when my mushies grow again

--------------------

OfflineHallucinogenist
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9785547 - 02/12/09 03:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ron's right.  Cloning only gives you "SIMILAR" results.  If you want to get identical growth (or close to), then you need to isolate with agar work.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: how important genetics of shrooms in terms of generations?? [Re: Hallucinogenist]
    #9785744 - 02/12/09 04:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

im taller than my dad and mum so their genes arnt really effecting me in that way..
is this the same for the shrooms?

But their genes are affecting you.  In the last 50 years, we've learned a lot about nutrition that wasn't known when they were growing up.

Generally, fruit size with cubensis is related to substrate moisture content.  I'm sure on your next grow, you'll get larger mushrooms just by using dunk and roll, or paying closer attention to humidity, light, air exchange, etc., even if you use spores from the small fruits.  I'd suggest cloning from a cluster if there's any on your substrate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures