Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Agrocybe aegerita UPDATE 2/12/09 * 2
    #9731365 - 02/03/09 08:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here are some pics of my Agrocybe aegerita blocks pinning. Looks like its going to be a good flush! There are 3 blocks made out of aspen pet bedding mixed with hardwood mulch and vermiculite supplemented with wheat bran and gypsum. PCed in mycobags for 3 hours, inoculated with 1 quart of WBS each. I'll post updates as they mature.

Update 2/5/09:

Update 2/9/09:

Update 2/10/09, final pics of 1st flush. Now they are soaking, I'll put um back in my FC tomorrow for a second flush. Sorry about the sideways pics, for some reason sometimes when I upload they show up sideways.
enjoy!:

Update 2/12/09. Ok so I lied about them being all done. I had one more block that was behind the first two. Here are a few pics pre-harvest. Enjoy.

Edited by PitcherCrab (02/12/09 08:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins 2/3/09 [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9731569 - 02/03/09 09:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Excellent work!

Why did you use so much WBS for each block?

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins 2/3/09 [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9733062 - 02/04/09 05:37 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thats great PitcherCrab. What kind of fruiting chamber do you have set up there?

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins 2/3/09 [Re: waixingren]
    #9733556 - 02/04/09 09:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks!
I used that much WBS because I ran out of the mix and the spawn was old anyway, so I really wanted to use it.
The fruiting chamber is a basic shotgun FC. RH is usually around 95% and temps have been from 60°F to about 73°F.

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

InvisibleLokelYokel
I Gro Fuud
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Heart
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins 2/3/09 [Re: denger]
    #9735439 - 02/04/09 04:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Wouldn't a high spawn rate help to speed colonization and act as a supplement for fruiting?

--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins 2/3/09 [Re: LokelYokel]
    #9735972 - 02/04/09 05:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yup... these bags colonized in about a week. But if I stretched it further I could have gotten more mushrooms in the end.

--------------------

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins 2/3/09 [Re: LokelYokel]
    #9736099 - 02/04/09 06:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It does speed colonization, and does work as a supplement. However, for some species, too much supplement can be a bad thing. Shiitake does not like more then 20% supplement and might grow deformed fruit on the first flush when using more.

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: denger]
    #9741523 - 02/05/09 03:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Updated 2/5/09

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9766504 - 02/09/09 03:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Updated 2/9/09

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#9766824 - 02/09/09 04:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

looking great!

its funny how much they look like cubes...

i just inoculated a block of oak chips with A. aegerita this morning.

Offlinetrich_cultivator
Martyr of spores

Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9767185 - 02/09/09 05:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

They look awesome man!!! Cant wait to get those started!!!Beautiful pics too!!! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: trich_cultivator]
    #9772353 - 02/10/09 02:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Update 2/10/09, these are the final pics of the first flush

--------------------

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #9772575 - 02/10/09 03:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Wow...those are gorgous. Thanks for the pics...make me hungry. Hopefully I'll get to do these one day.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9773224 - 02/10/09 05:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Nicely done Pitchercrab :thumbup: And Beautiful pictures. I just put two pioppino blocks in the fruiting chamber last night, I hope they look as pretty as yours in a week :smile:

It's interesting that most of your fruits formed on the sides of the block. I believe in GGMM it states that A. Aegerita prefer horizontal surfaces. In any case I just cut the top off my bags and left the rest in place. I'll post some pics in a new thread when there's more to look at.

Thanks for the encouraging pics,
-DD

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: didjin_d]
    #9773311 - 02/10/09 05:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah... it also said they benefit from a casing layer. I think for my next grow of them I'm going to use trays.

--------------------

OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
    #9773734 - 02/10/09 06:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just a few questions....
      So, do spores from black poplar germinate well on PF cakes? Asking cuz when I first got my syringe, it came as a liquid culture, so I really haven't ever germinated from spores. But I have a spore print or two...and a bunch of rye spawn in my fridge. (prolly more useful anyways...)
      Also, I didn't have huge success growing last time. Just curious what proportions you used for your substrate. I'm assuming mostly aspen and hardwood mulch, then verm to hold some water. How did you prepare the substrate? did you soak and boil it?
    Last thing, anything in particular I should be looking for in hardwood mulch? (should probably avoid colored mulch)
They are sooooooo adorable! I think black poplars form the cutest little pins... :grin: I almost have trouble eating them haha!
      Good luck!
Myk
Nice mutated mushroom in the last set of pics!

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

Edited by Mykologist (02/10/09 06:39 PM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: Mykologist]
    #9774201 - 02/10/09 08:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

a liquid culture isnt spores, its technically "mycelium suspended in nutrient solution"

and most woodlovers will sprout on grains, you can either do the BRF tek and substitute the verm for sawdust of your required wood and make spawn/grow out of the jar, or just do 1/3 of a 1/2pint jar full of whole brown rice and once colonized used to innoc more spawn.

no cedar or softwoods and u should be fine.

oak works pretty good for aegerita, ive heard somewhat good stories about aspen pet bedding chips too.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9774222 - 02/10/09 08:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

if your having problems fruiting chances are its humidity, the require a bit more than say oysters

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agrocybe aegerita pins UPDATE 2/5/09 [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #9775880 - 02/10/09 10:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've had problems germinating P. citrinopileatus and A. aegerita on WBS.  Don't know if it's the spores or just some condition that missing.

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #9777499 - 02/11/09 10:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mykologist said:
Just a few questions....
      So, do spores from black poplar germinate well on PF cakes? Asking cuz when I first got my syringe, it came as a liquid culture, so I really haven't ever germinated from spores. But I have a spore print or two...and a bunch of rye spawn in my fridge. (prolly more useful anyways...)
      Also, I didn't have huge success growing last time. Just curious what proportions you used for your substrate. I'm assuming mostly aspen and hardwood mulch, then verm to hold some water. How did you prepare the substrate? did you soak and boil it?
    Last thing, anything in particular I should be looking for in hardwood mulch? (should probably avoid colored mulch)
They are sooooooo adorable! I think black poplars form the cutest little pins... :grin: I almost have trouble eating them haha!
      Good luck!
Myk
Nice mutated mushroom in the last set of pics!

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Spores aren't generally used for growing gourmet mushrooms as they are for actives. Most of the time you will buy a culture of an already proven isolate. For this grow I used the sporeworks black poplar isolate so I really don't know if spores will germinate on BRF cakes. LC of an isolate on the other hand will work fine with your cakes, but I wouldn't fruit them off the cakes, if you are going to use BRF use it as spawn and spawn to some sort of wood.

I'm not exactly sure of my ratios for my fruiting substrate because I usually just wing it, but if I were to guesstimate I would guess this:
30% Aspen Pet Bedding, 20% Vermiculite, 40% Wood Mulch (I think mostly eucalyptus, not sure though), 10% Supplements (wheat bran and gypsum).
To sterilize this mix I just brought it to field capacity put it in mycobags and PCed it for somewhere between 2.5-3 hours.

With this run I actually initially left out the verm, but the bags were looking kinda soggy so I added about a quart to each when I spawned. It fixed the moisture content and the colonized in about a week.

What you want in woodchips or sawdust is basically any hardwood. Avoid cedar and softwoods, also don't get dyed chips. It is often recommended to use a woodchip/sawdust mix as the sawdust will fill the gaps between the chips making it easier for the mycelium to run through the substrate.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag