Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
P-Value of Sporeworks Cultures
    #9740033 - 02/05/09 10:35 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I know that Stamets uses the P system for measuring the age of mycelium. When I've gotten culture syringes from Sporeworks in the past there hasn't been any sort of label saying the P-Value of them. Generally what is the P-Value of the mycelium in the culture syringes you sell?
Also, keep up the great work! You are an amazing vendor.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: P-Value of Sporeworks Cultures [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9740133 - 02/05/09 11:02 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

P value is not the best system to use, and I disregard it.  There's a huge difference in a culture that is grown for 2 to 3 weeks before placing in slants each cycle, and one that is grown for only four or five days before placing in slants, yet they'd each have the same P value.  I keep track of the total number of days the culture has been out of refrigeration, regardless of the number of transfers, which is all P value measures. 

I'm sure workman has his own system as well, so I'm not trying to speak for him, but only pointing out the shortcomings of the P value system, which is probably why sporeworks doesn't use it either.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Re: P-Value of Sporeworks Cultures [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9740172 - 02/05/09 11:13 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ahhh... ok. What is the best way to treat cultures and label them accordingly so that you can keep the your genetics fresh? Also, now that you say that letting them grow for longer on a dish will degrade them faster I realize that I've done this with most of my dishes before I put them on slants. How can I label them now so that I can keep track of their growth time in the future?

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

#9740299 - 02/05/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

At every transfer, I date the new petri dish or slant, followed by a two or three digit number that represents total days(without refrigeration) since cloning from the wild, or spores germinating, as the case may be. 

Thus a petri dish inoculated today from a 37 day old culture would be labeled 5 feb 09 - 37.  If I placed that culture on a slant five days from now, the slant would be labeled 10 feb 09 - 43, with no mention of how many transfers it's had, since in my opinion it's irrelevant.

I've been using this system for a couple of years now, and it's working great.  Prior to that, I used the p-value system, but as said above, realized its shortcomings and switched to this method.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

#9740358 - 02/05/09 12:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Great! Thanks for the information. How many days does it take for a culture to reach scenecence?

--------------------

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

#9740383 - 02/05/09 12:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

There's too many variables to answer that.  The idea is to have the lowest time on the cultures possible.  My oldest cultures have no more than 60 days on them, and they're still vigorous.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male User Gallery

#9741038 - 02/05/09 02:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
There's too many variables to answer that.  The idea is to have the lowest time on the cultures possible.  My oldest cultures have no more than 60 days on them, and they're still vigorous.
RR

So how do you store a culture long-term?  Or is storing spores the only way.  After those sixty days or whatever the case may be, what do you do; use spores from your most recent fruits or a culture from them or do you have a 'master' to go back to?

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Re: P-Value of Sporeworks Cultures [Re: Angus]
    #9741210 - 02/05/09 02:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

They days he's talking about are only days that the culture is unrefrigerated. You can keep cultures long term when they are refrigerated.

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
    #9741306 - 02/05/09 02:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

We don't use any P-value system.  We are looking into cryogenic storage of mycelium but currently we periodically go back to archived spores to refresh a species at any sign of degradation.  This is problematic for some species since the spores don't readily germinate on standard agar media.  I've been working with a great wild isolate of Agaricus augustus that I fear I will eventually lose since I can't seem to get any spores to germinate.  Methods that work for Agaricus bisporus have all failed.  To prevent the future loss of sensitive and rare cultures, Sporeworks.com will likely utilize liquid nitrogen storage methods before expanding our culture offerings any further. Our cultures are intended for the hobbiest and may not be as genetically refined as commercial strains, although they do have the advantage of youthful cell lines.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Fare Thee Well.
Re: P-Value of Sporeworks Cultures [Re: Workman]
    #9749023 - 02/06/09 10:49 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the last edible culture I got from you was apparently crossed with a hand grenade, based on what it did when it hit media :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale