Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshogun221
God in the Wired

Plastic baggie tek?
    #967871 - 10/17/02 02:41 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Some of you may remember my my earlier post asking whether or not my cat needed to birth his cakes early.

Since then, my cat buckled down, cutting away the uncolonized substate, dunking and birthing the cake. However, instead of throwing away the (mostly)uncolonized substrate, he crumbled it and put it in a small ziplock with a teeny bit of spring water. Results have been astonishing. In 10 hours a tiny bit of mycelium has almost colonized the entire substrate bag!

This got him to wondering...the other 2 jars he has look like they may need to be birthed early too...what if he got some gallon-sized ziplocks and crumbled the entire cake in them? What would be the pros/cons of doing this? Also, is there any easy(and by easy, I mean no pressure-cooker crap, right PH, etc) way to case these cakes? Help would be appreciated

--------------------
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. ~FDR"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
Re: Plastic baggie tek? [Re: shogun221]
    #967967 - 10/17/02 03:20 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

While I'm sure there are many, the ones that immediately jump to my mind:

Pros: Because there is no air exchange, contamination seems unlikely.

Cons: Because there is no air exchange, excessive CO2/humidity seems likely (which could halt colonization).

If you modified your bags a little (adding a filter patch), and took care to innoculate in a relatively sterile environment you should be able to spawn more and more brf/verm substrate (this method is similar to how you would exponentially expand spawn when working with grain). If the mycelium is healthy enough to withstand it, you might try adding a little hydrogen peroxide with the spring water as a further precaution (this would momentarily halt growth, but once the mycelium adjusts, it should start colonizing again).

As for casings, you should do your best to sterilize the ingredients, whatever you decide on (vermiculate, peat, oyster shells, hydrated lime, coco coir, any combination thereof, etc). If you don't have a PC, I suggest you bake the casing in a covered tray in the oven (dry or relatively dry) and then add sterile water incrementaly to bring the casing up to the desired moisture content.

Straight vermiculate is the classic first timer casing, but using a tried and true formula like the 50/50+ casing is not much more difficult and will likely give you better results.

Offlineshogun221
God in the Wired

Re: Plastic baggie tek? [Re: bowling-name]
    #968047 - 10/17/02 04:04 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the help.

Since the jars are 80-90% colonized, I'm not sure that CO/2 humidity would be a problem, simply because the bags wouldn't be closed for long. Since a grow chamber is already set up, the bags will probably be opened up and put in there.

A few more (tougher)questions though..

1) How do you know when to 'birth' a bag? Does crumbling the substrate mean that the mycelium needs to re-establish its networks before it can be birthed?

2) Does the substrate require a certain "depth" before it can fruit?

--------------------
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. ~FDR"

OfflineUser Exists
Lost again

Loc: The sticks
    #968874 - 10/17/02 01:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

How do you steralize the baggie?  There would be a good possability for contams if you just opened the bag and tossed in the cake to be crumbled, right. :confused: 

--------------------
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious;
it is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of
true art and true science.
-Albert Einstein

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #969322 - 10/17/02 03:47 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

1) If you are casing, wait until colonization is at 100%.  If not, in theory, you could fruit right out of the bags, so no birthing would be required--just open them up and stick 'em in the terrarium after they are fully colonized. 

2)  Since it is possible to fruit directly off of an agar plate, I don't think it is the depth, but more the nutritive content of the substrate that is important; also the introduction of light/air exchanges/cooler temps are all going to play a bigger role in initiating fruiting by encouraging the mycelium to emerge from its vegetative state. 

This 'baggie tek' should probably be used as a last resort (ie, only if your jars won't finish colonizing).  If you still don't see growth in the bags after a couple days (incubate in a warm dark place), then you probably will have to cut away the uncolonized cake with a sterile fork/scalpel/etc.  Sounds like this is working for you though...

:smile: 

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Loc: La La Land
Re: Plastic baggie tek? [Re: bowling-name]
    #969450 - 10/17/02 04:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

the baggie tek WORKS<,, i've done it and posted about it..

I had a cake that fell on the ground and i did not want to put it in my terranium so i washed it under plain tap water and put it in a sandwitch bag, folded the top over and BINGO mushies in about 2 weeks.

strange but it worked.!!

This was a fluke but i was lucky.

clean the outside of the bag with alcohol or lysol and open it up inside your chamber. you should be ok!

--------------------
************************************.>>>>>
Here Johny,, have a joint.. all your friends are doing it!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation