Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
fruiting chamber (pics)
    #977699 - 10/20/02 06:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I went to home depot today and put together a little fruiting chamber.

i bought a sterlite container, i dont feel like checking the measurements, but its about 3 feet high by 2 ft. wide.  i cut the lid and put some plexiglass in there and caulked it on and covered it with duct tape.  i drilled two light holders and put grow lights on them...the get too hot though, im going to have to get new bulbs.  i have 2 litter boxes that im using for the casings, they fit perfectly on the lip about half way up the container.  then underneath them, im going to get two more light fixtures and drill them into the sides, (and some perlite on the bottom). that way i can have more casings below that.  then maybe a fan in the side with filters to keep the air circulating.....pleaze tell me what you think.......  :tongue:
de-=-

and there goes my upload limit......i'll post the rest tomorrow. laterzzzz

de-=-

Edited by MsPacMan (10/20/02 08:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: fruiting chamber [Re: MsPacMan]
    #977710 - 10/20/02 06:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Those lights could be a problem, any incadescent that close could be a problem. They don't need that much light, only a little, and its only used for directional purposes, If it were my set up, i would take out the lights, but everything else looks good. Good Luck

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #977715 - 10/20/02 06:32 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Seems cool, but a bit of overkill with the lights. Remember, shrooms don't need light to grow, only to pin and know which direction to grow, and very little light is needed for that. The only light my shrooms get is ambient light from the room through a clear lid, and they do just fine.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: fruiting chamber [Re: StS]
    #977734 - 10/20/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Good deal guys.... i am going to chill on the lights a little bit, but they do provide some heat, which beats having to buy another aquarium heater. i just finished making my casing of cams on vermiculie and peat moss, so if all goes well i get to test out my new chamber....im a newbie, so this is all very exciting to me. my first grow, first chamber box....oh boy. laterzzzzz

de-=-

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #977743 - 10/20/02 06:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Exciting isn't it? :grin: Good luck.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#977770 - 10/20/02 06:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"i am going to chill on the lights a little bit, but they do provide some heat"

why would you wan't heat in your fruiting chamber? Is it that cold in your house?

P.S. did I hear that you have cambodians, good damn choice, so far those are my favorite. You will love them. Good luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: fruiting chamber [Re: Skikid16]
    #978095 - 10/20/02 08:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i live in florida and my roommates like to blast the AC. but......yea cambodians are the only ones i am having luck with. they colonize mad quick. the B+ are taking forever.....

thanks for the feed back

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#978141 - 10/20/02 09:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well if your roommates blast the AC, then you should have good fruiting temps, I mean unless they like it "ice skating rink cold". About the cambo's being good, I don't really mean the growth characteristics, I was referring to the trip, it is killer.

Usually people that have roommates are somewhat younger, and most of the time in college, so are you a gator, nole, or a damn hurricane? Good Luck

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflinebruisedBlue
nihilisticmystic
Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: MsPacMan]
    #978334 - 10/20/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I see potential for a minor problem here................
If the casings are resting directly on the lip of the container, directly touching the sides, you are going to have water dripping into your casings once they are uncovered for pinning and cropping. Even perlite humidification will generate enough drips on the walls of your sterlite for this to happen..............
I was gonna do the same thing.....with alum. pans which rested on the inner lip. Then i thought about the drip problem and decided to go with smaller casing trays.
I just use two .99c cinder blocks to raise the trays. But then again, this may not even be a real concern, i just wanted to play it safe..........

ps: I have heard that the aluminum baking pans deteriorate rather quickly so i lined mine with heavy duty packaging tape. I also did this because i didn't want a small furry woodland's animal's mushrooms to be eating aluminum. Don't think it's too healthy.

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: bruisedBlue]
    #978413 - 10/20/02 10:59 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

compact flouros and rest the casings on the floor so as to avoid the drip

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: bruisedBlue]
    #978424 - 10/20/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: matts]
    #978534 - 10/21/02 12:14 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"I also did this because i didn't want a small furry woodland's animal's mushrooms to be eating aluminum. Don't think it's too healthy"- what????

im not too worried about water dripping in, if it does i will cut up a sponge and put it on the lip of the boxes to catch what it can.

im 19yrs. old......

i think that does it for the q's.

i just did a myco bag tonight can't wait for that!!!
laterz

de-=-

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #979725 - 10/21/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

mycellium tends to eat through, or well eat away at alluminum. I still use it, i just throw em away after. Concerns some people though. Now i use rubbermaid "dishpans". They are the perfect depth/size for my uses.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflinebruisedBlue
nihilisticmystic
Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: matts]
    #980572 - 10/21/02 06:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Nice. I looked for something like that but the only ones i could find were clear.

OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Michigan
Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: Raadt]
    #980832 - 10/21/02 07:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Those rubbermaid dish pans rock, I found some small kitty litter pans which are just as good, but a bit cheaper.

--------------------
People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

Offlinefatesrush
The Count
    #981071 - 10/21/02 09:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I noticed that your trays rest on the indentions on the side of the container, with space below them. What you could do is lose the lights and fill the bottom with some water, get a fully submergable fish tank heater, set it around 80 degrees and use that as a heat source. what do ya think?

--------------------
How ya phillin'?

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: fatesrush]
    #981495 - 10/21/02 11:20 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Why would you want a heat source, in your fruiting chamber, especially set at 80, ideal fruiting temps are in the mid 70's, I mean 80 won't really do all that much damage, but there is no reason to. Just put some moist perlite in the bottom

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: fruiting chamber (pics) [Re: Skikid16]
    #982314 - 10/22/02 08:53 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i was thinking about putting perlite in the bottom, i have 2 cakes to put on top of it, there is just so much vertical space in this that i dont want to waste it all. i might drill some kind of shelving in the middle and put more casings, then do jars on the bottom. the lights cost a dollar each, not a big expense to put more lights on the side and bottom. i just have to buy the heatless lights.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#982719 - 10/22/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

What do you mean "then do jars on the bottom?" Do you mean having an incubation/fruiting chamber? If so, I would advise against this, you need different conditions for both.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix