Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

Cake Cloning
    #9672908 - 01/24/09 07:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know why more people dont do this...

Take either:
A. PF cakes that colonize quickly and are FULLY COLONIZED, or

B. Cakes that have shown prolific fruiting invitro, or

C.(riskier but works well!) A spent but successful cake.

Then take between 3 and 6 sterilized BRF jars, ready for inoculation. Sterilize the hell out of your work area, which should include a large, STERILE bowl. Lysol everything, your gloves, the outside of the jars you are working with, EVERYTHING.

Break up the cake you wish to clone into the smallest pieces you can, into the bowl. Empty the BRF jars with a spoon, one by one into the bowl. I set the verm in a pile on the side to go back on top of the jars. Mix everything so that the mycelium is evenly dispersed. Put back in jars, and this might take some practice working with sterilized brf as it is stickier and you are likely to make a mess if you havent got the technique down. Dont worry if it is a little uneven, a few crevices are actually nice bc it gives the cake more surface area to pin. And boy do they pin.

Place in incubating temps (mid eighties), and growth resumes instantly.

After one day, the little pieces will still be slightly bruised, but visibly growing. In 3-5 days the jars will be fully colonized and should fruit within 2 weeks.

The first time I tried this I thought it wouldnt work. I have done it with spent cakes, yet I HAVE NEVER LOST A JAR TO CONTAMS DOING THIS. It is amazingly fast, and you can expect high yields. I dont know why this is, but on most cakes the pinning occurs in large clumps, usually off of the top or the bottom. The cakes I have made this way pin all over the place. Like, never a flush with 5 big shrooms, always 30 or so immature ones. I still like to do my jars from spores, but I think I will use this tek for spent cakes that have impressed me. It is much quicker than cloning tissue for an LC, and it doesnt mean that you cant do that on top of it. It just means that you will have 5 jars of your prized strain fruiting while your LC jars are still colonizing.

--------------------
I think therefore I am not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Cake Cloning [Re: DomiNero]
    #9672919 - 01/24/09 07:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You can actually do a grain to grain kind thing with a pf cake. But it has to be freshly birthed in a sterile enviroment (glovebox,flowhood) to work.

You cant use a spent cake. The mycelium is old and weak, plus its covered in contaminants.

Another thing you can do, is put a fresh cake into a jar that had a fully colinised cake. There will be myceliam on the glass and that should colinise a fresh cake. There was a tek a while back about it.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Cake Cloning [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9672975 - 01/24/09 08:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Cloning tissue on LC - or agar - is a whole different animal.

When you clone a piece of mushroom tissue, you only clone the genetics of that particular fruit. In other words, only the strain(s) that produced that fruit, and you will be very likely to get those same characteristics in the next grows.

By "cloning" a whole cake, you clone all the different strains that are in a multispore-inoculated cake. In other words, it's not cloning at all. It's more like G2G but with cakes.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#9673072 - 01/24/09 08:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i like this idea DomiNero and will definitely try that next time. maybe even try to expand into more substrate, just for grins.
thanks for the idea,
houdinihar

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: dead]
    #9673127 - 01/24/09 08:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

First I would like to say I have been using spent cakes(I shave the outside off, but it might work without doing that), so to say it won't work is foolish; it does work. Second, this technique is very similar to G2G, but flowhood? Glovebox? I have been doing this for the past three months, I live in a studio, my bed and a couch with cat hair stuck on it are all in the same room as my ops, AND I HAVE YET TO LOSE ONE JAR THIS WAY. The f'ing things are done in 3 days, and like pretty much everyone else I use the most contam resistant strains.

Dead, I see your point, but a fully colonized cake from not too diverse a strain (i.e. the SAME SPORE PRINT) have already undergone anastamosis, and have traded off their nuclei. The cakes I get from this result are, like my LC's, identical.

Pisses me off to get ignorant comments from people who haven't even tried it, and probably never will because... I don't really know.

Anyway, if anyone does want to try this tonight, they could be eating muchos mas hongos in only a few short weeks...

--------------------

Offlinemonkeybus
Hare Krishna
 User Gallery

#9674262 - 01/25/09 01:19 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You really are better off just injecting some sterile water into a cake, giving it a shake, and suck it back up again.  If you want to "clone" cakes, that would be far safer, and less work all around.

Still, to his own.

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: monkeybus]
    #9677503 - 01/25/09 04:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

monkeybus said:
You really are better off just injecting some sterile water into a cake, giving it a shake, and suck it back up again.  If you want to "clone" cakes, that would be far safer, and less work all around.

Still, to his own.

I don't understand why you guys are having a hard time getting this.

So I have my syringe (which mind you will be more than likely contaminated), and then what? Do I inoculate a sterile BRF jar with it? That is risky and stupid as shit, that is what I would do to grow mold.

THIS IS NOT A TEK ON TISSUE CLONING. If I wanted a stable clone I would take a piece of tissue and throw it in a sterile jar with a dextrose/h2o solution. In fact that is what I do.

This is a tek to take one cake that's ready to fruit (or already fruiting), and turn it into a half dozen jars fruiting in about 2 weeks (or less!)

Show me another way to (with a delay of ONLY 2 WEEKS) increase your yield 500%.

I have been doing this for a few months and AM AMAZED at the results I am getting. You guys are all saying the stupidest shit, I don't know why you can't wrap your heads around this one.

Seriously, I haven't read advice this good on this board in years, and all I get is a bunch of idiots saying that it won't work or it is too much work! It takes less than 2 minutes to do this! Fucking retard!

--------------------

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #9677533 - 01/25/09 04:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You could stop being douchebag. That's generally the best way to get your point across.

Then again, you're yelling at people for ignoring your tek on PF Cakes, which most people grow out of in a month or two tops.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: Brennus]
    #9677643 - 01/25/09 04:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I call bullshit.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:

Offlinerollinhard
I typically use search
 User Gallery

Loc: state
    #9677707 - 01/25/09 04:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

you could just us wbs jars, they are done in 10 days!! Thats less then 2 weeks!  :cool: makes syringes from that rinse and repeat.

Quote:

So I have my syringe (which mind you will be more than likely contaminated), and then what?

sterilize it?

--------------------
So what if I don't have a lot of post, I use the magical "search"!

Edited by rollinhard (01/25/09 04:54 PM)

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9677743 - 01/25/09 04:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

LOL BULLSHIT.

Try it, you will believe me in a few days.

PF cakes are probably what the majority of cubies are cultivated on. It isn't the highest yielder, but a shitload of people grow on cakes. And they're beautiful in their own right.

I am not trying to be a douche bag, but I am frustrated that I have posted a very useful and proven tek, that is useful to me (at least) and to anyone wanting to produce a volume of cakes, and people are telling me
A. it won't work.
B. try this crappy way of making an LC and quit wasting your time.

Shooting sterile water into a cake to get a culture sounds like it won't work, but I haven't tried it. But I can guarantee it isn't as fast as this tek.

--------------------

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: rollinhard]
    #9677768 - 01/25/09 04:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rollinhard said:
you could just us wbs jars, they are done in 10 days!! Thats less then 2 weeks!  :cool: makes syringes from that rinse and repeat.

Quote:

So I have my syringe (which mind you will be more than likely contaminated), and then what?

sterilize it?

Are you kidding?

--------------------

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #9677787 - 01/25/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: Premedman1]
    #9677906 - 01/25/09 05:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Where is Tahoe when we need him...

--------------------

Links:

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678038 - 01/25/09 05:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Spawning to bulk?

--------------------

Links:

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: Premedman1]
    #9678072 - 01/25/09 05:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:
:popcorn:

^

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: Cake Cloning [Re: Jitsu]
    #9678085 - 01/25/09 05:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen:  :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen: :picdidnthappen:

--------------------

Links:

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678095 - 01/25/09 05:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
Where is Tahoe when we need him...

This tek works.

I am not telling you to do it, keep going with whatever you're doing. But to people growing on cakes this is a very useful tek. You misunderstood the post from the beginning. And I know about that 'other animal', and probably have much more experience streaking than you (judging from your first post. You're genetics lesson sucked, and you are crazy if you think that dikaryotes can't mate.

--------------------

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678121 - 01/25/09 05:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dead said:
Quote:

Spawning to bulk?

Maybe the thread title isn't clear enough... This is a tek for cakes.;)

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678156 - 01/25/09 05:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

to people growing on cakes this is a very useful tek.

I disagree.

Quote:

You're genetics lesson sucked, and you are crazy if you think that dikaryotes can't mate.

When have I ever said that?

You're the one who needs a lesson.
Multispore is multispore. Each time you use MS to inoculate a substrate you end up hundreds of different strains on your substrate. Some of them may mate, some of them will be incompatible and cannot mate. Anyway in the best situation - if you're lucky - you'll have only compatible strains, and they will form a single organism. This organism acts as one, but it will still contain various strains with each having their own genetic information, and each fruit that it produces will be a product of different genetics.

Also there will be strains that are inable to fruit at all. Just mooching off your substrate, doing nothing.

When you clone from tissue, or better yet, isolate on agar, you avoid all of this.

There is just so much wrong with your "tek" I don't know where to start.

Spent cakes are spent. The mycelium is old and tired, and riddled with contams besides, using them to inoculate anything won't end well.

Your sterile procedures are inadequate. Just because you supposedly got away with it a few times doesn't mean it will fly in the long run. You can't just use normal cakes with only a verm barrier for a filter as G2G. Not to mention not using a glovebox or flowhood.

Also, your "tek" aside, your attitude sucks. You come here all high and mighty like, "if you don't like my tek go fuck yourselves". It's not a good way to make friends on the Shroomery.

--------------------

Links:

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678179 - 01/25/09 05:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DomiNero said:
Quote:

dead said:
Spawning to bulk?

Maybe the thread title isn't clear enough... This is a tek for cakes.;)

You claim to have experience/knowledge and you don't even know you can spawn cakes to bulk?

--------------------

Links:

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678291 - 01/25/09 06:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You come on a thread that I posted saying it doesn't work (I have been doing it for months). Won't fly in the long run? I haven't lost a jar yet. Maybe you don't understand: pieces of living (and yes spent cakes though not producing shrooms are still alive) mycelium are mixed evenly in the uncolonized substrate, and thus have to travel a centimeter or so to fully colonize the substrate. This is done in a few days, so mold has no time to get the substrate. And no I don't have a flowhood. And yes my current grow is on very limited means, and this tek has helped me get healthy and high yields with very little work.

I dunk my cakes till they stop producing (and I use h2o2 for all you naysayers), and so a spent cake of mine is not a dry dead cake.

Go do your bulk and leave this thread alone. This is a thread for people for whom this 'tek' might prove useful. You have said things about this tek (such as it doesn't work) which are foolish based on the fact that they haved been proved in my tiny room, with no flowhood... No pics, no camera, not a lot of anything, but A SHITLOAD OF SHROOMS.

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678301 - 01/25/09 06:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Talk is cheap. Pics or it didn't happen, man.

--------------------

Links:

Offlinerollinhard
I typically use search
 User Gallery

#9678339 - 01/25/09 06:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DomiNero said:
Quote:

rollinhard said:

Quote:

sterilize it?

Are you kidding?

are you kidding?

--------------------

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678350 - 01/25/09 06:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It did happen, but I didn't take pics.

But it will happen again, and I will have someone take pics.

Sit tight buddy.

And you will be pleased to see the cakes all fruiting identically (same traits in every possible respect).

--------------------

Offlinerollinhard
I typically use search
 User Gallery

#9678373 - 01/25/09 06:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i want time stamps on the pics too, and don't try to pull a fast one and change the date :mad: i'll know

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678374 - 01/25/09 06:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Good, I'll be waiting on a full pictorial of the whole tek from start to finish.

Actually, Veda already said it all in the second post of the thread:

Quote:

You can actually do a grain to grain kind thing with a pf cake. But it has to be freshly birthed in a sterile enviroment (glovebox,flowhood) to work.

You cant use a spent cake. The mycelium is old and weak, plus its covered in contaminants.

--------------------

Links:

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678424 - 01/25/09 06:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Rollinhard, when you have a culture syringe that is contaminated, you sterilize it?!

how does that work for you?

and although your last post quoting me wasn't clear, my comment on the syringes likely being bad was in response to monkeybus's suggestion...  I don't think it's a good suggestion, especially because of the amount of comtams on the cakes I use.

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678496 - 01/25/09 06:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Let's see. You claim you can put contaminates and spent mycelium mixed with sterile substrate in a jar, and have the mycelium fully colonize it. As opposed to what logically would happen, that the contaminates would take over the substrate way faster than the old and weak mycelium. Yet, conveniently enough, you have no substantial evidence in the form of pictures of this happening, and when someone challenges your word you insult them. You have registered a few days ago, you have posted no previous grows on this forum, you have less than 50 posts and no one knows who the fuck you are. And we're just supposed to believe you?

I have one word: shenanigans. That's right, shenanigans.

For all we know you could be a fundamentalist religious nut who thinks mushrooms are the devil's work and wants every new grower to fail, and thus posts bullshit teks online.

Hey, I'll apologize you when I see substantial proof that the methods you describe will work with any consistency, until then, I call shenanigans.

--------------------

Links:

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

#9678507 - 01/25/09 06:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

shenanigan (plural shenanigans)

1. Trickery, games; skulduggery. To "call", "claim" or "declare" shenanigans is to rhetorically and ironically label something as officially deceitful, improper, or otherwise incorrect.

"The advertisement said it would cost $50 but they charged me $75 at the register. I declare shenanigans." The speaker passes off the statement as having some sort of implied official effect, but in reality, it is simply a complaint.

2. A deceitful confidence trick, or mischief causing discomfort or annoyance. Often the term is used in the plural: shenanigans. The word may have come from the Irish language, however in some regions, shenanigans can merely be harmless mischievous play, especially by children.

You should learn to spot their shenanigans and avoid being fooled.

--------------------

Links:

Offlinerollinhard
I typically use search
 User Gallery

#9678558 - 01/25/09 06:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DomiNero said:
Rollinhard, when you have a culture syringe that is contaminated, you sterilize it?!

and although your last post quoting me wasn't clear, my comment on the syringes likely being bad was in response to monkeybus's suggestion...  I don't think it's a good suggestion, especially because of the amount of comtams on the cakes I use.

Works well, don't make/get a syringe thats contamed? if you know it's contamed follow my new tek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rollinhards clean syringe tek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
empty it
PC it

voila  enjoy

--------------------

Edited by rollinhard (01/25/09 06:55 PM)

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678678 - 01/25/09 07:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Uhh, ok.

trust me you won't even need time stamps. The jars look very unique for the first two days. It actually looks like it's got mold cuz all the myc is bruised.

I understand your skepticism, the first time I tried this my hands were shaking cuz I was nervous and trying to be swift about it... Again no flowhood and I didn't make a GB, and I was sure it would fail. But if a mold spores have germinated they certainly get swamped by the growing myc, because all of my jars have ended up healthy and I have gotten a lot of shrooms.

And I am a new user, yes, religious nut, maybe. I have been hesitant to get on the boards (though I love them) since what happened to overgrow. I was KGB_Konstantin there and posted for years.

Not trying to sabotage, I just thought people would be more like "that's interesting I'll try that" since it doesn't really take long, not "that doesn't work" which is difficult for me as IT IS WORKING.

I came to the shroomery with nothing but goodwill and all you 'experienced'(i.e. lots o' posts) growers are telling me it's bunk.

Notice the one guy who sounded interested has about as many posts as me...

I think telling people to sterilize their cultures is sabotage.

--------------------

OfflineDomiNero
Stranger

#9678749 - 01/25/09 07:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rollinhard said:
Quote:

DomiNero said:

Works well, don't make/get a syringe thats contamed? if you know it's contamed follow my new tek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rollinhards clean syringe tek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
empty it
PC it

voila  enjoy 

Dude you need to go back and read the succession of post so you can understand what is going on. You obviously misunderstand everything I say.

GUY SAYS:SQUIRT STERILE WATER IN A CAKE SHAKE AND 'ENJOY'

I SAY: COOL, NOW YOU GOT CONTAMS (IN YOUR CULTURE), WTF ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH THAT SYRINGE?

RH SAYS: STERILIZE IT

I ASK: ARE YOU KIDDING (CUZ YOU KILLED THE CULTURE, AND WASTED YOUR TIME)

Dude I know how to make sterile syringes I made a very good tek and it works every time.

--------------------

Edited by DomiNero (01/25/09 07:19 PM)

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9679191 - 01/25/09 08:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:

I'll back this up with a real world account. I tried to clone some MYC out of a old monotub for a strain that I didn't have anymore spores for. All I ended up getting was one jar with small growth, that took forever to get). That jar got contaminated and another jar that never even grew (the liquid in the LC was perfectly clear like a new jar).

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract