Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebosch
Small scale grows for isolates
    #9664433 - 01/23/09 10:23 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have been looking at trying to get strain isolates for my future grows. After a bit of research, it seems that it may be better to, at least at first, grow out strains on agar by cloning from a fruiting body rather than from spore solution, assuming I am starting from a new syringe, as that way there is a much higher likelihood of the selected, hopefully rhizomorphic strain I isolate, will be one that will actually produce fruiting bodies and not just grow out on the substrate and stagnate. Correct me if I am wrong on this, however.

In this case, once again assuming I am starting from a new vendor-supplied syringe, it seems like itd be most convinient to start extremely small-scale grows in order to produce some fruiting bodies in the most quick and dirty manner possible so as to get to finding a prefered isolate with as little hassle as possible.

Id like opinions as to the best way to go about this. Ive seen some projects growing straight out of jars, but this route seems like there isnt much control over environmental factors. Casings arent THAT much more work, but they are certainly more cumbersome than nothing. Please keep in mind I am rather new at this and have only done a few basic casing grows thusfar. Also, I am primarily interested in gourmet species, which seem to be for the most part CO2 intolerant. Would jars/casings in a perhaps perlite-lined container with a plastic sheet-covering to maintain humidity suffice? I worry thatd be too much CO2 though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Small scale grows for isolates [Re: bosch]
    #9664528 - 01/23/09 10:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Isolate strains on agar, and then use brf cakes to fruit each strain you isolate to determine the best performers.  Getting fruiting strains is easy.  Getting fruiting strains with the other qualities you desire is the purpose of isolation.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: Small scale grows for isolates [Re: bosch]
    #9664546 - 01/23/09 10:41 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i would make some bags and either fruit invitro or for the CO2 intolerant species you can setup a small greenhouse using almost any type of container and a humidifier, still using bags its a pretty easy and quick process

either way, spores or clone, you should use agar dishes to isolate a healthy sector, then as RR said, fruit various strains on cakes or bags and see which ones perform the best

Offlinewedaft
Imperceptive Pidgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: Small scale grows for isolates [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9688101 - 01/27/09 11:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Isolate strains on agar, and then use brf cakes to fruit each strain you isolate to determine the best performers.  Getting fruiting strains is easy.  Getting fruiting strains with the other qualities you desire is the purpose of isolation.
RR

So I'm trying to imagine ways to inoculate brf cakes from an agar wedge but am having trouble. Can you just insert an agar wedge directly after sterilization or will that not work/be too contaminate prone? Thought about making mycelium syringes as well but I don't have a lot of extra syringes. What's the easiest way to do this?

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Small scale grows for isolates [Re: wedaft]
    #9688142 - 01/27/09 11:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Can you just insert an agar wedge directly after sterilization or will that not work/be too contaminate prone?

If you do it inside a well bleached glove box, it should be fine.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Small scale grows for isolates [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9688182 - 01/27/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If you've progressed to agar and strain isolation, your sterile technique skills should have advanced to the point where you can make brf cakes without the verm barrier, using tyvek or synthetic filter disks instead.  In this case, you can open the jar and drop a wedge right in.

An alternative is to squirt some sterile water on top of the partially colonized agar, stir the mycelium into the water, and then draw it back out with a syringe.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate