Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Firefox, a substandard browser? Doesn't support basic internet standards?
    #9771238 - 02/10/09 11:41 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I got this message at wilely (publisher)'s website.

Quote:

The browser you are using to view this site does not support basic internet standards.

Upgrading to a newer or different browser (such as the latest versions of Netscape, Internet Explorer for Windows or Macintosh, or Opera) will improve your browsing experience on Wiley InterScience.com. However, it is not imperative that you upgrade immediately. This site will continue to function satisfactorily in your current browser, although the visual design may be sub-par.

What is this crap?  Is this true for firefox 3.0.5?  (yes I know there's a newer version out but I wait till the mood is right to update)

What makes me think it may not be:

1.  Never had any trouble with firefox except when I first started using it a while ago.
2.  Wilely is a terrible and evil company who should be sued and raided by college students till their blight on higher education is but a memory.

Anyone know if this is total bullshit or if firefox has some infirmity?  And no, you can't get any more info then in the above.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflinePlayDoh
>>> import this
Male User Gallery

Re: Firefox, a substandard browser? Doesn't support basic internet standards? [Re: johnm214]
    #9771315 - 02/10/09 12:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

100% False. That is just because of lazy or stupid developers. They either do browser checking wrong (i.e., based on the user agent and not on functionality) or code for just the masses and can't handle cross browser support. I have a feeling its a mix of the 2 based on "the visual design may be sub-par".

--------------------
'...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all
one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as
death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...'

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Firefox, a substandard browser? Doesn't support basic internet standards? [Re: PlayDoh]
    #9771521 - 02/10/09 12:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks.  I just wonder why they couldn't handle firefox?  Isn't this a major browser?  I mean more than opera certainly, and yet they recommend I use that instead...  And its not a problem with cookies to my knowledge cuz I'm logged in to them when I recieve that message.

Of course the company that does my school's online course websites (for online quizes, assignments, notes, et cet) says firefox isn't an "approved browser".  So maybe it isn't used all that much.  Every single time I log on to that service I get an "unapproved browser warning" popup window that tells me the site may not work correctly and that my browser may not handle cookies and other technical things correctly.  But I've been using firefox with that site for years and never had any problem.

Lazy developers sounds like a good answer.  This is teh same company that has a website where you have assignments for their physics textbooks and if you enter an answer with the correct amount of signifigant figures you'll get the wrong answer.

So it would totally fit if this was another of the many things Wilely has managed to fuck up.

Thanks again

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Firefox, a substandard browser? Doesn't support basic internet standards? [Re: johnm214]
    #9772724 - 02/10/09 05:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

No, that's just a very old message.
Quote:

Upgrading to a newer or different browser (such as the latest versions of Netscape, Internet Explorer for Windows or Macintosh, or Opera)

Firefox is the latest version of Netscape. And Internet Explorer for Macintosh was discontinued in 2003.

I think the message you are seeing is almost 10 years old. Strange, I've never seen that message on the Wiley site, and I use Firefox at home and at work.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #9773864 - 02/10/09 09:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://acid3.acidtests.org/

is a good test to see how much of the standards it follows...beats the shit out of IE thats for sure...i think chrome actually does the best, but since I don't have teh windows, i can't retest IE to see my score, nor can i test chrome...

I got 71/100 using firefox 3.0.5 x86_64.

peace

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: Firefox, a substandard browser? Doesn't support basic internet standards? [Re: supra]
    #9774034 - 02/10/09 09:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

71 on firefox, 78 on chrome but it failed the linktest (whatever that is). IE could barely load it lol.

OfflinePlayDoh
>>> import this
Male User Gallery

Re: Firefox, a substandard browser? Doesn't support basic internet standards? [Re: JT]
    #9778787 - 02/11/09 04:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
'...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all
one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as
death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals