Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCrestoneian
Super Cool
Male User Gallery

Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber?
    #9698869 - 01/29/09 07:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Okay.. I have some contamination... not sure where it came from but its here and it occurred while in the fruiting chamber. Is there ever an opportunity to salvage before it get too far along or is it just trash?  This is really disappointing. I am hoping someone will tell me that I can just slice off the top of my cake.  I am definitely using grains next time

--------------------
Just a noobie here, gettin teach'ed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMentonaut
Stranger

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: Crestoneian]
    #9698876 - 01/29/09 07:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Toss it. And grain won't stop you from getting contamination. Proper sterile technique will minimize it, but every now and then, you're probably going to get some no matter how careful you are.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: Mentonaut]
    #9698882 - 01/29/09 07:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah man, you should just get rid off that cake.
Move it gently or put a bag over it before u move it so you dont get too many trich spores into the air.
You dont want to ruin any future grows in that chamber just to get a few mushrooms from that cake.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: Crestoneian]
    #9698892 - 01/29/09 07:59 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

There's not even any pinning yet. I wouldn't even try to drag that all the way through to the first flush, seeing how the contam is already sporulating now. I'd toss it out.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9698903 - 01/29/09 08:06 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Its possible that the inside of that cake has a lot more trich in it than you can see from the outside.
Check out this link and scroll down to the penicillin section and check out the cake that is all broken open.
http://www.shroomery.org/5276/What-are-common-contaminants-of-the-mushroom-culture

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: creekfreek]
    #9699066 - 01/29/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yup, you can't safely cut green mold out, but you can salt it as long as its only on the surface and not throughout the cake.

Try making a salt/water paste and spreading it on with a knife on the affected area.  If it starts spreading in other areas immediately toss the cake out.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #9699078 - 01/29/09 09:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Crestoneian said:
Okay.. I have some contamination... not sure where it came from but its here and it occurred while in the fruiting chamber. Is there ever an opportunity to salvage before it get too far along or is it just trash?  This is really disappointing. I am hoping someone will tell me that I can just slice off the top of my cake.  I am definitely using grains next time

So what did you do you cause the contam? It is weird to see contams on a cake before the first flush and your willingness to try to save this cakes makes me think that this is your first time.
You need to trash that cake, clean the perlite and fruiting chamber.

Now tell us, did you birth that cake early?

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: tahoe]
    #9699358 - 01/29/09 10:38 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yes.  You can bury it outdoors in your flowerbeds, shrubs, or garden area.  Trichoderma is a beneficial organism in the soil.  That cake is screwed for indoor mushroom growing though.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCrestoneian
Super Cool
Male User Gallery

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9707962 - 01/30/09 07:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for all you're advice guys.  This was in fact my first time, and yes.. i did birth the cake early. I am really kickin myself now.  I'll throw it out.  I have kinda picked and poked at it a bit since then. Will this ruin my spot for growing.  I am using my walk-in closet.  And wasn't being very careful with the tric contaminants.

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #9710530 - 01/31/09 08:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Crestoneian said:
Thanks for all you're advice guys.  This was in fact my first time, and yes.. i did birth the cake early. 

Weird, I am right again. So tell us why you birthed it early.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineCrestoneian
Super Cool
Male User Gallery

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: tahoe]
    #9712350 - 01/31/09 02:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Cause I'm a dumb ass... a little overly earger, easily excitable, and very inexperienced. :crazy2:  Well, now i see where that got me so I am    taking my time with this next jar. BTW.. I have a thread about that in the Contaminants Forum... lol. (Is this a contaminant?) There is a pic with it if I could get your feedback on that, it would be great. I really want to try the rez-tek next though. 
Thanks for your help

--------------------

OfflineFellowGrower
Fungal Freedom Fighter
 User Gallery

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9712512 - 01/31/09 03:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Yes.  You can bury it outdoors in your flowerbeds, shrubs, or garden area.  Trichoderma is a beneficial organism in the soil.  That cake is screwed for indoor mushroom growing though.
RR

See? it just spreads it...

--------------------

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: FellowGrower]
    #9712549 - 01/31/09 03:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FellowGrower said:

See? it just spreads it...

Um, no, I don't see. Your pictures are horrible. I can't tell what's going on at all. How did you look at these photos and come to the conclusion that anyone wants to see them? :shrug:

Offlinejoshua_5
rebel without a pause

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: freespeech]
    #9712774 - 01/31/09 04:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hey freespeech, no need to be an asshole.
and maybe i just have super-vision, but i can tell exactly what he is saying by looking at the pics.

--------------------
we have everything
and we have nothing
and some men do it in churches
and some men do it by tearing butterflies in half.

OfflineCrestoneian
Super Cool
Male User Gallery

Re: Can I salvage a contaminated cake in the fruiting chamber? [Re: joshua_5]
    #9713212 - 01/31/09 05:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbdown:Yeah I hear ya freespeech.  Its a lost cause. The Specimen has been chucked.

--------------------

OfflineCrestoneian
Super Cool
Male User Gallery

#9713268 - 01/31/09 05:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i meant to say.. yeah i hear ya fellowgrower.  Lost cause. It's Chucked

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds