Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegeorgeking
Stranger
wondering about pressure canner
    #9737861 - 02/04/09 10:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I would like to use the PF method and im thinking about purchasing a pressure canner to sterilize the jars. the guides are saying to use half-pint jars, so i was wondering how many half-pint jars can i sterilize at one time in a 23 quart pressure canner? OR if i shouldnt put as many jars as i can in at one time, how many jars should i put in each time? thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekami
newbie grow
Male

Re: wondering about pressure canner [Re: georgeking]
    #9737884 - 02/04/09 10:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

u should put in as much as u can so long as the jars arent touching the water or the bottom of the PC. If your not careful they could break x_x

--------------------
My girlfriend used me as a mount!!!! :mad2:

When reading my posts pls refer to my title. A large amount of my knowlege is from this site. I mean to lead no1 a stray

I in no way shape or form partake in any sort of illegal activity, anything i post, say or do in this forum is completley hypothetical and is my way of exercising my right to FREE SPEECH. first amendment biatch

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
    #9737888 - 02/04/09 10:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Not sure how many jars fit in to the 23 quart canner your looking at, the manufacturer should have it listed on their web site or on the box.

Nothing wrong with packing in as many as it will hold.

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: wondering about pressure canner [Re: Icky]
    #9737953 - 02/04/09 10:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If your just going to do pf style for ever you dont need a pressure cooker..Go buy a canning pot At any big store..It costs about 10.00
I think I can fit 16 or 17 1/2 pint jars in it..

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
Re: wondering about pressure canner [Re: kami]
    #9737972 - 02/04/09 10:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kami said:
u should put in as much as u can so long as the jars arent touching the water or the bottom of the PC. If your not careful they could break x_x

there is no problem with jars touching the water.  just let them cool down naturally and slowly.  you actually need some of the water to come up a little or you would run dry in an hour or so.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: wondering about pressure canner [Re: Vermonster420]
    #9738250 - 02/04/09 11:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kami said:

Horrible advice. They can touch the water. There is no need to worry about them breaking if they follow directions

Quote:

Vermonster420 said:
Quote:

kami said:

there is no problem with jars touching the water.  just let them cool down naturally and slowly.  you actually need some of the water to come up a little or you would run dry in an hour or so.

The water does not need to come up and touch. Water touching the jars has nothing to do with the pot running dry. You can fill the pot with 3 inches of water and raise the jars up out of the water.

I highly recommend a vegetable steamer. One of those electric ones. You will not get water inside the jar and they work as good if not better than stockpots.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
Re: wondering about pressure canner [Re: tahoe]
    #9738352 - 02/04/09 11:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

highly recommend a vegetable steamer. One of those electric ones. You will not get water inside the jar and they work as good if not better than stockpots.

Never used one, don't know how well they work or what they cost. If you recommend one for the purpose of PF cakes, I won't dispute it.

Now it is better to only buy equipment once when viewing it form a cost perspective.

If georgeking thinks he may want to graduate from PF cake to grains, start using argar, needs to sterilize anything. A 23 quart PC would be a better investment, I have seen them for as low as 80 buck shipped from amazon. A steamer can never out perform a PC, even if you only used it to make PF cakes.

You can sterilize agar, rye berries, WBS, what ever with a PC but not with a veggie steamer.

:2cents:

If georgeking doesn't already own own a stock pot to steam PF cakes in then he needs to update his kitchen cookware.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: wondering about pressure canner [Re: Icky]
    #9739859 - 02/05/09 09:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

a pc is better but some people do not want to fork out the cash for one. If someone is just growing pf cakes then the vegie steamer is your best bet. It will not splash water up into the jars.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #9739973 - 02/05/09 10:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

georgeking said:

i was wondering how many half-pint jars can i sterilize at one time in a 23 quart pressure canner?

it really depends on the brand...

but most will hold 19 or more, of the half pint jars.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags