Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
City to vote on Juárez violence measure minus drug debate [US: TX]
    #9693563 - 01/28/09 09:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

In an ongoing story, the city of El Paso TX, which has a sister city in Juarez MEX, is frantically trying to find a way to quell the violence which is occurring across the river in Mexico. City council tried to open the debate to legalization/decriminalization, but was vetoed by the higher ups.

By Gustavo Reveles Acosta / El Paso Times
Posted: 01/27/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

EL PASO -- City Council on Tuesday will once again vote on a resolution condemning the violence that has led to the killings of more than 1,600 people in Juárez, but this time, no debate on the legalization of drugs will be discussed.

Earlier this month, the council received national attention when South-West city Rep. Beto O'Rourke amended the Juárez resolution to include language that asked the federal government to debate the merits of decriminalizing narcotics. (related story:O' Rourke: 70% now back legalization)

His amendment was backed unanimously but was vetoed by Mayor John Cook. After receiving letters and calls from U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes and the El Paso delegation to the Texas Legislature urging the council to back Cook or risk losing federal and state money, the council decided not to overturn the veto.

O'Rourke, who was openly critical of Reyes, said he doesn't plan on including any amendments when the resolution comes up for vote this time.

"It's important for the city of El Paso to be on the record as condemning the violence that has caused so much grief in our sister city of Ciudad Juárez," he said.

O'Rourke added, "But I think it's still important to have the type of conversations that will truly address the drug issues along the border É even if they make the established leadership uncomfortable."

The resolution, which was drafted by the Border Relations Committee, outlines several steps the federal and Mexican governments should take in order to help ease the drug-related violence that has plagued the border for more than a year.

Some of the recommendations include better U.S. funding of crime-prevention programs for the Mexican law-enforcement agencies and the increased presence of Mexican troops in the state of Chihuahua.

Members of the committee, which issued a statement of support when O'Rourke made the controversial amendment, said Tuesday that it is important for the city to ratify the resolution, even without the amendment.

"The committee feels that a resolution needs to be passed because of the severity of the situation within our border community" chairman Jose Contreras said in a prepared statement. "Thus, the committee will ask the city council of El Paso to approve the É as it was originally proposed to the city council."

Others in El Paso, including some who said they didn't approve of the amendment O'Rourke had included in the original resolution, said they are happy to see the issue back on the agenda.

"This is not the time to legalize drugs," said Eastsider Jorge Ortiz, who has family across the border. "It's time to fix Juárez before it's too late."

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: City to vote on Juárez violence measure minus drug debate [US: TX] [Re: Green_T]
    #9693659 - 01/28/09 10:40 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EL PASO -- City Council on Tuesday will once again vote on a resolution condemning the violence that has led to the killings of more than 1,600 people in Juárez, but this time, no debate on the legalization of drugs will be discussed.

Idiots.

Councilman 1, do you condemn the violence? I do!
Councilman 2, do you condemn the violence? I do!
Councilman 3, do you condemn the violence? I do!
Councilman 4, do you condemn the violence? I do!
Councilman 5, do you condemn the violence? I do!

Problem solved!

--------------------

Offlinesorahtak
Tiger Hugger

Re: City to vote on Juárez violence measure minus drug debate [US: TX] [Re: Green_T]
    #9693786 - 01/28/09 11:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Infuriating. I really don't know what else to say.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #9693890 - 01/28/09 12:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I find it highly promising to see the dialogue turning to reasonable means.  The fact that some politicians are even debating the benefits of legalization/decriminalization is an improvement.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9693898 - 01/28/09 12:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

"This is not the time to legalize drugs," said Eastsider Jorge Ortiz, who has family across the border. "It's time to fix Juárez before it's too late."

And whats wrong with Juarez?  Many problems which are being caused by prohibition of drugs.

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: City to vote on Juárez violence measure minus drug debate [US: TX] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9694071 - 01/28/09 01:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

^ that last line doesnt make sense to me either.

Once prohibition ends here, Mexico will also end it. Corporations will produce weed, meth, and other chemicals domestically, which will hurt the Mexican methamphetamine and chemical trade. Cocaine will be the only tricky one, but I imagine a US company will pay the coke farmers more than FARC pays them, and thus take over the trade and the coke market. The cartel money would dry up over night, as even if they tried to relinquish control of the trade, it would be near impossible for them. They would have to shift their markets to places that would still have prohibition.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9694256 - 01/28/09 01:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cocaine will be the only tricky one, but I imagine a US company will pay the coke farmers more than FARC pays them, and thus take over the trade and the coke market.

While coca does grow just fine here, if legalized it would probably be more like coffee which they import.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: City to vote on Juárez violence measure minus drug debate [US: TX] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9694978 - 01/28/09 03:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Once weed and shrooms are legal, cocaine will not be used as much.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order