Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineantiphixion
Imaginary

Loc: I exist only in your head...
Heating Ideas?
    #9718423 - 02/01/09 04:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So, my room is cold as fuck for cultivation in the winter because of shitty isolation (between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius).  At the moment Im using an electric blanket wrapped around a container in a drawer to get a good temperature.  This is where I colonize my cakes but I dunno if itll work out well for fruiting.  Since Im trying to be discrete the only other place I can really keep a terrarium is my closet.  Any suggestions for safe heating?  Keep in mind my closet is obviously full of flammable things (ie. clothing).  Thanks for any ideas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHacked Digit
Stranger
Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: antiphixion]
    #9718663 - 02/01/09 05:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My room is always around 55f. I just keep both my FC and pf jars in the top of my closet with a very small space heater. Also I keep the FC on a lower shelf with the heater, and my jars on a shelf just above where the most heat collects. I've been keeping my temps at 83f for my jars and 74 for my FC pretty consistently.

Offlineantiphixion
Imaginary

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: Hacked Digit]
    #9719956 - 02/01/09 09:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not really feeling a space heater, seems like a fire hazard imo.

I've done some more research and decided the tub in tub approach looks cool.  I read about a variation that uses a water pump and plastic tubes to circulate and evenly distribute the heat...  Does that offer any significant advantage over the traditional tub in tub method and how difficult is it to set up?

I also saw this on the petsmart site: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752526

Would that work well if I just placed it inside the terrarium under my cakes?

Thanks again.

OfflineNac
Stranger

#9720023 - 02/01/09 10:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was going to say a space heater.  I don't think it's much of a fire hazard.  Getting it to bring the temperature up to ~80 degrees isn't going to set your closet on fire.

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: Nac]
    #9720118 - 02/01/09 10:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the tub in tub works nicely. and no worries of  fire unless u let the water evaporate to the point of the heater breaking and even then still not very likely it'll start a fire "use a surge protector I had one aq heater break in a aquarium and it flipped the suge protector off didn't do harm to anything even the pricey saltwater inhabitants"

as for a fruit chamber u got me.. maybe a larger cardboard box with the chamber and lighting inside with the heat blanket?... or forget everything I said and just clean ur closet out and use a space heater away from ur clothes... :smile:

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: madwire3]
    #9720574 - 02/01/09 11:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You only want temps between 70-77F, anything higher and you are risking contams.  Space heaters are bad not because they might catch fire, but because their thermostats are the first thing to break which causes the heater to never turn off and possibly running your room to over 90f, destroying your project.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineElmerPhud
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9720973 - 02/02/09 01:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

antiphixion said:
I'm not really feeling a space heater, seems like a fire hazard imo.

I've done some more research and decided the tub in tub approach looks cool.  I read about a variation that uses a water pump and plastic tubes to circulate and evenly distribute the heat...  Does that offer any significant advantage over the traditional tub in tub method and how difficult is it to set up?

I also saw this on the petsmart site: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752526

Would that work well if I just placed it inside the terrarium under my cakes?

Thanks again.

Get a small 10-15gal water pump from your local pet store $10 tops.  get yourself a submersable fishtank heater $20, make sure it has a thermostat on it.  i put them both on a upside down dinner plate since the suction cups dont really seem to like to stick to the plastic tub. floating heater not cool. just like the space heater.

OfflineElmerPhud
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: ElmerPhud]
    #9720989 - 02/02/09 01:53 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

also dont heating pads and electric blankets give off dry heat? the heat that dries your shit up and poses serious fire hazards? 24hour heating pad, not cool. Electric blanket balled up in a dresser drawer, NOT COOL. the TiT setup will have you at safe constant temperatures.....my room is fucking cold too!

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: ElmerPhud]
    #9721017 - 02/02/09 02:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

why not use a space heater in the room itself? would be good for the grow and u

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#9721029 - 02/02/09 02:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hacked Digit said:
My room is always around 55f. I just keep both my FC and pf jars in the top of my closet with a very small space heater. Also I keep the FC on a lower shelf with the heater, and my jars on a shelf just above where the most heat collects. I've been keeping my temps at 83f for my jars and 74 for my FC pretty consistently.

i'm just wondering how you can deal with living at 55 f.  thats friggin cold man!

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

OfflineTBTVox
Stranger

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: RedDevil420]
    #9721055 - 02/02/09 02:23 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

search for "heat bomb"

and thats cold... just use a space heater for your room and like the other guys said, good for u and the mushies

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: TBTVox]
    #9721240 - 02/02/09 05:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

A TIT incubator with the fish tank heater hooked up to a thermostat so that is maintains a steady temperuture will work great for incubating your jars. Aim for a temp between 75F-80F. No higher than 80F.

However, when fruiting you generaly dont want to heat a fruiting chamber directly, as this can cause lots of condensations which robs you off humidity. You can get round this by insulating your fruiting chamber. So a small fish tank heater in your fruiting chamber may work ok.

I would only go that route if you have no way to keep the rooms temp up. Its generaly best to keep the ambient temps in your room up rather than trying to heat your fruiting chamber.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineHacked Digit
Stranger
Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: RedDevil420]
    #9724359 - 02/02/09 05:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RedDevil420 said:
Quote:

Hacked Digit said:

i'm just wondering how you can deal with living at 55 f.  thats friggin cold man!

Lot's oh blankets. :P

Offlineckbhack
Stranger than you...
 User Gallery

#9725792 - 02/02/09 09:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you could get a Reptile under tank heater and put it on a t-stat to control your temp...

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: ckbhack]
    #9726437 - 02/02/09 11:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

if I was at my comp I'd cutand paste what rrposted on one of my threads "aquarium heter + heat pad= stable temp" or something like that is the title.. basically he said heating the tub alone with a colder air around it causes the humidity to stick to the walls and not the air.. heat the room and not just the box basically

--------------------
RR

Offlineantiphixion
Imaginary

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: madwire3]
    #9730283 - 02/03/09 07:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the advice everyone... looks like I'm going to have to go for a space heater since just heating the terrarium won't work.  I'll just keep it on low and away from my clothes I guess.

This is what I'm leaning towards these two atm:

This one I'd put in my closet (more of a fire hazard, more direct control, I'd need to hide it):
http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Hardware.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=21&singledept=null〈=&assetId=35775&imageId=50260&suggestedItem=&priceType=null&page=null&departmentId=164&categoryId=905&tabId=21

This I'd put in a corner of my room near my closet and hope it'd raise the temperature enough (less direct temp control, less of a fire hazard, don't need to hide it):
http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Hardware.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=21&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=35772&imageId=50248&suggestedItem=&priceType=null&page=null&departmentId=164&categoryId=905&tabId=21

Edited by antiphixion (02/03/09 08:30 PM)

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#9731810 - 02/03/09 10:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

A box on your computer monitor or PC tower, If you have a cable or satellite box tuck them in the cabinet under the TV with it. The cupboard over the fridge is usually pretty warm too.  You can incubate in all sorts of places. Just put a thermometer where you think it's warm enough and check it. I've also used Styrofoam coolers....just take a big mason jar and fill it with hot tap water and put it inside the cooler with whatever you're trying to incubate, change the hot water once or twice a day... no thermostat no wires no fire hazard. Or just leave it damn near anywhere. Room temp is fine for most stuff.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

OfflineHacked Digit
Stranger
    #9731811 - 02/03/09 10:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

antiphixion said:
Thanks for the advice everyone... looks like I'm going to have to go for a space heater since just heating the terrarium won't work.  I'll just keep it on low and away from my clothes I guess.

This is what I'm leaning towards these two atm:

This one I'd put in my closet (more of a fire hazard, more direct control, I'd need to hide it):
http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Hardware.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=21&singledept=null〈=&assetId=35775&imageId=50260&suggestedItem=&priceType=null&page=null&departmentId=164&categoryId=905&tabId=21

This I'd put in a corner of my room near my closet and hope it'd raise the temperature enough (less direct temp control, less of a fire hazard, don't need to hide it):
http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Hardware.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=21&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=35772&imageId=50248&suggestedItem=&priceType=null&page=null&departmentId=164&categoryId=905&tabId=21

The first one is almost exactly what I'm using just a different model. Havn't had any issues yet. Oh and I really wouldn't worry about them being a fire hazzard so much. Most space heaters have killswitches that shut off well before there is any fire danger. Hell I even thought mine was broken for a while till realized I just had the thermostat set too high. the unit was reaching it's limit so fast it couldn't heat the air quick enough. It would shut off and I'd have to unplug it for five min. to reset it before it would work again. Now I have it set at a medium setting and it's run non stop for 2 months.

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
    #9731855 - 02/03/09 10:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have the same issue.  I finally found a proper fix.  I got a honeywell oscilating space heater that uses ceramic tiles and has a thermostat in it.  I set it for 77f and it keeps the room at 75f steady!  Previously I used a little heater with a knob that went from Min to Max and I couldn't get the room stabilized because the ambiant flucuated too much.  This is truly the ideal option! http://www.airdelights.com/HZ338.html?id=w4LBxUpa

edit: I should mention the room is approx. 11x 11 and would be at 55f degrees if not heated with this heater.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Edited by Vermonster420 (02/03/09 10:21 PM)

Offlineantiphixion
Imaginary

Re: Heating Ideas? [Re: Vermonster420]
    #9742565 - 02/05/09 06:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Peterthinks: Thanks for the suggestions but I've only have my room to work with so the only remotely discrete area is my closet and running a wire under a closet door is less than ideal.  I'm also looking more for getting a good temp for the fruiting chamber, my electric blanket set up has worked fine for colonization.

Hacked Digit: Are you running your space heater in a confined space?  My closet is about 6' by 2'.

Vermonster420: Do you think that heater would be powerful enough to heat my closet if I placed it in my room near the closet?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates