Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRoger Fudd
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Inner Solar System
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9752749 - 02/06/09 10:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
Quote:

He's gonna come down and tell us off for using honey or karo in our LCs instead of just water.

not to thread jack but WHAT?  just water?  am I missing something?

Quote:
RogerRabbit said:
Just a note here regarding this horrible LC fad people are doing. If you had used your syringe to inoculate jars of grains, you'd be very close to fruiting mushrooms by now, OR the jars would have turned green and you'd know there was a problem, which you can't see in LC.

You can use 9/10 of a jar of rye grain to lay in a tray for casing, then use the other 1/10 of the jar to make 20 or more mycelium syringes. Simply pour a pint(or more) of sterilized, distilled water into the jar that is 1/10 full of colonized grains. Shake well, then draw the solution into syringes. This procedure gives a very fast method of getting liquid mycelium syringes and fruits at the same time. Simply squirting spores into sugar water is a very poor and inefficient method of making liquid culture syringes and is drastically slowing down the progress of everyone using it. There's far better methods.
RR

This is what he said in another post. Sorry for any confusion:rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: Roger Fudd]
    #9752770 - 02/06/09 10:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting.

I had always thought contamination was easy to see in an LC.

I can see the logic of his thinking there too. It skips a step and makes foreign organisms easier to identify.

The only time I've had bad LC's the clouds were brown. I thought pretty much anything but white was bad and a sure sign.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9752812 - 02/06/09 10:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushroomhunter10 said:
Interesting.

I had always thought contamination was easy to see in an LC.

depends on what it is. Some stuff will cause it to turn milky over night and other will not allow the mycelium to clump together.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinechucklehead
GeneticThrowback toNeanderthal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chucky Cheese
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: tahoe]
    #9752868 - 02/06/09 10:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
straight malt blows all other recipes out of the water. No need to add dextrose to malt. it does not help at all. It might even hinder it.

:rockon:

I've tried malt (with a pinch of active charcoal and gypsum) at 5g, 10g, and 15g per 600mL.  Every one grew insanely better than any other recipe that involved honey, karo, or anything else.

I've only tried it with MS pans and cubes.  I never tried it for cloning.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: chucklehead]
    #9753051 - 02/06/09 11:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

that is a shit load of malt. I use between .5 grams up to 2 grams per 500ml of water.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: tahoe]
    #9753494 - 02/07/09 03:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Honey water LCs are vastly overrated.

Grain LC is the way to go, hands down.  No measuring sticky karo or honey, no guessing about contams, and myc water will store in the fridge for upwards of 10 years.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

OfflineCultosaurus
Aspiring Psychonaught
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: chucklehead]
    #9753552 - 02/07/09 04:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

chucklehead said:
Quote:

tahoe said:
straight malt blows all other recipes out of the water. No need to add dextrose to malt. it does not help at all. It might even hinder it.

:rockon:
I've tried malt (with a pinch of active charcoal and gypsum) at 5g, 10g, and 15g per 600mL.  Every one grew insanely better than any other recipe that involved honey, karo, or anything else.
I've only tried it with MS pans and cubes.  I never tried it for cloning.

The LC debates always interest me. There are always the Honey/Karo crowd that won't give them up. Molasses sometimes surfaces as a good one. And the LMED or LME or plain ME users always defend theirs as well.

It really should be a side by side test. But wait, there was one.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=myposts&Number=9490459&page=1&fpart=1

I liked Spongiform's test. I'm eagerly awaiting round 2 and further clarification. I'd like to see further clarification on types used, regular honey, clover, buckwheat and so on, just to reduce confusion further. I would like to see molasses compared, as it seems to have more nutrients and minerals in it than honey. But are they the right nutes? I'll be testing too, when I get that far, Spongiform shouldn't be the only one on the hook for testing. And the opinions of experienced LC users is always great to see.

I haven't actually gotten to use LC yet, but I want to. Not so much as a means of nocing up the jars, but for long term storage. (yes, I'll use prints too, but a couple of active jars in the fridge is handy too) If I get a good one, I want to keep it around for a while. That's why the debates on LC always interest me. I'll always come back for a good LC discussion. When I get to using one, I'd like to be using the best recipe possible.

Peace
Cult

--------------------
A Coming Out of Retirement Psychonaughtical Traveler

OfflineItheus
Tsigolocym emos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine Flag
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: Cultosaurus]
    #9755586 - 02/07/09 04:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Does anyone know why the link* to Agar's Grain LC Tek would give me an access denied error?

*http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6817701/an/0/page/0

Thanks.

Update: Access was granted. Bizarre that it denied me, then allowed me. Same damn link.

Edited by Itheus (02/07/09 04:06 PM)

Offlineproudabu
creeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under My Bed
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: Itheus]
    #9756307 - 02/07/09 06:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so what do you guys think would be the best way to clone a mushroom besides lc

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: proudabu]
    #9756805 - 02/07/09 08:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking that LC's would still be good for cloning.

You can use petri dishes, and I'm willing to bet that Grain LC would work too.

Itheus: Perhaps you weren't logged on?

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: proudabu]
    #9757953 - 02/07/09 11:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

proudabu said:
so what do you guys think would be the best way to clone a mushroom besides lc

besides lc? Lc is in no way the best or even a good way to clone a mushroom.

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineDJ Lance
Stranger

Re: Honey Vs. Karo Liquid Culture (LC) - My opinions. A few questions too! [Re: Roger Fudd]
    #17352381 - 12/07/12 08:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I never heard of that thing someone quoted RR as saying. I'm definitely going to try it; I was going to use another LC tek that I found, but this sounds incredibly easy and he was able to tell me how to do it with a single paragraph.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale