Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DIY HEPA filter? [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9750911 - 02/06/09 04:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

johnny_poke said:
Aah, my shattered dreams of home made HEPAs :uhoh:

Building the housing will be a piece of cake for me. But alas I cannot replicate the HEPA filter.

If I were to drop into an air conditioner supplier/installer and inquire there would I likely get my hands on something usable? Or would those types of filters not be good enough for this work?

If you're willing to put in a lot of work, I'd say persue the dream of making your own filter. Custom sizes will save you A LOT of headaches later if you can do it.

Air conditioning filters are not going to provide you the filtration or the flow that you need, these are usually a specialty item from a science/filteration store.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: DIY HEPA filter? [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9750941 - 02/06/09 04:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ah. OK. Point taken.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

#9751000 - 02/06/09 04:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Aah. Thanks for the encouragement Shroominit. I read on Wikipedia that some HEPAs use a synthetic fiber so something like polyfill or Dacron might do the job. I even think it could well be possible to procure some corrigated plastic to sandwich between the concertina layers of fabric. All this said, I would never have a way to know if it would work or not without just building the damn thing, so probably not a worth while venture. :frown:

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9751076 - 02/06/09 05:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

They sell stand alone units at Sears and places like Lowes that you can run in your house whenever you're not doing sterile work, and they'll cut down on the ambient spores floating around in you house.  I have four or five of them in my storage shed.

Since we use a wood stove for heat up here, I had a lot of dust building up on the furniture. I brought one in and put it in the room with the wood stove, and it cut down on that problem right away.  They're just not mycology suitable, so shut it off when you do sterile work to prevent the swirling air currents they cause.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: DIY HEPA filter? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9751219 - 02/06/09 05:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think I'd rather just stick with the glove box and then jump straight up to a flow hood if the need arises/I can afford it. Thanks for all the useful input everyone :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale