Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline1dude1
The DivineMaster ofBubbles

Loc: Colo-fuckin-rado
losing the battle against humidity
    #9690462 - 01/27/09 06:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

no matter what i try i can't get my humidity to go above 80%(according to my digital hygrometer, my analogue on says 92% but i think i'm trusting the digital one) i tried draining out as much water as i could to make sure that i have enough water to cover my water heater, i drilled a hole in the side of my terrarium about 1 1/4 in under the top layer of lava rock and perilite. well that got my humidity from 75 to 80. but idk what else i can try, i even started getting damp perilite and spreading it around the walls of my terrarium and down the middle so i pretty much added another 1/2 inch of damp perilite and a mound over both bubble places about 2 in big. i also switched from a lamp with a uv filter(couldn't find out what kind of light it was) to a led lighting system i didn't think would work with a timer(but it does hell yeah). well the led doesn't have risk of fire as did the last one, so i'm able to place the light on my terrarium and cover the thing with towels and cloths to try and prevent humidity from escaping. i even increased the humidity in my room from 30 % to 66% and that didn't do too much. i am at a loss as to what to do if this piling perilite everywhere doesn't work. does anybody have any suggestions as to what i can do. i have a venta sonic mist humidifier that i can hook up to my terrarium(i sometimes do using gladware) but i don't know how to hook it up well, because i read that it can over saturate the cakes so i needed to slow it down, well i put it on its highest setting besides constant and with the lid propped open i let it spew in mist, i blocked most of the holes in it with towels, when i woke up i discovered that the humidity in my room had increased and shut off my humidifier for who knows how long, but my terrarium was completely void of mist. i really have no clue where to turn next, but this has been a battle for far too long.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
I'm too sober to handle this!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshinsizzle
shortbus
Male

Loc: WA
Re: losing the battle against humidity [Re: 1dude1]
    #9690531 - 01/27/09 06:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm still pretty new myself, but I can say the chances of your digital hygrometer being very accurate are pretty slim. It helps alot to mist with a spray bottle also. The sonic mist humidifier, if properly hooked up should make 100 percent rh no problem. What are you growing on(brf, casing, etc.)? What does the mycelium look like? Can you take a picture?

--------------------
Fungus, better on substrate than your genitals.

Offline1dude1

Re: losing the battle against humidity [Re: shinsizzle]
    #9690553 - 01/27/09 06:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

brf cakes, well right now the blue spot that was on some has faded and is almost invisable. i'll take a picture but i don't have a high quality camera. i'll post it in a minute

--------------------

Offlineflugelizor
Furious ball of nothing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western NY
    #9690579 - 01/27/09 06:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Have you calibrated the two hygrometers with salt+water brine to see if one is accurate?

The process is to fill a soda bottle cap with salt, drip two or three drops of water into the salt, then seal your hygrometer in a zip top freezer bag with the salt cap. Wait a couple of hours, and your humidity should be exactly 75%

Offline1dude1

#9690650 - 01/27/09 07:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i have not done that, never even heard about that before, so i will do that but i have pics that i'm gettin off my camera right now, but yeah thats a must for me tonight. will the lid from my rubbing alcohol or H2O2 do?

oh and weather they are accurate or not doesn't really matter because i know its low, i put them in the terrarium new years eve and they still won't pin. everything else is good, i have a light cycle of 12/12 and my fae is controled by my airpump, i used to have a too hot temp and while i was moving my terrarium the pump broke so i had to buy a new one and it isn't doing as well as my last, but its also running a 2 input system with only one and doing it well. i had to burn close the other input.

thanks

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9690677 - 01/27/09 07:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Why don't you just shitcan all that crap, get an analog hygrometer and calibrate it by wrapping in a damp towel for an hour, and then unwrapping and adjust so it reads 99%.  The salt calibration method doesn't work for our purposes, since we run in the upper 90% range.  I've posted for years that digital hygrometers are shit, but you guys keep on buying them anyway.

Build a shotgun terrarium, and it will serve you well.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshinsizzle
shortbus
Male

Re: losing the battle against humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9690747 - 01/27/09 07:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Whatever RR says is gold. Do it.

--------------------

Offline1dude1

#9690754 - 01/27/09 07:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

iv been thinking about a shotgun terrarium but i feel like the perilite will dry out way to fast. and what is preventing contams from falling in? how do i adjust an analogue hygrowmeter? i mean i really bought this yesterday because my electric one wasn't working. the screen will fade so bad its hard to read, i got a pic give a min for that, and also it can't stand high humidity without dieing. how wet should the towel be? just wet to the touch and obviously damp, or dripping?

Edit: i'm gonna stick with this one untill i get a flush, then change to that one for my next flushes, i just don't trust myself pulling the cakes out of the terrarium unless i'm dunking. unless i can't get my humidity up

--------------------

Edited by 1dude1 (01/27/09 07:28 PM)

InvisibleMushHunter08
Mycological Pupil
Male

Loc: B.F.E
    #9690801 - 01/27/09 07:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

100% colonized cakes are extremely contaminate resistant. Also the more FAE you introduce, the less likely you are to have contaminates. Contaminates love stale air. Not fresh moving/ changing air. Most analog hygrometers can be calibrated by a small screw in the back of the unit. Do not use a dripping wet towel to calibrate it either. The towel should be noticeably wet to the touch but not dripping water everywhere.

--------------------
"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough."
-William Blake-

The most simple method of growing mushrooms:
www.mushroomvideos.com

MultiSync's lazy bastard print/syringe guide

Offline1dude1

#9690986 - 01/27/09 08:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

and still if it helps here are the pictures

my electric hygrometer, see how the screen is hard to read

this is my analogue one, it's much easier on the eyes

this is my whole setup
notice the lamp between the venta and the terrarium, that is the lamp i was trying to use before. you can see my pump, lights, everything

these are my babies i did a few 2 cake experiments. the two on the right wall closest are directly on the mix, the 2 in the back are both on jar lids but wern't covered with verm (i had to answer my question i don't think it's to late to do so) and the two on the left front are both covered with verm and on jarlids, these two fell over while moving my terrarium.

these are my babies getting covered with a nice fine mist from the ultrasonic. notice how the lid is proped open and the gladware is transporting the mist(works better than i planed, none of the mist is lost in the crack between the two and is shot into the base of my terrarium provideing great circulation.)

my terrarium burried under towels, i'm trying to hold in my humidity.

thanks you guys, id rather stay with this one for right now because i'm giving this box away so i can upgrade(downsize) to a terrarium or monotub, that i can fit in my closet. i'm starting to get agrivated at winter for burying all the horse shit i could possibly ever want. 5 horses produce a shit ton. also at the pftek for being so precise on humidity conditions, where as a monotub i hear is really easy, i just need the shit.

thanks you guys

also i would like to point out, if you see my monitor that the humidity in my room is almost enough for a casing 87% god damn why can't i get my humidity up in that box.

--------------------

Offlineshinsizzle
shortbus
Male

#9691045 - 01/27/09 08:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That digital hygrometer is shit. I personally have one and only use it to tell the temp in my incubation chamber. If you set it out for a day you'll be able to read it again. Its fading out because there's too much water in it. Safe to say that the humidity is pretty high if it full of water. The digital one also only reads up to 95 percent, not 100.

--------------------

Offline1dude1

Re: losing the battle against humidity [Re: shinsizzle]
    #9691151 - 01/27/09 08:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

iv seen my digital one go up to 99, then it started to die from being in my terrarium for too long, then it did this screen thing.

still any suggestions on how to raise this humidity instead of changing terrariums?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9691196 - 01/27/09 08:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

still any suggestions on how to raise this humidity instead of changing terrariums?

Christ, you can't get more humidity than a solid fog like that.  You're going to soak everything, ruining your stuff.  The LAST thing you need to be worried about is low humidity.  Throw that piece of shit digital hygrometer away.  The rest of your questions have already been answered above, you just don't want to listen.  Fresh air exchange is the NUMBER 1 pinning trigger because it causes an evaporation of moisture away from your cakes, which you then replace by misting.  Get that towel off of there, leave the lid propped open, and allow it to dry out after blasting it with that ultrasonic.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: losing the battle against humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9691282 - 01/27/09 08:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

my friend!

if you are not using a shotgun FC then you can do a few things with your present setup. Mist only about 3-5 times a day and use a coolmist to provide your fresh air exchange. Keep your lid closed when cool mist isn't running for humidity.

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Offline1dude1

#9692024 - 01/27/09 10:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i hardly use the humidifier in my terrarium. but yeah the digital is already in the trash, i'm doing the towel thing tonight. and i just want to get away from the ultrasonic it's just confusing me with its useage. so i'm gonna calibrate my monitor then i'll post again

Thanks everybody

EDIT: shouldn't the air pump be able to handle fae well? and if not well enough then should i just drill holes or just scrap the whole thing and go for the shotgun?

--------------------

Edited by 1dude1 (01/27/09 10:44 PM)

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
    #9692267 - 01/27/09 11:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have never used an air pump but I cannot imagine it being very effective especially in CO2 intolerant strains.  Fresh air means FRESH AIR.  Sitting indoors for a few hours and then going outside one can feel the effects of FRESH AIR as opposed to available indoor air.  I live ina a COLD climate and still opena  window fully to regenerate the available fresh air in the "boom room" and that way the air being delivered by my cool mist and hand fanning is that much better.  Seems to work well.
By the time the small sputter of room air that goes through an aquarium pump and bubble stone gets to your babies it probably tastes like a Tijuana tour bus exhaust to them.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Offline1dude1

#9693216 - 01/28/09 07:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i was told pumps handle fae maybe that is my problem and not humidity, i did the calibration by wrapping it in a towell and when i pulled it out it says 92% so i tried to adjust it but there is no screw but 3 holes and i stuck a thumbtac in each one and tried to turn the paper but it didn't work and just ripped the paper, so i'm just gonna leave it at 92 and just remember that. now it is seeming like a fae thing but i only suspect that they need oxygen and the pump gives that to them and its bubble filtered so maybe. i'm still gonna start fanning but should i add some holes near the bottom and use polyfil or micropore to cover then to help increase fae

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9693237 - 01/28/09 07:26 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Pumps are good. Mine can move 350 liters an hour. I primarily use it not to provide fresh air, but to get some additional air circulation going, sort of what a mushroom would expect in the outdoors. Stale, standing air is what molds love. I agree that it's not necessary with a martha or greenhouse - like I use - that has enough slits, but it can't really do any harm either. Fresh breeze FTW.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offline1dude1

Re: losing the battle against humidity [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9696690 - 01/28/09 08:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ah yeah i actually discovered that i can leave the lid off an inch and still have good humidity, like still 100 i think that extra perilite did something good. but i have fanned like 4 times today, and will more. also with misting i have found contradicting information so i would like to know. do i mist directly or do i spray the walls of my terrariu? i have done both but not a close direct mist, i held the bottle about 2 feet away and sprayed in. or could i just turn on my humidifier like shown above for like 5 min then leave the lid cracked and count that as a mist?

--------------------

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
    #9696817 - 01/28/09 08:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

OP- make a mark on your hygro at 92% and just know that is 99% now.  All hygrometers actuated by the coil device are only accurate within a smaller range than 0-100 like 20% either way so you now know where your goal is.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains