Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Quick agar question
    #9704306 - 01/30/09 06:09 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm just preparing some PDA for some transfers now. For 500ml of agar the recipe is as follows:

Potato Dextrose (Yeast-extract) Agar (PD(Y)A)
broth from boiling 150 grams sliced potatoes
in 500ml water for 30 minutes(add water to 500ml)
(You can use 5 g of instant potato flakes instead)
9 g agar agar
7 grams dextrose( = glucose, or 10 ml honey or corn syrup )
1 gram brewers yeast or yeast-extract (optional)

I weighed out a 150g potato. After peeling the weight was down to 115g so I made up the missing 35g with brown rice. Now that I've boiled it the resulting slurry is much thicker than it would have been with potato alone. Will this have a higher nutrient content? And if so how should I adjust the levels of the other ingredients to balance it out?

Really hope someone can help me on this.

Thanks a lot.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Quick agar question [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9704352 - 01/30/09 06:37 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Strain the potato broth through a coffee filter, the water is loaded in starches/sugars, you just do not want any potato debri or your agar will go south very quickly even after being sterilized and poured in a glovebox...

For some reason boiling potatoes myself I could never get it to work and I followed that tek to the T, the instant potato flakes work however.

personally, DFHA is the way I've been going for some time. Dog food, unpasteurized honey and of course agar :smile::thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: Quick agar question [Re: HybridprX]
    #9704437 - 01/30/09 07:31 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hehe. You didn't answer my question but thanks anyway. I just went ahead like normal in the end.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #9704708 - 01/30/09 09:26 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:

For some reason boiling potatoes myself I could never get it to work :

This doesnt surprise me

Quote:

johnny_poke said:
Hehe. You didn't answer my question but thanks anyway. I just went ahead like normal in the end.

you didnt have to substitue with flour. it should be fine either way.
Debris isnt a big issue, you want it to pour smoothly.
lumpy petris suck.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleCheeWiz
Male

#9704735 - 01/30/09 09:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hi; I'm using a post that I made last afternoon. It covers what your asking (instant potato flakes fall into the same area plus many times may contain meta sulfates) and also gives a good alternative to PDA. 

Hi: No not really, potato starch  is used as a thickening agent like corn starch. Back in the late 60's I taken a two semester long class on micro biology. Part of the class was that we had to demonstrate that we could prepare agar and one of them was potato dextrose agar. When preparing the potato it's a little more than boiling potato's in water and using the water they were cooked in. You dice the potato's so that you have the greatest possible surface area with out them falling apart while handling and cooking. You have to to do multiple soakings and water exchanges to remover as much starch as you could before cooking. What you want in the cooking water is the soluble fiber, proteins and part the the starch from the potato's.

Potato dextrose agar was at one time the standard for testing for molds and yeast in food. Because of this its always been associated with growing fungi.

A better agar for our hobby is an oatmeal and dextrose agar. This can be made very easily by mixing 40 grams rolled oats in 500cc/ml distilled water and letting sit over night or about 12 hours. Then bring this to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for about 30 minutes, then strain though some cheese cloth. To this filtered water your going to add 20 grams of dextrose or the equivalent amount of corn syrup or malt extract and enough distilled water to make a Liter. At this point you will want to bring it up to a simmer adding 20 grams agar, one to two gram peptone or yeast extract if you have it and remove from the heat stirring to dissolve the agar (I do this on a water bath to help avoided over cooking). Transfer the agar to what ever your going to sterilize it in and sterilize.

A variation is to use 60 to 70 grams rolled oats with 6 grams of malt (diastase) flour into 500cc/ml distilled water and let set over night, process as above but omitting any dextrose, corn syrup, malt exact and peptone or yeast extract . The diastase in the malt flour will act on the some of the soluble fiber and starch to make Dextrins, FOS and Maltose. This is a great medium for dung living mushrooms due to the FOS like soluble fiber that is easily broken down to butyric acid that some dung lovers need.

I hope this came be of use to you. Hipster

Edited by CheeWiz (02/01/09 03:34 AM)

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: Quick agar question [Re: CheeWiz]
    #9704870 - 01/30/09 10:10 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Nice one hipster. I'll save that recipe for next time.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9705267 - 01/30/09 11:40 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Also, don't worry too much about nutrients in agar.  Fewer are better than too much.  You want to encourage growth, and a low nutrient agar stimulates more growth than one that makes your mycelium fat and happy.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag