Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshmush
Stranger
Bathrooms... good and bad??
    #9698964 - 01/29/09 08:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

what up shroomery!! i havent posted in a year and im happy to say its fucking good to be back. my last operation had to be squashed right as it was taking off and have since been unable to start back up...until now. essentially the op wasnt stealth enough and one of my roommates got into a serious legal battle. but thats neither here nor there. im planning to start up again and keep shit STEALTHH.

my plan is this: i have a bedroom connecting to a bathroom that will be ONLY accessed by me.

ok so we know that a scrubbed, cleaned, and sterilized bathroom is a good place to inoculate (at least from my research... and i used that for both my inoculations w/ 0% contam)

so heres the questions: 1.) if i use the bathroom for the FC as well, could i *USE* the bathroom? or would my use of the toilet and shower ruin shit too much? my shower could give extra humidity!! :thumbup: lol if not thats not a prob cuz theres a bathroom downstairs that i can use.  2.) if the bathroom is no good for the FC (due to possible contam...or maybe cuz ill be doing inoculations a lot...so ill be spraying bleach and shit in there on a weekly basis) would a normal sized bedroom suffice?? last time we did this we did it in a larger room with more space. my room is decently clean but it still has tons of dirty shit in a small area  i.e. shoes, gym clothes, dirty towels, dust, etc.  i know once the cakes are fruiting they are way more resistant towards contam but i just wanna see what some of the more experienced growers out there think.

im really trying to keep it stealth as i said, only one person other than me... and the whole internet... will know.  :smirk: i would really like to keep the FC in my room or bathroom so any tips on improving the environment of my room (other than cleaning it which is obvious) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys

Happy Trippin
B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: shmush]
    #9698971 - 01/29/09 08:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

WB shmush.

Sounds like you have an ideal setup there, but I can't offer any advice on mushroom growing. Just wanted to say wb first.

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #9698974 - 01/29/09 08:43 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

bathrooms are funny. They are dirty as hell. Probably no dirtier than a carpeted room but a bathroom has enough moisture in it to harbor living mold. I take showers in my bathroom and I would never use is it for mycology

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisiblegurushudumoonday
buttery Stranger

Loc: all
    #9698982 - 01/29/09 08:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

GL. My advice: DO YOUR HOMEWORK, KEEP IT CLEAN, DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS.

Invisiblebullfrog420
Stranger

Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: gurushudumoonday]
    #9698993 - 01/29/09 08:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

depends how clean it is , i wouldn't shit or shower in there

--------------------
:sun:

Offlineshmush
Stranger
Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: bullfrog420]
    #9699002 - 01/29/09 08:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks Visionary Tools i appreciate it...  yeah i'm pretty sure that i wont put the fruiting chamber in the bathroom. i just wanted it in the bathroom rather than my bedroom if i could get away with it!!! :tongue: it was a long shot, i know.

also my bedroom has hardwood floors not carpet so maybe its a little cleaner.... at this point i'm just wondering if there are any tips or teks needed or would a decently clean room suffice (it did before, this one is just significantly smaller)

thanks for all the feedback already you guys are fuckin awesome

Offlinescriptflippin
Stranger

#9699015 - 01/29/09 08:59 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I use a bathroom...I am just very sterile when I do it. And as far as using it for the FC...That's questionable, but if you buy a little rack to put in a closet or something and keep it off the ground you should be fine. I would use a peroxide/water mix of 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water...

So, 1 ounce of peroxide to ounce water.

That will help keep some of the contams at bay.

Offlinemonkeyswithguns
Stranger

Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: scriptflippin]
    #9699276 - 01/29/09 10:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't be so certain about closets. I think it depends on what type of FC you intend to use. I had a shotgun in one, but it wasn't getting humidity and started drying out due to no air flow in the room.

I added a fan and it just made it worse.

I think it needs a *small* amount of regular air flow for a shotgun to keep up humidity, but too much will dry it out quickly. So like I said, I think it depends on the FC.

Offlineshmush
Stranger
Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: monkeyswithguns]
    #9699336 - 01/29/09 10:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i will be using a "shotgun" fc  i.e. holes drilled on all six sides of a clear container w/ a layer of wetted perlite w/ a spash of peroxide--thanks flippin

monkeys:  i will not be using a closet. as i stated, the plan is to use a normal bedroom. there is an a/c vent as well as a fan for circulation in this room. usually the fan stays off but if you guys give some input indicating that the fan should be on, i'll do that as well.

as i said before, we used a bedroom before w/ no problems... just wondering if there are any precautions i should/could be taking?

thanks for all the input thus far everyone!! greatly appreciated... the operation will begin sometime next week but preparation is already in the works.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#9699436 - 01/29/09 11:01 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

As I understand it, shmush, if there is mold in your showerhead, it will spread spores everywhere when you turn it on. A lot of people actually get sick like this.

Using a bathroom could probably work, but you'd spend a LOT of time keeping it really clean.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinebirdisaword
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Africa
Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #9699509 - 01/29/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Get ready to smell like mushroom if you keep them in your room....

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: birdisaword]
    #9699545 - 01/29/09 11:24 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

no, you wont smell shit thats not true. when i grow mushrooms i cant smell a damn thing.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: PreparationH]
    #9699836 - 01/29/09 12:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My bathroom attempts failed every time...  During incubation, at that.  I used quart jars in a heated igloo container, Tyvek screens under the lids.  My bathroom may be particularly moldy, though.

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: Ayrios]
    #9699940 - 01/29/09 12:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't ever use the bathroom for anything to do with mycology.

Bathrooms are the most common place mold grows. Second to kitchens and 3rd is unfinished basements.

OfflineNac
Stranger

Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: birdisaword]
    #9700006 - 01/29/09 01:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The only time I ever get a whiff of the mushroom smell is when I open my terrarium to fan and mist.  If you smell like mushrooms, it's probably something else :crazy:

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: Nac]
    #9700018 - 01/29/09 01:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yea i wanna know wtf he smells hahahaha

Offlinebirdisaword
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Africa
    #9700219 - 01/29/09 02:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

smell is your strongest sense...
and yet in some people it is underdeveloped...

here is an interesting article for you
http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/2006/02/05/why-kids-dont-eat-their-greens/

I have no problem smelling mushrooms, even clean washed ones from the shop... and each type has a slightly diffirent smell too.

The smell is very fast to get used to, too...  unfortunatly I think it may be unpalatebale for the average guy on the street...

of course I haven't tried pf tek... but its the fungi I smell, not the rye... well actualy I smell the rye the first couple off days...

P.S. you guessed it, I don't realy eat veggies...

Offlineshmush
Stranger
    #9700235 - 01/29/09 02:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ok... i understand bathrooms are dirty.  as i said, i have cleaned, sanitized, and sterilized a bathroom TWICE for successful innoc w/o contam by using sterile technique and a sterilized glove box. 

HOWEVER the bathroom i used for previous work was the smaller downstairs bathroom, so its a good point  as  nunbuh suggested there could be mold in the showerhead or some other factor. PLEASE keep the ideas coming everyone it's highly appreciated. i have never tried innoc in the bathroom i am planning on using.

right now the plan is to innoc in the bathroom and I will have the incubator set up in that same bathroom. the incubator will be the basic 2 tupperware tubs w/ the fishtank heater. once the jars are in the incubator to colonize (with the lid SHUT at all times other than @ 1 week, 2 weeks, and to remove @ 3 weeks) would you guys say its safe to shower in the bathroom? i dont see why not as it would be clean inside the inc and covered nearly always. PLEASE keep the ideas coming everyone it's highly appreciated.

thanks again everyone. i'm glad to get back into mycology... i haven't been on here in a minute bc i've had no need, but it's great to get your feedback so quickly.

for all those who are hating on the bathroom.... where do you guys perform your inoculation?? 

and i'm really not cool w/ the mushroom smell could we get some more opinions on that ?? because my last FC was in a large bedroom w/ NO SMELL.

be easy
B

OfflineICdeadPeople
Fungi Fun Guy

Loc: sometimes MARS...
    #9700394 - 01/29/09 02:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i used the batthroom my 1st 3 times...1st time it worked (my gf cleaned) 2nd time contam (hungover) 3rd time, i cleaned the shit out of the batthroom, took EVERYTHING out, covered the vent, bleached and lysoled again. CONTAM!!! <---- last time i used the bathroom and never again.

Dude, get a clear bin, make 2 holes for ure hands, and there u go... Vualaa!! u have a glove box.  That will be ure best bet, very cheap easy and proven succesful.

--------------------
I'm ready to go on a GREAT adventure... Sitting here on the couch, eating my favorite snack :mushroom2:

Offlineshmush
Stranger
Re: Bathrooms... good and bad?? [Re: ICdeadPeople]
    #9706426 - 01/30/09 03:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

as i said... i have used the bathroom successful by using sterile technique AS WELL AS the use of a sterilized glove box. 

if the bathroom is a poor choice where do you guys typically perform your inoculations?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck