Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelotuskid
Even Stranger than Strange
bee pollen ?
    #9768180 - 02/09/09 08:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So i was trying to brew up hippies supercakes but when I bought the bee pollen I thought I bought capsules as in gel caps, but came home to open them and find that they are tablet capsules?
My question is can I crush these up and use them as normal?
The only reason I even feel it necessary to ask is because it contains the following extraneous ingredients:
microcrystalline cellulose
dicalcium phosphate
stearic acid
magnesium stearate
riboflavin
pharmaceutical glaze
and silica.
listed in that order and I assume that its listed like all other ingredients where the most abundant one listed first, least last and what not...
so ya, what say you?
Should I use it or find pure pollen powder?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (02/09/09 08:07 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: lotuskid] * 1
    #9768277 - 02/09/09 08:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think you should just skip the bee pollen.  Fist, it's of dubious value in mushroom growing anyway, but second and most important, stealing the pollen from the bees is contributing to colony collapse disorder, and we need to do everything we can to eliminate the market for bee pollen, before there's no more bees.  They use the pollen to feed their young and the queen, while they make honey from nectar.  Let them keep the pollen.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: bee pollen ? (moved) [Re: lotuskid]
    #9768289 - 02/09/09 08:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Off topic in advanced mycology.

Offlinelotuskid
Re: bee pollen ? (moved) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9768353 - 02/09/09 08:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hm. well I was unaware that our harvest was causing problems to bee populations but then I can't really think of anytime human intervention was 100% benign..

and for clarity's sake: How is a question about substrate supplementation off topic to advanced mycology?
Quote:

this forum is dedicated to the discussion of experimental procedures, advanced cultivation techniques and mushroom science.

Does the use of bee pollen not fall into this category?

Offlinelotuskid
    #9785281 - 02/12/09 02:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

really? you're just gunna ignore the question completely?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9785840 - 02/12/09 04:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't normally like to repeat answers previously given, just because you don't accept it the first time.  I said bee pollen was of dubious value.  I've used it before with no noticeable effect.

If you had continued your cut and paste of Advanced Forum Guidelines, you'd have found why your thread was politely moved.  I'll put it in bold for ya.

Quote:

2) This forum is for the discussion of advanced techniques and experimental procedures. This forum is NOT a support forum, for problems with your grows. Any posts regarding your PF Cakes, a species which has been cultivated ad nauseam, grain ratios, contaminated grows, how to prepare dung, or anything else which has been covered in the forum, etc... will be moved immediately upon review - so please, do not waste the resources, time, or bandwidth of the shroomery.

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinelotuskid
    #9800231 - 02/15/09 12:00 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

actually I cut and pasted from the forum menu, and what you just pasted was not included in the blurb.
I still don't get where my post fits into the exclusion other than apparently if it's something you've tried and doesn't work then it's not allowed to be advanced... :?:
don't worry about repeating yourself again though, or dumbing down your language... cause I'm much too simple to ever understand.... but hey, thanks for all the great info you've provided. :/

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
    #9800503 - 02/15/09 12:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I would make sure you test the PH of the media before sterilizing, none of those ingredients would kill the myc, but they might throw your PH off a little. Who knows, maybe the mag. and ribo. will generate improved growth. I have a little experiment with whey protein going on right now, and it seems to be a doing just as good if not better than my control (BRF-PF TEK).

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

Offlinelotuskid
Re: bee pollen ? (moved) [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9801022 - 02/15/09 03:25 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i figured i might see growth from the ribo as well but hadn't really considered the mag.
I have gotten great results from soy.
If you've yet to try that just regular old soy sauce added to a grain soak works wonders or even better there's a stuff by a company called Bragg's named Liquid Aminos and it's just that... amino isolates from soy protein.
Great stuff. I've halved colonization times with it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9801849 - 02/15/09 10:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lotuskid said:

I still don't get where my post fits into the exclusion other than apparently if it's something you've tried and doesn't work then it's not allowed to be advanced... :?:

In the advanced mycology forum, there is a sticky called, "Forum Guidelines". You'll find it at the very top of the page.

I can't dumb it down any more, so I'll post it here for your benefit.  Your thread dealt with pf cakes, which is covered in item 2 of the forum guidelines.  You seriously need to stop being butthurt that your thread was moved to the appropriate forum and your question properly answered.
RR

Quote:

Advanced Mycology Forum Guidelines

1) Please be respectful to other users in this forum, we will not tolerate flaming, not for any reason - the post will be closed, and appropriate actions will be taken against the user involved.

2) This forum is for the discussion of advanced techniques and experimental procedures. This forum is NOT a support forum, for problems with your grows. Any posts regarding your PF Cakes, a species which has been cultivated ad nauseam, grain ratios, contaminated grows, how to prepare dung, or anything else which has been covered in the forum, etc... will be moved immediately upon review - so please, do not waste the resources, time, or bandwidth of the shroomery.

3) Use the SEARCH feature. This is one of the most comprehensive methods of finding if something has been posted, please use a little bit of creativity in your searches, and append all words which you think you may be able to find posts regarding your subject. It's a very simple and helpful tool. The search engine GOOGLE also has a lot of information.

4) No thread hijacking! - We request that people please be respectful of others threads, and do not change the subject of it. If someone is discussing something that does not interest you, yet provokes a different idea, rather than changing the subject of their thread, start your own! It makes things much easier to categorize and archive.

5) Please do not ressurect dead threads - Along with the search feature being an excellent tool, it also allows you to revive threads days, months, weeks, and years old. So please, be careful of what you're reposting. If you have something to add to the thread, by all means do so! But please be careful in not posting little 1 or 2 line responses like "good idea" to something that has been in the graveyard for 2 years.

6) Please read the FAQ if you ask a question which is covered within the FAQ, your thread will be moved, it's a good read, and contains a LOT of VERY valuable information, I would say it's about as necessary a read as the mushroom cultivator. So please, read this - it helps everyone.

7) Spelling - In order to keep this forum as smoothly running as possible, we request that people familliarize themselves with the correct spellings and terms applicable in mycology, if you're unfamilliar with mycology terms, most likely your post doesn't belong here, if you're just a poor speller, or forgot something - there is an index of terms located HERE and ALSO HERE , thank you.

8) NO OFF TOPICS - no threads that do not pertain to experimentation or advanced mushroom cultivation techniques. This includes threads that begin "what would you do with..." "where can i get some...", there are exceptions, but it must be warranted.

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinelotuskid
    #9811979 - 02/17/09 12:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

noones butthurt. you should be less focused on flexing your mod muscle and realize I've moved on and begun discussing this topic with someone actually interested in it.

fltdriver82 : I plan on crushing it up and using it as prescribed and spawning a solid supercake with some established myc via g2g and simultaneously spawning a supercake with no pollen and seeing how that goes. If there's any problems with colonization in the pollen jar it would be logical to infer that something combined with it inhibited growth. And if it works better or equal to w/out then I'll just use what I have left. Hopefully it works equally else I may be tempted to start a bee colony lol :devil:

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9812240 - 02/17/09 01:53 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck, it will be interesting to see what the extra's in the tablets will do since apparently the pollen factor has already been explored. If you post a log in your journal I will be sure to check it out from time to time. I wonder if pollen from European bees is the same as pollen collected from Africanized bees, also if there is a way to tell which bees your pollen came from. As for starting your own bee colony it could be a fun hobby with sweet rewards, I do agree with RR on suffering bee pop's though- between wax worms and the fast migration of the Africanized species our European bee population has become endangered. Though I'm pretty sure that any pollen collected and sold was harvested by beekeepers in a safe and non-intrusive manor. I don't know of any farmer (bee or otherwise) that would endanger his hive (flock, heard, etc.).

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Offlinelotuskid
Re: bee pollen ? (moved) [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9817152 - 02/17/09 09:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yea. i would think they do because the bottle says:

Quote:

Manufactured with LOVE :heart: by
Natural Organics Laboratories, Inc.

lol the heart is included in that sentence on the product no bullshit.
as to what kind of pollen it is, the big label says Spanish Bee Pollen but the ingredients list that said unit dosage only lists it as "bee pollen".
but yea, I just have too many projects going on. Besides I don't think the people that run my apt's would appreciate me starting a bee colony anywhere on their property :lol:

I do need to start a log of my projects... I just have no camera cause I cant find the fucking charger and I know every time I read a log with no photo's I always think "pictures or it didn't happen." :clown: but i got shiitakes started and about to knock some maitakes and another four jars worth of rye is ready to be boiled/strained/pc'd I've just been lazy today...

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9817214 - 02/17/09 09:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: West coast Flag
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9817316 - 02/17/09 09:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I think you should just skip the bee pollen.  Fist, it's of dubious value in mushroom growing anyway, but second and most important, stealing the pollen from the bees is contributing to colony collapse disorder, and we need to do everything we can to eliminate the market for bee pollen, before there's no more bees.  They use the pollen to feed their young and the queen, while they make honey from nectar.  Let them keep the pollen.
RR

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Re: bee pollen ? [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #9817341 - 02/17/09 10:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

^^^ Wow, how long did it take you to come up with that response? I'm so glad that Johnny came along and clarified this point. Good job.

2 lotus: just type them up for now and get pic's whenever. It is easier to record as you do something rather than trying to remember what you did.

And so no one else feels the need to comment about the pollen. Read the thread.

Also do some research. I did. The pollen that is collected and sold to the public is procured by beekeepers. Some dude isn't going out with a jar a robbing wild bees. I'm pretty fucking sure that the beekeeper has a good knowledge of how much pollen he can take without affecting his hives.

Nuff Said.

Yes, pollen has been tried before. But not the capsules with the extra ingredients listed above.

If you don't have anything to add don't post a quote.

Here quote this  :flipthebird:

Offlinelotuskid
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9817409 - 02/17/09 10:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

haha thanks driver, I'll get to typing, but the woman wants to use the computer so I may not be able to get it posted tonight... :/

and yea that's what I figured. It's like every other domesticated enterprise. To suggest we shouldn't take pollen from cultivated bees is like saying we shouldn't take fruit-bodies from the mushrooms we propagate...

Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
    #9817780 - 02/17/09 11:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ok....what are you pissy about....because he said pollen is crap for grows?? or is it the bee population?, which we are all worried about. or because i agreed with him in general??  :archiebunker:

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Re: bee pollen ? [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #9817798 - 02/17/09 11:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i agree with bee's being endangered right now, I don't agree with you just repeating what he said. If you don't have anything to add to the conversation then don't start repeating what someone else has already said.
RR made a valid point. You, on the other hand, just repeated-nothing new, no opinions, not even a smiley.

So my question to you is why did you feel the need to speak up when you couldn't come up with anything to say????????????

--------------------

Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
    #9817843 - 02/17/09 11:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you posted on a public forum, which people all over the fucking world read! i agreed with what he said, so i quoted him. dont be whiney, my opinion was i agree w/ rr. and you got it......bee killer.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules