Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down South
Couple Shiitake Questions
    #9735849 - 02/04/09 05:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

1: When to harvest? as soon as the veil breaks like cubes? I work all day so I can come back for lunch and then when I get back. I noticed these grow pretty fast so if it goes a little longer after the veil breaks, would that affect the taste?

2: Do shiitake have long stems like mine? I am wondering if its b/c of high humidity or not enough f.a.e. I only have room in my cube fc right now so the humidity is pretty much 99% all day. I fan/mist in the morning, lunch and when I get back. I also have a air pump that runs for a hour in between the times I come home.

3: Cloning question. Ok so I can clone just like a cube? Cut a piece of the top part of the inside stem stick in on agar, etc? I want to start doing my own grow bags for indoors now and my temps range from 70-80 and it seems like these are doing pretty good so far in these temps.

4: what type of agar? Any special kind ?

5: Making sawdust / wood chips. I have access to a downed oak tree that was cut down after the hurricane last year. Its been down for about 6/7 months. The people already cut it into pieces and everything. I am reading about wood chips / sawdust. So could I do both of those from oak? Do I have to have woodchips? Why not just the saw dust?

6: Oh and the black head pins. They seem to still be growing but with black heads. Do I leave them or pull them?

Sorry for all the questions. I have ordered the GGMM book but wont be here till next week sometime. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
Re: Couple Shiitake Questions [Re: Killa420]
    #9736122 - 02/04/09 06:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have never grown Shiitake but I plan to in the near future and I can answer one of your questions based on information that I gathered... Basically, almost all edibles (maybe ALL edibles idk, but definitely Shiitake) require way more FAE than cubes.  Also, as far as sawdust/woodchips go, you can either use a mixture of sawdust and woodchips or just plain sawdust but in both cases you will need to supplement the sawdust usually with bran and gypsum.  Here is the recipe that I plan to use:  standard supplemented sawdust recipe: 100 parts sawdust/shavings/chips: 10 parts bran : 1 to 3 parts gypsum, all by weight.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Couple Shiitake Questions [Re: jjb007]
    #9736816 - 02/04/09 08:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Harvest right when the margin is not curved in.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Couple Shiitake Questions [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #9736822 - 02/04/09 08:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You need a bit more FAE.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Couple Shiitake Questions [Re: Killa420]
    #9738579 - 02/05/09 12:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Killa420 said:
1: When to harvest? as soon as the veil breaks like cubes? I work all day so I can come back for lunch and then when I get back. I noticed these grow pretty fast so if it goes a little longer after the veil breaks, would that affect the taste?

Like Graham says while the caps are still curved inwards.

Quote:

Killa420 said:
2: Do shiitake have long stems like mine? I am wondering if its b/c of high humidity or not enough f.a.e. I only have room in my cube fc right now so the humidity is pretty much 99% all day. I fan/mist in the morning, lunch and when I get back. I also have a air pump that runs for a hour in between the times I come home.

Yes they sometime do, as mentioned give them more FAE.

Quote:

Killa420 said:
3: Cloning question. Ok so I can clone just like a cube? Cut a piece of the top part of the inside stem stick in on agar, etc? I want to start doing my own grow bags for indoors now and my temps range from 70-80 and it seems like these are doing pretty good so far in these temps.

Yes clone away, use the inside of the stipe, nearest to the cap

Quote:

Killa420 said:
4: what type of agar? Any special kind ?

No special kind.  The simplest is PDA, but there are so many opinions on that subject.

Quote:

Killa420 said:
5: Making sawdust / wood chips. I have access to a downed oak tree that was cut down after the hurricane last year. Its been down for about 6/7 months. The people already cut it into pieces and everything. I am reading about wood chips / sawdust. So could I do both of those from oak? Do I have to have woodchips? Why not just the saw dust?

The woodchips help to keep the structure of the block open for air exchange to prevent anaerobic conditions inside.  If the sawdust is from a rough cut then it should be all right on its' own but if it is very fine then you need to add some woodchips or something to give it some porosity.

Quote:

Killa420 said:
6: Oh and the black head pins. They seem to still be growing but with black heads. Do I leave them or pull them?

The black heads pins are the start of the mushrooms, you must leave them.

Ciao
the block looks good so far

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down South
Re: Couple Shiitake Questions [Re: solumvita]
    #9739693 - 02/05/09 09:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds