Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action
    #975094 - 10/19/02 04:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action

Mark Steyn
National Post

Nelson Mandela says it's the U.S. and not Saddam Hussein who's "the threat to world peace." David Collenette regrets that the Soviet Union is no longer around to act as a check on American "bullying." Sweden's Goran Persson wants to build up the EU because it's "one of the few institutions we can develop as a balance to U.S. world domination." Sweden was scrupulously relaxed about Nazi world domination and Soviet world domination, but sometimes there are threats so monstrous that even in Stockholm you have to get off the fence. In Germany Gerhard Schroeder is Chancellor today because his party successfully articulated the great menace that George W. Bush poses to the planet. Feel free to insert standard "arrogant cowboy" imagery and other examples of rampant Texaphobia.

Let's suppose for a moment that these fellows are right: that America is a bully and a menace. The question then arises: So what are you going to do about it? Well, Mr. Mandela's country has been busy selling aluminum tubes for uranium enrichment centrifuges to Saddam. The First Secretary of the South African Embassy in Jordan is serving as the local sales rep to Iraqi procurement agents. Thanks to these sterling efforts, they're bringing significantly closer the day when the entire Middle East, much of Africa and even Europe will be under the Saddamite nuclear umbrella and thus safe from Bush's aggression.

Way to go, Nelson! But where are the rest of the slackers? I don't pretend to have all the answers -- well, OK, I do, but only when I'm being interviewed on TV shows -- but I find it a bit odd that the anti-American crowd, once you strip away the moral preening, don't seem to have any answers.

Worse, in confronting the Bush terror, they've developed the curious habit of mistaking the Great Satan's strengths for weaknesses. A couple of weeks back, I wrote about "the extraordinary innovations of the Afghan campaign, when men in traditional Uzbek garb sat on horses and used laser technology to guide USAF bombers to their targets." There followed the usual flurry of huffy e-mails from Canada and Europe insisting this proved absolutely nothing as the cowardly Yanks hadn't had the "guts" to send in ground troops.

I've heard this for a year now and I don't get it. So war's like cricket? There's only one correct way to play? The idea that it doesn't count unless it's the Battle of the Somme is most peculiar. Whether or not America has "no stomach for body bags," in Afghanistan there was no need for them.

There's something a little bewildering about an anti-war movement suddenly pining for the noble sacrifice of the poor bloody infantryman up to his neck in muck and bullets. But, if the Rest Of The World honestly believes the Pentagon are long-range, high-tech, sissy-boy warmongers, let me say again: Why not do something about it? The fact that the U.S. is responsible for 40% of the planet's military spending pales in comparison to the really critical statistic: It's responsible for almost 80% of military research-and-development spending. The gap between America and its NATO "allies" widens every day. You think those unmanned reconnaissance drones high in the sky over Kandahar were mighty fancy? They've now got a five-pound computerized drone you can fit in your backpack. In Afghanistan, a handful of prototype robots assisted in the cave-by-cave search for al-Qaeda crazies. We can only guess at the new toys the Great Satan will have in five years' time, but, whatever they are, I'll bet my in-tray is still getting sneering missives from around the world: "So now the bloody Yank nancy boys are using flying nuclear cheeseburgers launched from the Diego Garcia Burger King. Not exactly the Bengal Lancers, is it?"

If you don't like this scenario, there's only one way to change it: Get back in the game. At the recent NATO meeting, Don Rumsfeld invited his colleagues to demonstrate their seriousness by setting up a Rapid Reaction Force. He meant a real, actual Rapid Reaction Force, not a fictitious one like the European Union's. You may recall Louis Michel, the Belgian Foreign Minister, insisting late last year that the European Rapid Reaction Force "must declare itself operational without such a declaration being based on any true capability." As The Washington Post remarked, "Apparently in Europe this works." But, invited to set up a actual functioning RRF, the Continentals bristled: the cost would divert valuable resources from social programs and might mean they'd have to cut back on welfare payments to Islamic terrorists.

So instead the plan is to diminish U.S. hegemony by spending zip on defence and putting all their eggs in the UN basket-case. Structurally, the UN is a creature of the Cold War. It formalized the stalemate of East and West: It was designed to prevent rather than enable action; it tended toward inertia, which was no bad thing given the potentially catastrophic consequences of the alternative. But we no longer have a bipolar world, and so the vetoes only work one way -- to restrain the sole surviving superpower. And, looked at from the menacing bullying Great Satan's point of view, it's hard to see what's in it for them. But then the anti-Yanks' fetishization of the UN's Cold War structures is consistent with their general retro approach to the geopolitical scene: As with trench warfare, the more obsolescent the concept, the more eagerly they embrace it.

Indeed, just to complete their embrace of the metaphorical Austin Powers Nehru jacket, the left has finally signed on to the concept of "deterrence." In the Cold War, they wanted no truck with this repulsive theory: Why, the notion that "Mutually Assured Destruction" and a "balance of terror" would protect us was morally contemptible and consigned our children to live under the perpetual shadow of Armageddon. But with Saddam it'll work just swell apparently. He's a "rational actor": Even if he gets nukes -- even if he has them now -- he's not crazy enough to use them.

I can't see it myself. To pursue the analogy, deterrence means allowing Saddam to turn the bulk of the Middle East into his version of Eastern Europe, a collection of neutered and subverted client states, beginning with Jordan. Millions of people beyond Iraq's borders will be informally conscripted into Saddam's prison and bequeathed to his even nuttier son.

If you believe, like Nelson Mandela, that Bush is the problem not Saddam, then the above makes perfect sense. But I wonder if the rest of the anti-Yank set have thought it through. They may routinely say that "Bush frightens me," but they're posing; their lack of action makes plain that the Great Satan doesn't frighten them at all. They know America could project itself anywhere and blow up anything, but it doesn't. It could tell the UN to go screw itself, but it's not that impolite. Imagine any previous power of the last thousand years with America's unrivalled hegemony and unparalleled military superiority in a unipolar world with nothing to stand in its way but UN resolutions. Pick whoever you like: the Soviet Union, Imperial Japan, the Third Reich, Napoleon, the Vikings. That's really frightening.

Before September 11th, most Americans tolerated the anti-Yank diatribes from the Rest Of The West as a quaint example of the local culture. Filtered through the smoke of the World Trade Center, it's no longer quite so cute. The real phenomenon of the last year is not Europe's or Canada's anti-Americanism, which has always existed, but a deep, pervasive and wholly new American weariness with its so-called allies. Saddam's creditors in Moscow, his under-the-table trading partners in Paris and his kindred spirits in the thug states may yet team up to stymie America at the UN, and Nelson, David, Goran, Gerhard and the European "peace" marchers will cheer. Be careful what you wish for.

? Copyright 2002 National Post

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #975175 - 10/19/02 05:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I could only get through half of that, my eyes were burning, but i think Bush is doing a great job.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: MsPacMan]
    #975188 - 10/19/02 05:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Let's suppose for a moment that these fellows are right: that America is a bully and a menace. The question then arises: So what are you going to do about it?

"So what are you going to do about it?"

I knew a few bullies that talked like that.....i think in that line alone she shows she knows that they ARE the bullies.  Nobody stands up to a bully with the bombs, we just pick on the minor bullies, the ones trying to make 1 or 2 of what the bigger has national stockpiles of.  Fuck the US :mad: :grin: :grin:

--------------------

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: blink]
    #975332 - 10/19/02 07:03 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If because the US is number one in economy, defense, and education, and we use it to rule over the defenseless, poor, and undereducated countries, the Hell yea the US is a bunch of bullies. We have the power to do it, and i believe we are rather tasteful about it. this world needs a little bit of bullying, and we are the right ones to do it. the way this world is headed, we need something, maybe government isn't it anymore.
i dont think we will ever find it.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #975433 - 10/19/02 07:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

but i think Bush is doing a great job

What, are you blind?

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: blink]
    #975776 - 10/19/02 10:39 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'll let the article respond to you. Read the whole thing, dude.
Quote:

"So what are you going to do about it?"

I knew a few bullies that talked like that.....i think in that line alone she shows she knows that they ARE the bullies. Nobody stands up to a bully with the bombs, we just pick on the minor bullies, the ones trying to make 1 or 2 of what the bigger has national stockpiles of.

They may routinely say that "Bush frightens me," but they're posing; their lack of action makes plain that the Great Satan doesn't frighten them at all. They know America could project itself anywhere and blow up anything, but it doesn't. It could tell the UN to go screw itself, but it's not that impolite. Imagine any previous power of the last thousand years with America's unrivalled hegemony and unparalleled military superiority in a unipolar world with nothing to stand in its way but UN resolutions. Pick whoever you like: the Soviet Union, Imperial Japan, the Third Reich, Napoleon, the Vikings. That's really frightening.

Quote:

Fuck the US :mad: :grin: :grin:

the anti-Yank diatribes from the Rest Of The West as a quaint example of the local culture. Filtered through the smoke of the World Trade Center, it's no longer quite so cute.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Invisiblemr crisper

#976434 - 10/20/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

i believe we are rather tasteful about it. this world needs a little bit of bullying, and we are the right ones to do it

tasteful - in a jerry springer kinda way?
the world needs a bit of bullying.....ask that to this 16 yo afghan kid

leg and fingers blown off by a cruise missile
tho he's lucky, the civilian bodycount stands at over 3000 in afghanistan,
http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm
just what they needed right?
is this the kind of bullying you mean?

Edited by mr crisper (10/20/02 07:47 AM)

Invisiblemr crisper

Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #976440 - 10/20/02 06:42 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

this whole attitude sucks. yes the us is the biggest guy on the street, deal with it...could be worse.
of course, i agree, it could be a lot worse.
what sucks is the greed mentality that is perpetuating and degrading the situation.
call me utopian but what if the us started respecting other nations' peoples, paying a fair price for clothes made by sweat shop labor, a fair price for oil, reduced military spending and put the money into projects that can lead to creating a better and more beautiful life for all humans.
perhaps then other nations would not feel so much fear and hatred, terrorists would channel their energies into a more postive direction....
if the us sets an example as a benevolent nation perhaps others will follow suit, if it continues to act as a bully, exploiting and killing, well choose your old saying...
live by the sword, die...
what goes around comes around.
do unto others..

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #976587 - 10/20/02 09:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

That's just the thing, the US isn't #1 in economy and education.

The US's values are old fashioned, and sometimes irrational. They're doing everything they can to impose them on the rest of the world.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Phluck]
    #976605 - 10/20/02 09:11 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The US's values are old fashioned, and sometimes irrational. They're doing everything they can to impose them on the rest of the world.

By what specific methods is the US government imposing American values on the rest of the world?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #976783 - 10/20/02 10:40 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i agree we're not #1 in education but our economy is by far #1....(GNP etc....)

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Phred]
    #976836 - 10/20/02 11:15 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

By what specific methods is the US government imposing American values on the rest of the world?

Through the world bank and the IMF for starters.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Innvertigo]
    #977666 - 10/20/02 06:08 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

GNP isn't really a good measure of how strong the economy is, just how big you guys are.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Xlea321]
    #977757 - 10/20/02 06:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Non, no, no. The question was, by what specific methods is the US imposing American values on the rest of the world?

The World Bank and the IMF are nothing more than lenders, and they are not the only lenders available. But lets pretend for the sake of argument that both the IMF and the World Bank are 100% American organizations, that they promote American values exclusively, and that they are the only source of loans available on the planet. What specific methods do they follow to impose "American values" on the rest of the world?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

#977829 - 10/20/02 07:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

how are we not number one in education? just because we have kids blowing up eachother in school and shooting eachother and teachers having sex and molesting students doesnt mean......well lets just say that we have the potential to be number one in education

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #978498 - 10/20/02 11:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The World Bank and the IMF are nothing more than lenders

You are joking right?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #978530 - 10/21/02 12:13 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ashamed @ the plagiarizer in the mirror

mikey_p should have stopped me a long time ago to preserve the little bit of literary integrity i had left

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Edited by Lallafa (06/10/11 02:47 PM)

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: Lallafa]
    #978549 - 10/21/02 12:26 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Good points. The Republic of Wal-Mart must make a profit. I hear its GNP is larger than most sovereign nations. There is something called "School of the Americas" that trains terrorists across Latin America for our government's covert foreign policy as well. Corporations rule America plain and simple --not the people.

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: frogsheath]
    #978562 - 10/21/02 12:37 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

not only must they profit, their profits must continue to grow

they actually consider it a failure to maintain the same profit margin from year to year

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Invisiblemr crisper

Re: The anti-Yanks are all talk, no action [Re: frogsheath]
    #979157 - 10/21/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you picked a great example there, they train s.american 'military' in torture techniques, propaganda and mass diposal of bodies, wonder what gets served up in the cafetaria.
check out http://www.soaw.org/new/

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder