Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheAnimate
Stranger
 User Gallery
How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek)
    #9638471 - 01/19/09 02:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I know that half-pint jars are considered by basically everyone to be superior to full-pints, and I also know that tons of noobs have still managed to grow in full-pints. What I'm wondering is, do any of the rules change when growing in full-pint jars? I realize colonization time is gonna go up, and I don't really think colonization is going to change. I used 4 inoc points, same as I would for half-pint. But what about when it comes time to fruit? Normally I'd dunk and roll, place in tote filled with watered perlite. But these are awfully large. Would it be possible(profitable) to cut/break the cakes in half? Since they're twice as big, can I split them up and get a standard yield like I would with half-pint cakes? I figure I'd do the split before dunk/roll. Or is it just better to keep them as full cakes and treat them normally? If anyone has any other advice on making the most of full-pint jars, I'd love to hear it.

Edit:
Some extra information... I've been incubating them in a pretty basic incubator, one tote inside of another with water and an aquarium heater, but it keeps the temperature at a very steady 80.6 degrees. I've heard you want the temp a bit lower than 86 because the jars themselves will be hotter than the temp inside the tote. There were some other things I never really read into(like shaking up jars, for example) because I never read that it was worth it for half-pint PF Tek. But I'm just wondering if full-pint jars make a difference for either incubation or fruiting strategies. I'd planned on just using a standard fruiting chamber, cakes sitting on perlite, but if someone knows a better strategy for me at this point I'm more than willing to listen.

Edited by TheAnimate (01/19/09 02:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: TheAnimate]
    #9638500 - 01/19/09 02:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i dont have any experience with full pints but i think you could just treat is a a regular pf cake. dunk and roll.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #9638503 - 01/19/09 02:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

time added to colonizing for sure, but the smaller 1/2 pint size gives you more surface area to grow/fruit on.  one big ass cake doesnt mean bigger/larger yields, just more food for myc.IMO.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9638518 - 01/19/09 02:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

1 pint is the same as 2 1/2 pints in every respect except the colonization time will be up 70%

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineTheAnimate
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9638526 - 01/19/09 02:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
time added to colonizing for sure, but the smaller 1/2 pint size gives you more surface area to grow/fruit on.  one big ass cake doesnt mean bigger/larger yields, just more food for myc.IMO.

Hmm. In this case, does that mean that they're more likely to yield extra flushes? Or grow larger shrooms before a flush finishes?
Will that change the potency of the individual shrooms, if they grow larger in the same flush? I could see them becoming weaker if there's more shroom but not any extra psilocybe.

InvisibleechoesSG
Dancing Echoes
Male

#9638565 - 01/19/09 02:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

They can be cut in half with a good knife. and fruited as two half pint sized cakes if you like. I did this at first because I couldnt find half pint jars.

you can also just fruit them as is. I laid them sideways like a log in the FC.

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cascadia
    #9638582 - 01/19/09 02:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just fruit like normal.  a 1 pt cake is gonna give you more final harvest than a half pint.  They take longer and might stall, which is why they aren't reccomended.  But if yours do manage to reach 100% colonization, a 1pt is better than a 1/2 pint, but not better than 2 1/2 pints.  Get it?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #9638603 - 01/19/09 02:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheAnimate said:
Quote:

13shrooms said:

Hmm. In this case, does that mean that they're more likely to yield extra flushes? Or grow larger shrooms before a flush finishes?
Will that change the potency of the individual shrooms, if they grow larger in the same flush? I could see them becoming weaker if there's more shroom but not any extra psilocybe.

you prob would get extra flushes cause your big ass cake is still full of nutes. (have fun dunk and rollin) a few bigger shrooms r possible.  but potency wont get better or worse.  its still a cube growing on a pf brf/cake.  potency is still varied from flush to flush/spore to spore.  if u clone you can get consistency in potancy(if u pick the right one to clone)  but not from MS syringes or LCs.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

#9638658 - 01/19/09 02:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'd suggest cutting them into half pints, maybe even cut em long ways, then they'd have more surface area.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: krypto2000]
    #9638898 - 01/19/09 03:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If you have no choice but to use full pints/500ml jars, cut the amount of water by at least ten percent.  That means the basic recipe becomes 2-1-.9 rather than 2-1-1.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9638979 - 01/19/09 03:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm using  pt jars as well. I can tell you it does take longer for them to colonize. Out of 6 jars, 1 shows signs of growth. We'll see what happens.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: krypto2000]
    #9639198 - 01/19/09 03:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I would actually suggest spawning to coir, 7 extra days and 10x the yield

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: neopet nub]
    #9639320 - 01/19/09 04:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Also, plastic pints work better then glass pints  because you can shake them.

The glass pints get compacted and colonize really slow.  I had one take something like 6 or 7 weeks.

I've got a quart sized plastic container with a little over a pint-sized cake colonizing.  It's on Day 8 and almost fully colonized.  Probably be ready on day 9 or 10.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: Spongiform]
    #9639586 - 01/19/09 04:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If that is what you must use then you can use them. Slightly drier mix (which i prefer anyway even with 1/2 pints) and be extra carefull in keeping the substrate fluffed up.

I have seen pints perform OK. But nothing compared to 1/2 pints and quarter pints.

Say for instance, you can get 70 grams fresh from a 1/2 pint, so for a full pint it would make sense to get 140 grams. Well i have never seen this. Ive never seen pints produce double what a half pint does.

Colinisation takes a hell of a lot longer, sometimes more than double the time of a half pint cake.

Plastic containers are a good alternative, but you must make sure its make of a good PP plastic thats not really thing otherwise they warp. The advantage of plastic is you can bend it and mix up the cakes. You have to miss out the dry verm and use another filter, like micropore tape.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleSebastien
Don't look!
Male

#9736143 - 02/04/09 06:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Can full pint jars just be filled half-way to mimic a half-pint, or would that cause any problems?

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to make the most of full pint jars? (BRF PF-Tek) [Re: Sebastien]
    #9736181 - 02/04/09 06:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sebastien said:
Can full pint jars just be filled half-way to mimic a half-pint, or would that cause any problems?

Would be very hard to inoculate past the dry verm layer unless you have a ~4" needle. I would advise against it because if you wet the verm layer with inoculate, it will be useless as a filter.

InvisibleMushHunter08
Mycological Pupil
Male

Loc: B.F.E
    #9736260 - 02/04/09 06:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:

^^ This is dead wrong with the exception of longer colonization times.

--------------------
"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough."
-William Blake-

The most simple method of growing mushrooms:
www.mushroomvideos.com

MultiSync's lazy bastard print/syringe guide

Edited by MushHunter08 (02/04/09 06:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck