Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

Loc: Ry'leh
Brown Rice Tek gone wrong?
    #9754902 - 02/07/09 01:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Twelve days ago I began colonizing my culture jars using the BR tek, no verm or anything else added but long grain BR. The mycelium appeared within two days in each jar, but since then the growth seems to have stalled out. Im working with very wet, mushy rice here, and there is condensation on the sides of the jars. Im using the B+ and Penis envy strains. The penis envy strains appear to be showing more mycelium than the other jars.

Does anyone have any experience with this Tek? Am I being too impatient? When should I just throw in the towel? Better yet, does anyone know if there are any ways to remedy the situation?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: Brown Rice Tek gone wrong? [Re: RandallFlagg]
    #9754914 - 02/07/09 01:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well... PE generally goes slower than other strains just to start out. And your "very wet, mushy rice" should not be very wet nor mushy. How much water did you add in your preperation? Did water get in the jars while PC?

Too much water=bad ... even if its just a LITTLE bit too much (in my own experience)

EDIT: BR tek meaning brown rice tek? I just assumed you meant BRF but now that i read you didnt add any verm i have no idea what your talking about or why your doing it. But... too much water is still bad regardless of what your doing. Maybe give us some more details as to what you have done leading up until now

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

My Growlog with Redboy,Amazon,and Brazilian

Edited by xswaveyx (02/07/09 01:15 PM)

OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

Re: Brown Rice Tek gone wrong? [Re: xswaveyx]
    #9755466 - 02/07/09 03:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

xswaveyx said:
Well... PE generally goes slower than other strains just to start out. And your "very wet, mushy rice" should not be very wet nor mushy. How much water did you add in your preperation? Did water get in the jars while PC?

Too much water=bad ... even if its just a LITTLE bit too much (in my own experience)

EDIT: BR tek meaning brown rice tek? I just assumed you meant BRF but now that i read you didnt add any verm i have no idea what your talking about or why your doing it. But... too much water is still bad regardless of what your doing. Maybe give us some more details as to what you have done leading up until now

What I'm doing is here.  http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mus02.htm

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9755964 - 02/07/09 05:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:

Put your brown rice into the blender, now its brown rice flour.
Buy vermiculite
Do PF tek

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

#9756223 - 02/07/09 06:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

xswaveyx said:
Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:

Buy vermiculite
Do PF tek

If you had no information on what I am doing, you never should have bothered to reply.  If you don't agree with my technique, move on to somebody else's post and waste their time.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#9756687 - 02/07/09 07:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This is what you are looking for

otherwise, you can take a look at the 9er Tek

it says 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice.  i think i've herd 1:1 too though, so i'm not 100% sure.

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Re: Brown Rice Tek gone wrong? [Re: RedDevil420]
    #9756831 - 02/07/09 08:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:fuckyou:  Im the only one who even replied before red. Fuck yourself. Your tek is shit- thats why it didnt work.Nice attitude for a newcomer

--------------------

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#9759019 - 02/08/09 07:13 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

dude simmer.. he obviously doesn't want to do the PF tek.  and you did flat out say you dont understand his wuestion.. so you shouldnt have tried to answer it.

you want the water content just before where you would eat the rice, so around al dente i would think.
you may have to play around with it a LOT before you figure out the correct water content, this is why it is not recommended for beginners. 
The PF tek is proven and reliable, and for that reason is recommended for first timers.

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

OfflineChoking victim
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9759239 - 02/08/09 08:54 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here, here! I doth concur with the devil in red!

Al Dente is key, You could take a 5 gallon bucket with rice in it and a couple gallons of boiling water,
then add the water to the bucket cover it and stir it occasionally. It works on the WBS, why not the rice also?

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9759667 - 02/08/09 10:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RedDevil420 said:
dude simmer.. he obviously doesn't want to do the PF tek.  and you did flat out say you dont understand his wuestion.. so you shouldnt have tried to answer it.

you want the water content just before where you would eat the rice, so around al dente i would think.
you may have to play around with it a LOT before you figure out the correct water content, this is why it is not recommended for beginners. 
The PF tek is proven and reliable, and for that reason is recommended for first timers.

Negative.

He bashed me because he is using a shotty tek. Nobody else will reply because... he is a noob sticking to his shotty tek and ignoring the REAL help that hes being given when told to ditch it and move on to PROVEN methods (pf tek). Nobody will help you if your gonna be a cocky asshole for no reason.

Try including more info next time.

or finding another place to be an asshole.OTD will tear you a new one

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9759736 - 02/08/09 11:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:

I just read that so-called 'tek' and can only conclude it was either written by someone who had never grown mushrooms, or by a total moron that doesn't mind a 99% failure rate.  If you want to ask about that tek, ask on the site that hosts it.

Our members here have much better ways to grow that will give a higher success rate. Don't flame people for pointing you in the right direction.  Nobody is going to help with a 'tek' that calls for way too much water and no jar filters.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblechef Jay
Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treasure Coast
    #9759786 - 02/08/09 11:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

so I just tried the all  br no verm tec and I used 1-1 rice to water.  I tried the 1-1 1/2 but it was too mushy.  Mushy rice is not good.  you want it under cooked so when you pc it it will not over cook and break down.  the rice should be light and fluffy with plenty of air gaps in the cakes.  you really want to fluff the rice and let all the extra moisture evaporate.  I laid it out on a tray when it was done cooking to spread it out and let the steam evaporate.  this helps the rice not to be mushy. then fill your jars and lightly settle the rice but make sure it is not packed in at all.  and there should never be a sign of rice and starch and water sicking to the bottom that is a sight of wet rot and those cakes are probably garbage.  sorry :thumbdown:

when you cook your rice make sure you use 1 to 1 water to rice. rinse the rice before cooking. boil the water first then add the rice. reduce heat to a simmer and set your timer for 20 min then check the rice.  it should not be done yet but check to see how much water is left because the rice is done when the water is gone.  it should be slightly under cooked in the center.  lay out on a cookie sheet and fluff with a fork.  let cool. :thumbup:

--------------------
Everything I say is a work of Fiction and should not be taken seriously

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Re: Brown Rice Tek gone wrong? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9759863 - 02/08/09 11:49 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:

I just read that so-called 'tek' and can only conclude it was either written by someone who had never grown mushrooms, or by a total moron that doesn't mind a 99% failure rate.  If you want to ask about that tek, ask on the site that hosts it.

Our members here have much better ways to grow that will give a higher success rate. Don't flame people for pointing you in the right direction.  Nobody is going to help with a 'tek' that calls for way too much water and no jar filters.
RR

:smirk:

--------------------

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9759961 - 02/08/09 12:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:
Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:

Buy vermiculite
Do PF tek

If you had no information on what I am doing, you never should have bothered to reply.  If you don't agree with my technique, move on to somebody else's post and waste their time.

Well the best you can do with those jars is wait and see how many of them come out alright. Opening the jars to fix water content at this point in time would contaminate them. In the mean time, start up some brf cakes or jars of grainspawn. www.mushroomvideos.com is a good place to see it demonstrated in videos. There are pictorial teks on this site that demonstrate how to make grain spawn (wbs, rye - you can use popcorn but its a last resort). Doing BRF in big ass quart jars is going to take way too long to colonize. By the time the BR jars you made are done, you could create, colonize, spawn, and fruit several bran new grainspawn jars.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Edited by Stimpy913 (02/08/09 12:10 PM)

OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

Re: Brown Rice Tek gone wrong? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9759982 - 02/08/09 12:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:

RR

OK, I used a bad tek, should I throw everything out now?  Or wait a little longer to see if it works?

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#9760278 - 02/08/09 01:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

if its mushy, it won't work.  too much water and it won't finish, and thats not just a chance of not finishing.  you want the rice firm to the tooth (al dente)  but a little harder than where you would eat it.

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

OfflineRandallFlagg
Learn to swim
Male

#9760299 - 02/08/09 01:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

xswaveyx said:
Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:

Buy vermiculite
Do PF tek

I've decided to abandon this method in favor of the PF Tek.  The "Tek" I was using does suck, and should not be used by anyone under any circumstances.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#9760385 - 02/08/09 01:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the rice tek does work if done correctly, but good idea.  the PF tek is a proven method, especially if you have a PC as steam sterilizing is a little iffy in my opinion.

i just got germination on some rice actually, and it seems to be speading faster than my PF did.

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9760935 - 02/08/09 03:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:
Quote:

TheBigLebowski said:
Quote:

xswaveyx said:

Buy vermiculite
Do PF tek

I've decided to abandon this method in favor of the PF Tek.  The "Tek" I was using does suck, and should not be used by anyone under any circumstances.

:lecture: Thanks for coming back to class

--------------------

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#9761360 - 02/08/09 04:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RedDevil420 said:
This is what you are looking for

otherwise, you can take a look at the 9er Tek

it says 1 1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice.  i think i've herd 1:1 too though, so i'm not 100% sure.

these teks are still good btw, they work well..  i'd use equal parts water and rice though

--------------------
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds