Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Straw does not like me!
    #9781196 - 02/11/09 09:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This is the first time I haven't been able to find vermiculite ANYWHERE!  What the hell happened.  Anyway, I bought a bale of straw.  I started to manually cut that shit down to size and all of a sudden,  I'm itching all over my arms, my eyes are burning and my chest tightened up to the point that I'm wheezing.  I have never experienced an allergic reaction to anything that I can think of.  I just took two benadryle's  Has this shit happened to anyone else, or is it just me that is allergic to staw?

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Edited by The shroomy 1 (02/11/09 09:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9781205 - 02/11/09 09:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I chopped up a bale in my garage for a couple hours. Didn't affect me at all...though it wasn't terribly dusty (used a hedge clipper). Maybe your the odd one out that happened to be allergic to it. :/

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

InvisibleechoesSG
Dancing Echoes
Male

Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9781250 - 02/11/09 09:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

maybe the straw had pollen or spores from an unseen source on it. where did you get it from?

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9781256 - 02/11/09 09:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My local feed and seed store.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9781280 - 02/11/09 09:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Could it be the dust? hay fever? or perhaps a mold? feel better soon :frown:

Also I hear the garbage can + weed wacker will chop of straw  very well. But it will probably just aggravate your allergies

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: ABC]
    #9781336 - 02/11/09 09:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know, but I still have a lot more straw to cut!  I feel better  right now, but maybe I should put on long sleeves, put some gloves on and wear my mask.  This sucks!

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: ABC]
    #9781340 - 02/11/09 09:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

cover your self, wear dust mask all that jazz. 

your not alone with the straw being very irritating.  Im allergic to my yard. yes plane ol grass.  found out that playing school football.

I use coir just for that reason.  but Im not abandoning straw all together, just not as often.

yeah the garbage can, a big ass tub and lid w/hole for a weed eater to fit into, whatever works great.  just dont cut it up too much.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9781459 - 02/11/09 10:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That's exactly what I'll do!  I never thought about using the weed eater inside of a large trashcan.  Thanks!

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #9782090 - 02/11/09 11:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Cool idea.

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9783200 - 02/12/09 04:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
I don't know, but I still have a lot more straw to cut!

Well, I am not allergic, but I fucking hated manually chopping up the straw for my last grow and that was only a few pounds! Since straw mixed with coir gave me some awesome results I plan on using it in the future, but there is no way that I am cutting it up by hand. I don't know if you got them, but I'll get myself one of these babies:

I can use it to chop up beech branches for woodlovers, too, so it's a win-win. Used ones go for about 30-40 Euros here.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlineraudi1
Lurker in the mist
Male

Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9783573 - 02/12/09 07:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I use straw for every grow and I am super allergic to it. I have to wear a face mask(usually I tie a tank top over my face) wear long sleeves, long pants, gloves the whole 9. I pasteurize mine in a 50 gal. garbage can and stuff the straw in pillow cases, once I start pasteurizing it I have no problems anymore and I can even handle the straw after it's been wet. Careful with that shit though you don't want your lungs closing up on you and then you wind up in the hospital and they start asking you way too many questions. Good Luck bro!!

Offlineraudi1
Lurker in the mist
Male

Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: raudi1]
    #9783578 - 02/12/09 07:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

BTW what is the name on that shredder I could totally use one of those! or even just the technical name for it. Straw Shredder? Mulch Maker? Shit Chopper?

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9783601 - 02/12/09 07:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

"Gartenhäcksler". Hope that helps. :biggrin:

Seriously, I don't know what they are called in English, but they are used in the garden, when you trim trees and want to break down the branches so you can compost them, but it'll chop straw just as well.

EDIT: found it! Available through "Cleanairgardening".
They are called "Electric (Branch) Chipper/Shredder". The one in the link is a bit steep, but I am sure you could get one cheap through craigslist.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #9783605 - 02/12/09 07:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you have a skill saw you can just feed a entire bail through that and have it shredded in less then 5 minutes <3 his skill saw.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9783623 - 02/12/09 07:54 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Found one at ebay that's at 61$ right now. You can use it for chipping wood for woodlovers and straw for cubes/edibles/whatever.

--------------------

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

#9783776 - 02/12/09 08:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No matter what device you use, you will still have allergic reactions to the straw. Any device is going to throw it up in the air. Where a face mask and one for your mouth, maybe some safetly goggles too. Working with it outside will help, but you may not have that option. In all honesty you shouldnt mess with ur allergies, because the next time you could die from having a swallon air way. I found verm at my local hardware store... usually this time of year you need to go to lowes... or nurseries.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9783784 - 02/12/09 08:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That's true. But I have no allergy against it. I would still advise watering the straw or - if you got a whole bale - hosing it down before chopping it up. That will greatly reduce the allergic reaction, as it will prevent the straw dust from flying around and settling into every pore of that itching skin. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

#9783948 - 02/12/09 09:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

soaking before cutting would definitly cut down the air borne pollen. Cutting it by hand would be the safest bet.

--------------------

Offlinem08b08
BrainDead
Male

Loc: In The Fog
Re: Straw does not like me! [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9783978 - 02/12/09 09:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yea definitely wear long sleeves,when me and my buddies used to bail hay for this old farmer....at least one person walked away with the same symptoms as u there's a certain way u should shower i think its rinse off with warm water and wash with cold.either or i don't remember :stoned: but that shit could get pretty bad so id say hay fever:mushroomgrow:

--------------------

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #9789456 - 02/13/09 07:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
This is the first time I haven't been able to find vermiculite ANYWHERE!  What the hell happened.  Anyway, I bought a bale of straw.  I started to manually cut that shit down to size and all of a sudden,  I'm itching all over my arms, my eyes are burning and my chest tightened up to the point that I'm wheezing.  I have never experienced an allergic reaction to anything that I can think of.  I just took two benadryle's  Has this shit happened to anyone else, or is it just me that is allergic to staw?

Its most defiantly a Allergy (Hypersensitivity) through Mycotoxicosis (production of toxin). Allot of the time deep inside those bails of hay are breading grounds for HIGH amounts of molds, more specifically (Dimorphic fungi). the molds will eat, and metabolize the substrate into toxins. When you go to break the straw up, your releasing all these mold mycelium and toxins into the air, then unknowingly your breathing them in, and there landing on your skin, ect... They enter the body as a mycelium, then once in, change to a yeast form. Once in a yeast form they can attack your cells. It all has to do with Allergens (Hypersensitivity). Some people are more resilient, others not... Most of these molds will just cause short term discomfort but, just be safe and ware a mask. Don't wanna go huffing down something serious.

The difference between a mold, and a mushroom is that a mold is Dimorphic, and a mushroom is Hyphae. A Mold will metabolize a substrate and tune the substrate into a toxin, where a mushroom will metabolize the substrate and store the toxin inside the mushrooms.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures