Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Extracting DMT in the cold?
    #9675778 - 01/25/09 11:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I just extracted some dmt in the cold outdoors using STB, would this effect how much the caustic soda would pull? I am trying to figure out what i did wrong as i appear to have very little. another thing i did was i did not leave the caustic soda to react. I used the golden ratio an I'm sure i should have got more of this. I used swan lighter fluid which is supposedly part toulene. Could this have anything to do with it?

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChemEng
 User Gallery
Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Extracting DMT in the cold? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9676200 - 01/25/09 12:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The solubility of DMT in your solvent will be very low at cold temperatures. This is the whole point of freeze precipitation: dissolve as much DMT in the solvent as possible at room temperature (or greater), then lower the temperature/solubility of the solvent so that the DMT crystals precipitate out. If you start out at a cold temperature you aren't going to be getting much DMT.

Also I'm not sure but I think temperature affects the rate of the basification (ie, the lye might not be breaking down the bark particles thoroughly enough at low temperatures).

The extraction will be most effective at room temperature or greater.

OfflineChemEng
 User Gallery
Re: Extracting DMT in the cold? [Re: ChemEng]
    #9676232 - 01/25/09 12:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I should add that you'll probably be able to salvage quite a bit of DMT if you bring the bark/lye/water inside to warmer temperatures and do a few more pulls. Heating the solvent in a hot water bath prior to adding it to the bark/lye will also help. Give each step some time to complete - if you rush things you're just compromising your yield.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Extracting DMT in the cold? [Re: ChemEng]
    #9676278 - 01/25/09 12:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

thanks very much i will heat up my solution tommorow, i have had the caustic soda + Bark mixture in the garage for three days, should i only heat it up during the pull or does it need to be warm consistently?

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineChemEng
 User Gallery
Re: Extracting DMT in the cold? [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9676380 - 01/25/09 01:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just in case the caustic soda reaction has not proceeded enough in the cold, I would bring the mixture up to room temperature and leave it there for at least 1 hour. You could add the solvent at any time (longer is better) and just roll the container gently. For the second or third pull I like to submerge the container in hot tap water for 20 minutes or so (you don't want it to be too hot or you'll get too many impurities in your solvent - if you have a thermometer, limit the temperature to no greater than 40 C or 100 F). While it's in the hot bath, roll the mixture a few times every few minutes to ensure the most DMT possible gets dissolved in your solvent. Then allow the layers to settle out (this could take some time depending on how vigorously you mixed it - don't shake it or else you might end up with a useless layer of foam that never separates) and remove the solvent for freeze-precipitation.

If you're using a small amount of bark (100 g or less) and a large volume of solvent you may want to evaporate your solvent using a fan to a portion of its original volume prior to freeze-precipitation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale