Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: I Need Help Updating The Ethnobotanical Garden FAQ's. [Re: ethnoguy]
    #9784983 - 02/12/09 01:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'll just do what i said then, considering i have no idea what you are talking about :laugh:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: I Need Help Updating The Ethnobotanical Garden FAQ's. [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #9784993 - 02/12/09 01:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:coleman:

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

Loc: Luxury
    #9785375 - 02/12/09 03:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wouldn't linking it to a different part of the same thread
make it harder to edit and add more?

Maybe not

--------------------

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #9785415 - 02/12/09 03:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

...I just realized I've been doing this so long, I dont know whats common knowledge, and whats not :p

I'm manually pillaging the e.com forums...  I'll drop a huge brick of links saturday I think.  Hope you're ready to organize this shit Uare, cause I comfortably spend 8-10 hours a day reading anything I can get my hands on...  speaking of which :p    List of unusual wikipedia articles

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: I Need Help Updating The Ethnobotanical Garden FAQ's. [Re: Big L]
    #9785472 - 02/12/09 03:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Big L said:
Wouldn't linking it to a different part of the same thread
make it harder to edit and add more?

i don't think so, it would be similar to how wikipedia has a content list near the top of any page and you can click a link there and automatically jump to the correct section below.

the first post in the thread would look something like this:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9785857 - 02/12/09 04:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

owned  :bitchslap:

--------------------

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9791211 - 02/13/09 04:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

EXAMPLE:

Quote:

Ethnobotanical Garden FAQ v1.1 beta 2009
Contributions: Entheomation, Neuro, Salvia England, Dr. uarewotueat.

this document is currently being updated.
if you feel that there is any information missing which you would like to be added or any errors with information contained within the FAQ,
please contact one of the ethnobotanical garden moderators.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USEFUL/INFORMATIVE/INTERESTING POSTS/LINKS.

BOTANICAL TERMS.

PLANT HARDINESS ZONES.

FLOWER STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION.

obviously there will be many more links in the original post when i am done.

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9795113 - 02/14/09 11:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Any room in there for sections on mychorriza or aquaponics?
I could provide tons of information on both of them

--------------------

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9795419 - 02/14/09 12:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yep, any info that anyone can pull out of the search engine would be greatly appreciated :yesnod:

all i've done so far is split it down into sections so that the existing info is more readable/accessible, and much easier for me to edit and add to also.

now i'll start working on the actual content :strokebeard:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9825304 - 02/19/09 09:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I pm'ed you my notes on Biogeochemical cycles and
mycorrhizal fungi

Cut them up and add/delete what you want

*edit can't pm files

fuck it

--------------------

Edited by Big L (02/19/09 09:18 AM)

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9825325 - 02/19/09 09:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Biogeochemical Cycles: Carbon, Sulfur and Nitrogen

Biogeochemical cycling: Exchange of elements via biotic and abiotic positions of biosphere. Just as there are central metabolic pathways in cells, there are central pathways through which materials flow through ecosystems.

Carbon Cycle

Carbon dioxide occurs principally in the atmosphere. The autotrophic metabolism of photosynthetic and chemolithotrophic microbes is responsible for primary production, conversion of CO2 to organic carbon. Once carbon is fixed (reduced) into organic compounds, it can be transferred from population to population within biological community, supporting growth of heterotrophs.

Production of methane by a specialized group of methanogenic Archaebacteria represents a shunt to the normal cycling of carbon because the methane produced cannot be used by most heterotrophic microbes and thus is lost from biological community to the atmosphere. Burning of fossil fuels has increased C02 levels in atmosphere leading to phenomenon known as the greenhouse effect.

Methanobacterium, Methanococcus, and Methanospirillum

Trophic relationships

Autotrophs (primary producers) take C02 to organic carbon = gross primary production.

Part of gross primary production to C02, by respiration of primary producers which leaves = net primary production available for heterotrophic consumers (in terrestrial and aquatic habitats).

Food web = integrated feeding structure composed of transfer of energy stored in organic compounds between organisms of the community.

The feeding relationships between organisms establish the trophic structure; routes by which energy and materials are transferred out of an ecosystem.

Grazers

Predators

Decomposers (Note: various synthetic compounds, such as DDT, may be recalcitrant, that is completely resistant to enzymatic degradation.)  Many modern problems relating to accumulation of environmental pollutants reflect the inability of microbes to degrade rapidly enough the concentrated wastes of industrialized societies. Microbes are very important for Bioremediation of these recalcitrant molecules!

Sulfur Cycle

Important in amino acids/disulfide bridges in proteins and as final e- acceptor during anaerobic respiration.

Under aerobic conditions: formation of S04
Under anaerobic conditions: formation of H2S

(A) Aerobic Conditions

1. So to S2032- to S032+ to S042- Chemolithotrophic sulfur oxidizers (e.g. Thiobacillus).

2. H2S to S042- Chemolithotrophic aerobic respiration
Thiobacillus.

(B) Anaerobic Conditions

1. H2S to So  Photosynthetic sulfur bacteria
Beggiatoa and Thiothrix

2. S042- to H2S Dissimilatory sulfate reduction
(anaerobic respiration) Desulfovibrio
important corrosion problem

3. S042 to organic sulfur  Sulfate assimilation
H2S to organic sulfur Sulfate assimilation

4. organic sulfur to H2S Desulfuration
occurs in organically rich soils

H2S is very toxic to most biological systems; it can also react with metals to form insoluble metallic sulfides.

Nitrogen Cycle

Nitrogen important in synthesis of amino acids/proteins and aminated sugars (cell wall synthesis), and nucleic acids.

Carbon, hydrogen and oxygen actively cycled by microbes, plants and animals; biogeochemical cycling of nitrogen is dependent on microbes.

A. Nitrogen Fixation

N2 to NH3 or organic nitrogen and H2.

Restricted to limited number of bacteria; no plants or animals can use atmospheric nitrogen directly.

Microbes annually convert 200 million metric tons nitrogen to fixed nitrogen; compared to 30 million tons produced by industry for fertilizers (Habaer-Bosch process).

Fixation of atmospheric nitrogen depends on the nitrogenase enzyme system: nitrogenase and nitrogen reductase .

Active site of nitrogenase is associated with molybdenum.

Nitrogenase is very sensitive to oxygen and is irreversibly inactivated upon exposure to very low concentrations.  Nitrogenase is protected in root nodule system by the red pigment leghemoglobin, which supplies oxygen to organisms for respiration without denaturing the nitrogenase.

Nitrogen fixation requires 30 ATP/N2 fixed; so need high input of energy.

1. Soil: Free living N2 fixation = Associative N2-fixation

Rate of N2 fixation 2-3 orders lower than symbiotic N2 - fixers (e.g. Azotobacter produces 2.5 kg N fixed/hectare per year compared to 250 kg/hect fixed by Sinorhizobium on alfalfa).

Azotobacter have exceptionally high respiratory rates, far in excess of those of all other aerobic bacteria, and this may prevent molecular oxygen from reaching and inactivating the oxygen-sensitive nitrogenase

Azotobacter produce resting cells: cysts.

Free-living N-fixers: Azotobacter, Azomonas and Derxia are in temperate, neutral to alkaline soils; Beijerinckia, more acid tolerant, tropical regions.

Use acetylene (triple bond like N2) reduction to assay:
acetylene to ethylene; which is easily detectable by gas chromatography.

2. Soil: Symbiotic N2-fixation

Note: if high N concentration in soil, nodulation inhibited.

Symbiotic relationship between members of bacterial genera Rhizobium, Bradyrhizobium, Sinorhizobium, Azorhizobium, and Mesorhizobium with leguminous plants is of extreme importance in maintaining soil fertility.

Those bacteria invade roots of plants, leading to formation of nodules, within which bacteria fix N2.

Bradyrhizobium nodulate soybeans, lupines, cowpeas and variety of tropical legumes; slow growing.

Rhizobium nodulate peas, clover and variety of temperate zone; faster growing.

Specific association of plant and microbe:

(a) Plant secretes amino acids and flavanoids that attract bacteria.

(b) Flavanoid stimulates bacteria to produce sugar-rich messenger-Nod factor that induces root cells to divide and form nodules. Binding of bacteria to receptors (lectins) on plant root hairs and by bacterial rhicadhesin proteins.

(c) Activity of plant growth substances, leading to curling and branching of rootlets (Shepherd's crook).

(d) Bacteria prod root hairs to form tunnel-like infection threads, and carbohydrates on bacteria enable Rhizobium to pass through the tunnels into root cells.

(e) Development of infection thread.

(f) Transformation of plant cells to form tumorous growth.

(g) Multiplication of bacteria within nodule.

(h) Transformation of bacteria (prompted by plant signal) into pleomorphic bacteroids and symbiosomes.

Bacteroids/Symbiosomes contain nitrogenase, free-living Rhizobia do not.

Plants provide organic carbon compounds for generation of ATP by bacteria.

Leghemoglobin supplies oxygen, and maintains it in low concentration not to inhibit nitrogenase; therefore, critical because oxygen is both required and inhibitory to N2-fixation!

Cyanobacteria and actinomycetes also enter into symbiotic relationship with non-leguminous plants, resulting in formation of nodules and N2 fixation.

Frankia alni infects alder trees.

Nitrogen fixers are important because don't have to add as much fertilizer to leguminous crops.

Have isolated strains of Rhizobia that are capable of high rates of N2 fixation.

Survive in soil for many years in absence of specific host.

Ubiquitous

3. Aquatic N2 fixation ......Blue-Green Bacteria

Cyanobacteria, such as Anabaena and Nostoc, are important nitrogen fixers.

Distributed in both marine and freshwater.

Couple ability to produce ATP from light energy and organic matter from C02 reduction with ability to fix N2 to form nitrogen-containing organic compounds.

Nitrogenase enzyme system is usually protected by thick-walled heterocysts where oxygen evolving photosynthesis does not occur.

Epiphytic cyanobacteria associated with arctic masses are most important nitrogen fixers in high Arctic ecosystem.

Nitrogen Cycle

B. Ammonification  (Nitrogen Reduction)

Conversion of organic nitrogen compounds (decomposition of proteins) into NH3 or NH4+.

Many microbes capable

Deaminases are important enzyme, which transfer N from organic to inorganic forms.

NH4+ can be assimilated by many microbes to continue through nitrogen cycle; somewhat stable because doesn't leach well through soil, which is negatively charged.

Many bad odors produced!

C. Nitrification  (Nitrogen Oxidation)

Relatively few microbes capable.

Ammonium ions (oxidation level = -3) are initially oxidized to nitrite ions (oxidation level = +3) and subsequently to nitrate ions (oxidation level = +5).

Example of aerobic respiration.

Chemolithotrophs; use nitrogen as e- acceptor

NH3 to N02  Nitrosomonas, dominant genus in soil

N02 to N03  Nitrobacter, dominant genus in soil

Because relatively few bacteria conduct nitrification, this process is particularly sensitive to environmental stress (inhibitors:  toxic chemicals, low oxygen from addition of too much organic material).

Mobilize nitrogen because net negative charge which is not tightly bound by negatively charged soil.

So is important source of nitrogen for growth of plants.

High concentrations of N03 and N02 in water pose a serious human health hazard. Bacteria in well water convert nitrate to nitrite which interferes with hemoglobin ability to ferry oxygen in bloodstream of baby’s. Usually effects children under 3 months of age (or elderly) and leads to oxygen-starved “blue baby” syndrome. Usually doesn't occur in adults because of low pH of gut. These nitrogen compounds also react with amino acids and/or converted by intestinal microbes to nitrosamines (through digestion of red meats) which are carcinogens. However, nitrates ingested within moderation are beneficial (see Staphylococcus sciuri, Lecture 20).

Why are nitrates/nitrites added to meats? One reason is inhibit Clostridium botulinum. Also,
NO reacts with myoglobin to produce nitrosomyoglobin (red).
O2 reacts with myoglobin to produce oxymyoglobin (brown).

Problem in groundwater in high agricultural areas from fertilizer run-off.

Plants prefer nitrate. If add ammonia fertilizer then soil microbes (and plants) must convert to nitrate for root uptake.

D. Denitrification  (Nitrogen Reduction)

Conversion of fixed nitrogen to molecular nitrogen, is another important, albeit undesirable, process.

Some aerobic bacteria use N03 in place of 02 as final e- acceptor to conduct N03 to N2. Use dissimilatory nitrate reductase.

Also known as dissimilatory nitrate reduction.

Not agreeable to growers!

Return of N2 to atmosphere (away from organisms) and completes the nitrogen cycle.

Many use N03 and N02 as hydrogen acceptors.

Phosphorus cycle
Normally occurs as phosphate ion

Phosphorus cycle represents physical movement of phosphorus without alteration of oxidation level.

Important as energy source (ATP) and in DNA and RNA.

If excess phosphorus (e.g. waste-water containing phosphates which lower foaming) is added to phosphate-limited aquatic habit, may result in Eutrophication.  Have algal and cyanobacteria bloom; death; decomposition utilizing up all oxygen by microbes; result in major fish kill.

--------------------

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9825328 - 02/19/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Mycorrhizal Fungi

Mutualistic relationship between fungi and plants: Mycorrhizae.

Mycorrhizal fungi form a mutualistic association with plants and function similarly to root hairs, providing increased nutrient and moisture uptake to the plant; and also contribute to aggregation of soil; protect roots from plant pathogens Fusarium, Pythium, and Phytopthora.

Mycorrhizal fungi uptake and concentrate phosphorus; obtain organic carbon sources from plant host.

If high phosphorus concentration in soil then inhibits mycorrhizal symbiosis.

Three major types of mycorrhizal fungi: (based on how hyphae are arranged in cortical tissue):

1. Endomycorrhizae: Vesicular-Arbuscular Mycorrhizae (VAM)

2. Ectomycorrhizae

3. Ect-Endomycorrhizae

(A) Endomycorrhizal Fungi (VAM)

Roots externally appear similar to non-mycorrhizal roots.

Subdivision: Zygomycotina; family: Endogenaceae

Specialized feeding hyphae within root cells (arbuscules or haustoria); also form large swollen hyphae called vesicles.

Produce zygospores called chlamydospores out in soil rhizosphere.

Produced on most native and cultivated plants (dicots and monocots).

Not host specific

Glomus intradices, G. deserticola, Endogene lactiflua

Obligate mutualist of plants. Commercially produced in living plants or callus tissue (e.g. RootBoost).

Show my work with Army Corps. of Engineers.

(B) Ectomycorrhizal Fungi

Roots are swollen, and in some cases, considerably more forked than non-mycorrhizal roots.

Primarily formed on forest trees by mushroom- and puffball-producing basidiomycetes and several ascomycetes.

Hyphae form thick mantle around outside of root.

Enter roots, but only grow around cortical cells.

Pisolithus tinctorus forms ectomycorrhizal association with conifers. Have utilized this fungus to enable pines to grow on mine spoil sites.

Ubiquitous; can culture in artificial media.

Sold commercially as spore inoculum or already infected seedlings; easy to collect yourself!

Specific for certain hosts.

(C) Ectendomycorrhizae

Intermediate between two other types.

Obligate mutualist

Rhizoctonia spp.; however, many species not identified.

Found in blueberry family (Ericaceae) and orchids.

Host specific

--------------------

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9825375 - 02/19/09 09:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'm glad you posted, because i completely forgot that i was supposed to be doing this :rofl2:

i added a section for mycorrhiza the other day anyway, i'll add some of this additional info in there too :yesnod:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9825385 - 02/19/09 09:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. uarewotueat said:
i completely forgot that i was supposed to be doing this :rofl2:

:gethigh:

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9825388 - 02/19/09 09:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hell Yeah :thumbup:

How about when it comes to nitrogen fixation, explaining that its mostly unnecessary. IDK how, but its become a pet peev of mine. :lol:

EG

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9825423 - 02/19/09 09:43 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My last botany class' final was writing every process involved in
nitrogen fixation. equations, bacteria species, even how the plants use it. 
:suicide:

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9825434 - 02/19/09 09:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Paste it :wink:. And I do believe that it has its benefits, but with plants in the Mimosa genus, its just plain overkill.

EG

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9825442 - 02/19/09 09:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well there is a section for nitrogen fixing bacteria already, so no need to post that :wink:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9825457 - 02/19/09 09:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No shit? Well I need to finish giving ppl negative ratings for the day and go check it out.

EG

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

#9825470 - 02/19/09 09:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i don't have it. It was hand written and i don't think i got it back

That class was tough :brucelee:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract